Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Bath vs. Tigers - Sat 25 Jan 15:00

Post by BFG »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:59 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:34 pm Some good stuff and some really not so good stuff but there is no shame in a 13-10 away loss.
It's very hard to make judgements as that pitch is a leveller however I do think that the backs lacked cutting edge.
Players like Simmons and Costelow have that kind of talent that brings more of a cutting edge and need blooding whilst there is no relegation in my opinion.
Also wouldn't mind seeing the occasional new young forward.
A 13-10 away loss, there’s no shame in that you’re right, especially given our away form (1 away win in 18 months and that was against the team that got relegated!) but the manner in which that match was played.. that’s what is so frustrating! Clueless kicking, unnecessary offloads and a shambles at the lineout from start to finish.

The positives; much better attacking structure by the forwards, some good defence at times and a LBP at least!

Very disappointing and doesn’t bode well for the 6N period that’s for sure. Gap at the bottom has increased once again. All I can say is thank Goodness for Saracens with respect to this season but if we don’t sharpen up then it’s extremely worrying for next season!
I don't disagree with anything stated.
Yes some silly errors today.
Some repetitive.
The odd mistake will happen and that's alright but only if you win.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Sounds like Hooper thinks we are inferior material judging by his comments on BBC

"We let Leicester dictate the tempo of the game, we knew with their forwards that they would slow the game down, and we were getting to their levels rather than those we wanted to set."

And it sounds like some Tigers players might get the hairdryer treatment based on GM interview:

"It was a particularly ugly game but one we could have won so I'm gutted. A lot of guys will come under pressure because it was costly."
Last edited by Scuttle on Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As Good As It Gets
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I don’t know about “ hairdryer treatment” as Geordan went on to hint some players were tired and needed a rest! I’d have the hookers and forwards in tomorrow to practice throwing in and lineouts!
How many games have we lost due, or not won, to awful lineouts ?

Like most fans I want us to finish the season well away from the bottom of the league and winning the European Challenge Cup.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Went to Bath to watch the game with my son who lives in Bath.
Probably the worst game I’ve seen in many a year, both sides poor but Tigers were awful. Our line out was very poor and Tom Young’s must take responsibility as his throwing in was dismal, he should not be the starting hooker and used only when our other hookers unavailable.
Spencer was ineffective for such a big unit, lots of the Bath fans around me couldn’t understand why we signed him, Bath didn’t rate him and Worcester unloaded him as soon as they could, poor recruiting.
At least Bath scored tries from back moves but our backs never looked like scoring even though we had parity in possession, the only person we can blame for this is Murphy, he is truly an incompetent coach, unable to bring any structure and game plan into our game.
Murphy has no talent or rugby intelligence to coach a premiership rugby club and fail to understand why our board keep him employed in any capacity.
Time for him to go. A honourable man would have realised his limitations by now and resigned but I think he is to arrogant to see his very low coaching abilities.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It’s a shame Hatley will save Bath’s blushes and Hooper’s job, who does he think he is, basically saying that we were dragging his team to our level of :censored? They only won down to individuals today.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:54 pm It’s a shame Hatley will save Bath’s blushes and Hooper’s job, who does he think he is, basically saying that we were dragging his team to our level of :censored? They only won down to individuals today.
He probably thinks he's the coach whose team just played the worst team in the league. Hard to argue with him really.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well there’s lies, damned lies and there’s statistics!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:06 pm Well there’s lies, damned lies and there’s statistics!
Good point. Facts are irrelevant because of a cliche that gets trotted out every time someone doesn't like a statistic but can't think of a sensible argument.

You think we're not the worst team in the league? Why have we only won two matches this season? Is it the referees fault? Artificial pitches? Nigel Wray?

Or... could it be because we've played worse than the other teams?
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

The lineout is a mess we lose the game, have I heard that before?
Under pressure Tom Youngs could not hit a cows behind with a banjo, for how many years has that been true?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

BengalTiger wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:14 am The lineout is a mess we lose the game, have I heard that before?
Under pressure Tom Youngs could not hit a cows behind with a banjo, for how many years has that been true?
We have one consistent (senior squad) Hooker at the club (imho) but he rarely even makes it onto the bench sadly. Such a shame we let Thacker and McGuigan go.. how we could use them now. I sincerely hope this is an area that is completely overhauled during the summer
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:19 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:06 pm Well there’s lies, damned lies and there’s statistics!
Good point. Facts are irrelevant because of a cliche that gets trotted out every time someone doesn't like a statistic but can't think of a sensible argument.

You think we're not the worst team in the league? Why have we only won two matches this season? Is it the referees fault? Artificial pitches? Nigel Wray?

For me, especially away, tactics have really let us down, bar the Saracens game (I know we lost against Exeter) at home we have played quite well/reasonably well. I tend to properly judge how bad/good when the table is finished.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:38 am

For me, especially away, tactics have really let us down
You mean we actually had tactics yesterday?!!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Just seen the highlights, defence on Homer’s try really poor from both Olowofela and Veainu.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:46 am
JP14 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:38 am

For me, especially away, tactics have really let us down
You mean we actually had tactics yesterday?!!
Of course Tigers had tactics here they are:

1. Am I a Forward? Yes - then head down and run into someone.
2. Am I a Centre or Wing? Yes - then pass to a Half Back or Full Back.
3. Am I a Half Back or Full Back? Yes - then hoof it somewhere.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Seems to me, and a fair few others, methinks, that not only should Murphy especially , the whole coaching team bar Stanko, the Youngs Brothers, and a shed load of Championship standard players, new and old, be booted out at the end of the season. Something stinks ooop top at Welford Road.
Oh and I stupidly forgot. The whole :censored: Board.