Bath vs. Tigers - Sat 25 Jan 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JayC2
Tiger Cub

Re: Bath vs. Tigers - Sat 25 Jan 15:00

Post by JayC2 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:28 pm
This opinion that GM took one for the team by accepting the job just doesn't work for me either. The right thing to do would have been to say "I'm flattered Simon, but I'm just not ready and I am not the right man for the job - there are plenty of more experienced coaches out there who could do a much better job". Again, I bear no ill will towards him for it, it was a brave decision, but it was the wrong decision.
In a Q&A with Geordie a few months ago he told us that when he was interviewed for the HC position he requested the board to interview external people as well as himself in order to make the best decision for Tigers...

I took that at face value as I have met him a couple of times and he is a very genuine bloke.

Our tactics and execution on the pitch suggest that the HC role is not working out for him, but our recent recruitment of coaches and players suggest that a DoR role might just suit him...

Either way he will remain a club legend for his playing exploits.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

JayC2 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:02 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:28 pm
This opinion that GM took one for the team by accepting the job just doesn't work for me either. The right thing to do would have been to say "I'm flattered Simon, but I'm just not ready and I am not the right man for the job - there are plenty of more experienced coaches out there who could do a much better job". Again, I bear no ill will towards him for it, it was a brave decision, but it was the wrong decision.
In a Q&A with Geordie a few months ago he told us that when he was interviewed for the HC position he requested the board to interview external people as well as himself in order to make the best decision for Tigers...

I took that at face value as I have met him a couple of times and he is a very genuine bloke.

Our tactics and execution on the pitch suggest that the HC role is not working out for him, but our recent recruitment of coaches and players suggest that a DoR role might just suit him...

Either way he will remain a club legend for his playing exploits.
Recruitment of coaches and players to date is done by the Rugby Board as a collective, not just Murphy.

The fact is Murphy is Tigers worse ever head coach and whilst his promotion to DOR role undoubtedly suits him, it simply beggars belief that the Board has rewarded him for his previous horrendous job performance.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

sapajo wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:05 pm Recruitment of coaches and players to date is done by the Rugby Board as a collective, not just Murphy.

The fact is Murphy is Tigers worse ever head coach and whilst his promotion to DOR role undoubtedly suits him, it simply beggars belief that the Board has rewarded him for his previous horrendous job performance.
Maybe, and I know this is a bit radical..... they're rewarding him for holding the fort until they got someone more suitable? :smt017
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

fentiger wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:41 pm
sapajo wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:05 pm Recruitment of coaches and players to date is done by the Rugby Board as a collective, not just Murphy.

Maybe, and I know this is a bit radical..... they're rewarding him for holding the fort until they got someone more
suitable? :smt017
I would not describe finishing 11th last season and only being saved from relegation this season by Sarries as " holding the fort" and no he should not be rewarded for it.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

18 months to find someone more suitable? That would make the BoD utterly incompetent...
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:14 pm If it is possible to organise the season so that Premiership games are not played during the international periods then great, but unfortunately currently we have to.
I disagree with many of the comments on this thread, Saturday was an old fashioned game on an old fashioned pitch. There were mistakes, our lineout was poor, it usually seems to be when the opposition have a player recently in our squad. The game could have gone either way, like a few others I thought that even with our team missing most of their England players we could win. Lineout apart we won the forward battle, Bath had the edge when they moved the ball out wide. Our young halfbacks did ok and will have learned from the experience. Obviously there were mistakes by both teams in those conditions, we came out on the wrong side of the scoreline, there have been fairly recent games at the Rec when we were miles away from a win or a losing bonus point. Despite the result there are signs that we are on the way back, close season recruitment and the development of our young guys will eventually get us back to where we all want our team to be.
Another intelligent post johnthegriff. We got an away point. We got closer to the top and further away from the bottom. It’s hardly the end of the world. After a predictably poor start to the season we are inching our way back to the pack.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:48 pm 18 months to find someone more suitable? That would make the BoD utterly incompetent...
You don’t think, considering the timing, it would be a wise business decision to wait until after the World Cup?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Closer to the top, yes, but even the most optimistic of us surely doesn't believe we have a chance of catching chiefs.

We're also further adrift from the teams immediately above us. If last weekend was a success for Tigers then I'd hate to see what a failure looks like. I hope the team aren't so happy with defeat.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

anz3001 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:55 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:48 pm 18 months to find someone more suitable? That would make the BoD utterly incompetent...
You don’t think, considering the timing, it would be a wise business decision to wait until after the World Cup?
The timing? More than 12 months before the World Cup? No I do not think that is a wise decision. What kind of wise business goes nearly 2 years with a leader who is just "holding the fort"?

Treading water is as good as going backwards, and that's exactly what we've been doing because it's taken 2 years to find a HC.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:57 pm Closer to the top, yes, but even the most optimistic of us surely doesn't believe we have a chance of catching chiefs.

We're also further adrift from the teams immediately above us. If last weekend was a success for Tigers then I'd hate to see what a failure looks like. I hope the team aren't so happy with defeat.
I hope the team have the intelligence to view this result in context. :-)
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

teds wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:07 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:57 pm Closer to the top, yes, but even the most optimistic of us surely doesn't believe we have a chance of catching chiefs.

Well of course. But no winner ever looked back at a defeat with a shrug of a shoulders and "well it doesn't matter anyway".
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:00 pm
The timing? More than 12 months before the World Cup? No I do not think that is a wise decision. What kind of wise business goes nearly 2 years with a leader who is just "holding the fort"?

Treading water is as good as going backwards, and that's exactly what we've been doing because it's taken 2 years to find a HC.
Perhaps the board were searching the world for the best coach this time.......if they decided on Borthwick before the RWC they must of known he wasn't going to come till after it, it's just odd we didn't get him straight after it.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:16 pm

Well of course. But no winner ever looked back at a defeat with a shrug of a shoulders and "well it doesn't matter anyway".
I am not sure any poster on this forum has ever suggested that players should say it doesn’t matter. Some have suggested, wrongly in my opinion, that players don’t look like they care.

The reality is pretty much all the players care but caring and effort isn’t always enough, you need confidence and confidence has to be built through progress. To do this you have to celebrate the small positives.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:00 am
Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:00 pm

Perhaps the board were searching the world for the best coach this time.......if they decided on Borthwick before the RWC they must of known he wasn't going to come till after it, it's just odd we didn't get him straight after it.
I’m sure I read somewhere a while back that the RFU top man had suggested that SB had a six month notice clause....
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

teds wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:52 am
Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:16 pm

I am not sure any poster on this forum has ever suggested that players should say it doesn’t matter. Some have suggested, wrongly in my opinion, that players don’t look like they care.

The reality is pretty much all the players care but caring and effort isn’t always enough, you need confidence and confidence has to be built through progress. To do this you have to celebrate the small positives.
You also have to be angry at failure. Anyone who sees losing as a positive is not going to do very well.

"Great loss guys, more of the same next week!" :smt017