Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Bath vs. Tigers - Sat 25 Jan 15:00

Post by Tiglon »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:08 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:48 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:03 pm So where exactly is the evidence that the players or coaches are patting themselves on the back when losing? I certainly haven’t seen anything. Very much the reverse. Please point me in the right direction.
I'm not saying they are. Others are saying they should, I'm saying they should not.

I hope that helps.

I'm not saying the players should swear at the referee either.

When the question is "is the glass half full or half empty?" The answer can be both or neither. It can't be one but not the other.
The problem I have with what you say is that you come across as the glass is totally empty when we lose. Irrespective of what the performance was like. At times it has been, but recently there have been things which others on here see as positives and steps on the road to getting wins. In other words the glass is now maybe one third full. And if we keep improving it could soon be half full/empty. But no. A loss is a loss. End of. Nothing good to take from it. And anyone who thinks there is, is...

Teams don't go from zero to hero in one step. Some never make it, but the ones that do, do it in stages.
Well then you aren't reading all my posts. I have made numerous comments about positives regarding the Bath match, about individuals players, the team as a whole and coaching. That you choose to only reply to my less positive comments is not a reflection of my mentality.

Which brings me on to this post...
ay2oh wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:07 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:03 pm So where exactly is the evidence that the players or coaches are patting themselves on the back when losing? I certainly haven’t seen anything. Very much the reverse. Please point me in the right direction.
I'm not saying they are. Others are saying they should, I'm saying they should not.

I hope that helps.

When the question is "is the glass half full or half empty?" The answer can be both or neither. It can't be one but not the other.
I don’t think you are quite grasping the meaning of half full/half empty. Let’s phrase it another way. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being negative and 10 being positive where would you place yourself. Looking at the majority of your. Posts I would say 3.
We are all fans on here and we all want the team to do well but certain posters seem to only focus on the negative aspects of the team and take great joy in criticising those of us that can see small shoots of improvement :smt016
..again, if you think I only focus on the negative then you haven't read a lot of my posts.

You have also misunderstood my point about the glass. Literally speaking, if the glass is half full it must also be half empty. This is pretty simple, but there's a deeper meaning. If you choose one or the other on a philosophical level then you are ignoring half the story and your view will be unbalanced.

My negative posts are a response to the posts which ignore the negatives and therefore would benefit from them being added. If you tell me Tigers are completely awful and are doomed to failure, I will tell you 5 reasons why they are not awful and may have a bright future. If you tell me Tigers are brilliant and assured of being back at the top of the game in the near future, I will tell you 5 reasons why they are not brilliant and may not have a bright future. Why? Because there are two sides to every story and too many members of this forum only ever see one, whether it be the positive or negative - the discussion needs balance. If the discussion is all "Tigers are brilliant" and I post "Tigers a brilliant" what have I added? Nothing. If I post "Tigers are not entirely brilliant and this is the reason why" what have I added? Balance.

I realise I'm probably not explaining it very well, and even if I am it will probably be ignored regardless and the response will be something about my glass, but it's worth a try.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

This glass half empty/full argument doesn't work for me given the situation, Leicester came 11th in a league of 12 in a much disrupted 2018/19 season.
From my perspective the glass was 10/12 empty, a lower starting point in what was always likely to be a more difficult 2019/20 season anyway in supporting so many selected England players after a World Cup and then going into a 6N.
If they could just change something/anything at all then it'd be a bit more helpful if they could delay the 6N tournament after a World Cup tournament, maybe even to the following summer then it would give a much clearer picture.
Were Leicester getting better before 6N selection kicked in?
We're going to have to wait until the run in to find out more!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:06 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:08 pm

I hope that helps.

The problem I have with what you say is that you come across as the glass is totally empty when we lose. Irrespective of what the performance was like. At times it has been, but recently there have been things which others on here see as positives and steps on the road to getting wins. In other words the glass is now maybe one third full. And if we keep improving it could soon be half full/empty. But no. A loss is a loss. End of. Nothing good to take from it. And anyone who thinks there is, is...

Teams don't go from zero to hero in one step. Some never make it, but the ones that do, do it in stages.
Well then you aren't reading all my posts. I have made numerous comments about positives regarding the Bath match, about individuals players, the team as a whole and coaching. That you choose to only reply to my less positive comments is not a reflection of my mentality.

Which brings me on to this post...
ay2oh wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:07 pm

I hope that helps.

I don’t think you are quite grasping the meaning of half full/half empty. Let’s phrase it another way. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being negative and 10 being positive where would you place yourself. Looking at the majority of your. Posts I would say 3.
We are all fans on here and we all want the team to do well but certain posters seem to only focus on the negative aspects of the team and take great joy in criticising those of us that can see small shoots of improvement :smt016
..again, if you think I only focus on the negative then you haven't read a lot of my posts.

You have also misunderstood my point about the glass. Literally speaking, if the glass is half full it must also be half empty. This is pretty simple, but there's a deeper meaning. If you choose one or the other on a philosophical level then you are ignoring half the story and your view will be unbalanced.

My negative posts are a response to the posts which ignore the negatives and therefore would benefit from them being added. If you tell me Tigers are completely awful and are doomed to failure, I will tell you 5 reasons why they are not awful and may have a bright future. If you tell me Tigers are brilliant and assured of being back at the top of the game in the near future, I will tell you 5 reasons why they are not brilliant and may not have a bright future. Why? Because there are two sides to every story and too many members of this forum only ever see one, whether it be the positive or negative - the discussion needs balance. If the discussion is all "Tigers are brilliant" and I post "Tigers a brilliant" what have I added? Nothing. If I post "Tigers are not entirely brilliant and this is the reason why" what have I added? Balance.

I realise I'm probably not explaining it very well, and even if I am it will probably be ignored regardless and the response will be something about my glass, but it's worth a try.
I have read all your posts, but as I said it's the way that you come across, possibly as there are more posts where you are pointing out the negatives than the positives. This may be down to you replying to the people that you perceive as only seeing positives. Personally, I don't see many, if any people who think the Tiger's world is rosy. They may only mention the positives, but in the way of specific aspects such as "the scrum went well" or "TV and Olowofela linked well", or more generically, the "defence has improved". I can't remember anyone saying we were brilliant.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I never said that anyone did say we were brilliant.

This whole thing started with my response to someone who said "we are inching our way back to the pack" after the Bath game. Which is simply not true given that we are now more points behind the teams above than we were previously.

Sorry, but that is just reality.

People can insult my personality and way of thinking as much as they like, but it won't change the facts.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:38 pm I never said that anyone did say we were brilliant.

This whole thing started with my response to someone who said "we are inching our way back to the pack" after the Bath game. Which is simply not true given that we are now more points behind the teams above than we were previously.

Sorry, but that is just reality.

People can insult my personality and way of thinking as much as they like, but it won't change the facts.
Compelling facts from both sides but I left this forum because Ellis9 etc only ever wanted to have the last word, so it just became tedious.

If we could agree to disagree and move on, you might see a broader church of posters.
Just saying
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Chill, all. Stand down your egos, it's only a game.
Also remember this forum nearly died a few years ago due to vendettas being created, and unbrookable opinions being posted.
PS I know, I did it later with my MOC issues, as longlivethecrumbie knows only too well.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

+1, and I know of several people who have given up on this forum for this reason. Can I suggest that if anyone wants to have a pop at some-one else, they send a private message?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

This forum is open for all users to express their views and discuss the topic in question. Please respect other users opinions even if you do not agree and users should not be targetted with insults. We all have the interests of rugby but not all are in agreement on decisions etc.
:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk