Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Finn Russell

Post by Tiglon »

BFG wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:36 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:28 pm Seems a bit harsh to boot him out for going out on the lash with his mates who he might not have seen for ages, does feel sometimes like the game is too quick to forget these lads are in their mid 20s and still learning about life. Even three pints deep he'd still be their best player!
I think that he was always going to be walking a fine line with some of the self interested taking over.
Hastings I don't rate, I've seen better in National Two!
Possibly led to Russell not giving a!
I mean did anyone ever hear of a player actually asking for the captaincy and getting it, back in my day of you made such a request then you might get the opportunity, in the fourth team!
Whatever the situation in the squad and the qualities of those around him, if you get told by your teammates to stop drinking, but carry on, then told by your bosses to stop drinking, but carry on, then fail to turn up for training the next day - surely you deserve to be disciplined?

He's a grown man and a very well paid professional, not a 16 year old kid on minimum wage.

If getting smashed is more more important to him than giving his best for his country, then let him go get drunk somewhere else.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:28 pm Seems a bit harsh to boot him out for going out on the lash with his mates who he might not have seen for ages, does feel sometimes like the game is too quick to forget these lads are in their mid 20s and still learning about life. Even three pints deep he'd still be their best player!
I think that he was always going to be walking a fine line with some of the self interested taking over.
I mean did anyone ever hear of a player actually asking for the captaincy and getting it, back in my day of you made such a request then you might get the opportunity, in the fourth team!
I know you’re entitled to your opinion but I can only assume you haven’t seen Hastings play recently for Glasgow, he was the main reason they drew with Exeter recently and has been getting rave reviews.
Still as I say it’s your opinion and yours are often very different
LondonRich
Tiger Cub

Post by LondonRich »

Sad news as a Scotland fan.

I saw a breakdown on twitter of the timeline - wouldn't have been at the hotel until 7:45/8:00PM on the Sunday and was at his parents in Stirling by 10:00PM. You could fill the gaps with he's likely had 2-3 beers, someone asked him to stop and they've had a bit of an argument about it and Finn has walked out of camp and intentionally skipped training on Monday. 'Breach of protocol' is the official reason, but some journos confirming there is no formal protocol on alcohol with Scotland (a la EJ with England, you are trusted). If he's had 2 beers after a tough game and a long journey and been pulled up on it with no formal agreement in place, even as a Scotland fan, I think I back him in arguing he's done nothing wrong and walking out. There's the ideals for sports performance and there's understanding human factors. As much as Sarries are being dragged through the mud at the minute, you cannot argue they understand their players as humans and the complexities that come with that and get top level performances as a result (regardless of salary implications!). This is all conjecture, but if as described I think Gregor has handled it quite poorly and the team will suffer because of it. That being said, looking forward to seeing Horne and Hastings as a half back pairing vs Ireland!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:13 pm
I know you’re entitled to your opinion but I can only assume you haven’t seen Hastings play recently for Glasgow, he was the main reason they drew with Exeter recently and has been getting rave reviews.
Yes they are often very different opinions and I'm very comfortable with that.
Rave reviews, I've not seen that many but did hear the commentary on the Exeter game, do you know who was on commentary for the Exeter game?
I thought Hastings defence looked reluctant and attack limited by Russell's standard.
I'm not that keen on players who smile a lot after simple errors.
Not my favourite player by a long way, just my opinion.
We will find out soon enough in the 6N though.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:01 pm
Whatever the situation in the squad and the qualities of those around him, if you get told by your teammates to stop drinking, but carry on, then told by your bosses to stop drinking, but carry on, then fail to turn up for training the next day - surely you deserve to be disciplined?

He's a grown man and a very well paid professional, not a 16 year old kid on minimum wage.

If getting smashed is more more important to him than giving his best for his country, then let him go get drunk somewhere else.
I've never heard of a player asking for the captaincy let alone getting it.
That's a coaching decision.
Not a good sign in my opinion.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

BFG wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:48 pm

It does sound a bit strange, but not much different to applying for a promotion. You would hope the coaches said "yes" because they also thought he was the best man for the job, but who knows.

Doesn't excuse other players behaving poorly, but LondonRich offers a different story to that which I read, so perhaps I'm being harsh. Depends on the details and context.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:59 pm
BFG wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:48 pm

It does sound a bit strange, but not much different to applying for a promotion. You would hope the coaches said "yes" because they also thought he was the best man for the job, but who knows.

Doesn't excuse other players behaving poorly, but LondonRich offers a different story to that which I read, so perhaps I'm being harsh. Depends on the details and context.
Yes agree, in the end it's the coaches choice and the player may have been in consideration anyway, but as you say it does sound a bit strange.
I thought it strange again to release information of the captaincy request to the media.
These things can have an impact on the mentality of a squad.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:45 pm
Mark62 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:13 pm

Yes they are often very different opinions and I'm very comfortable with that.
Rave reviews, I've not seen that many but did hear the commentary on the Exeter game, do you know who was on commentary for the Exeter game?
I thought Hastings defence looked reluctant and attack limited by Russell's standard.
I'm not that keen on players who smile a lot after simple errors.
Not my favourite player by a long way, just my opinion.
We will find out soon enough in the 6N though.
Well I watched it and yes it was his Uncle Scott along with Dave Denton and Austin Healey, who doesn’t hold back on his opinions and was very complementary about Hastings.
Don’t think I ever said he was at Russell’s level, but it was time for him to step up
Any other questions?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I have never been a Finn Russell fan, I think he can be a liability, brilliant 1 minute then throwing ridiculous passes the next. Overrated! Hastings looks good to me.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Selected for Racing this weekend... and Duncan Weir has been called up in his place.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

LE18 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:19 pm I have never been a Finn Russell fan, I think he can be a liability, brilliant 1 minute then throwing ridiculous passes the next. Overrated! Hastings looks good to me.
Hastings can be exactly the same. He's had some very memorable brain farts.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

biffer wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:24 pm
LE18 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:19 pm I have never been a Finn Russell fan, I think he can be a liability, brilliant 1 minute then throwing ridiculous passes the next. Overrated! Hastings looks good to me.
Hastings can be exactly the same. He's had some very memorable brain farts.
I don't really care, they are both Scots, I'm English, so pick who they like as long as we win.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Dear Eddie, could you please "arrange it" for Manu to run at Hastings all match and I'll send you a Tigers beanie hat to wear on your next visit to Northampton.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

One story, (The Times) had Russell in a stand up row with Townsend at half-time during last year's Calcutta Cup (31-8) over tactics (FT 38-38)
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:12 pm One story, (The Times) had Russell in a stand up row with Townsend at half-time during last year's Calcutta Cup (31-8) over tactics (FT 38-38)
No Russell in the training squad for Saturday
God created rugby so footballers have heros too