Bath vs. Tigers - Sat 25 Jan 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Bath vs. Tigers - Sat 25 Jan 15:00

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Such a frustrating game. I felt before the game we should win. With 15 minutes to go I was confident we would win, yet same old stories and we go to record another loss.

Bar Lavanini and Taufua, who else in the forwards are standing up to be counted? Yes, Wells played very well and conditions like this suit him at 6. Yet that’s still 5 forwards on the field who aren’t producing the goods.

Look clueless in backs. So happy Borthwick is joining but we could do with a backs coach to seriously kick on. Hardwick is probably more a 12. I’ve been very supportive of Olowofela but he was awful today. We’ve got two exceptional wingers in Browning and Gilliand so he needs to step up or risk not making it.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

That was disappointing, to say the least. I wasn't expecting a win but as RagingBull wrote earlier, that was a game that could have been won if only Tigers had shown a bit of nous when in the lead and didn't give the ball away so often. The line-out was a disaster with Bath players disrupting at every opportunity. In the tight, it seemed as they'd begun to gain the upper hand but unfortunately it fizzled out.
They're now 5 points adrift of Irish and Quins and 6 from Wasps and Worcester so the match at home to Wasps in three weeks on Feb 15th is now of even greater significance. Wasps will be buoyed up with their bp win at Worcester and will undoubtedly fancy their chances. They'll get nowt from the away trip to Sale on Feb 21st (a Friday night too!) and then it's Worcester at home on Saturday Feb 29th.
You regular supporters at Welford Road had better check your stock of brown trousers, cos you'll be needing them next month!
Semper in excretia
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Some good stuff and some really not so good stuff but there is no shame in a 13-10 away loss.
It's very hard to make judgements as that pitch is a leveller however I do think that the backs lacked cutting edge.
Players like Simmons and Costelow have that kind of talent that brings more of a cutting edge and need blooding whilst there is no relegation in my opinion.
Also wouldn't mind seeing the occasional new young forward.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:31 pm Such a frustrating game. I felt before the game we should win. With 15 minutes to go I was confident we would win, yet same old stories and we go to record another loss.

Bar Lavanini and Taufua, who else in the forwards are standing up to be counted? Yes, Wells played very well and conditions like this suit him at 6. Yet that’s still 5 forwards on the field who aren’t producing the goods.

Look clueless in backs. So happy Borthwick is joining but we could do with a backs coach to seriously kick on. Hardwick is probably more a 12. I’ve been very supportive of Olowofela but he was awful today. We’ve got two exceptional wingers in Browning and Gilliand so he needs to step up or risk not making it.
Browning and Giliand both won't be ready for at least another season judging by the A league stuff.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

by LE18 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:21 pm

Did Simmons get on, if not, why not? SHs don't do 80+ mins, that's the second time! Is summat up there? I'm starting to think so! :smt013
Maybe Simmons didn't come on because White played well and the more experienced player was seen as the right one to get through a tight 10/15 minutes at the end.
Experienced players who kick the ball away with 2 minutes to go and we never see it again. That was poor, very, very poor.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

MCC1964 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:01 pm From what I have just watched Glaws will be plummeting down the league unless Cips comes back.
The refs fault apparently, usual Glaws comment after being taken apart.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Again we lose a game through poor basic skills: lineout and then poor kick to give the ball away with 2 minutes to go.
Wasps will now be huge favourites to beat us at home.
There is huge talent in the team but until this lineout is sorted we will keep losing.
Well done the Academy: not afraid to play to win.

Will be at the Wasps game but not looking forward to it. Like going to away games : do it to support but rarely expect us to perform well.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

BFG wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:34 pm Some good stuff and some really not so good stuff but there is no shame in a 13-10 away loss.
It's very hard to make judgements as that pitch is a leveller however I do think that the backs lacked cutting edge.
Players like Simmons and Costelow have that kind of talent that brings more of a cutting edge and need blooding whilst there is no relegation in my opinion.
Also wouldn't mind seeing the occasional new young forward.
A 13-10 away loss, there’s no shame in that you’re right, especially given our away form (1 away win in 18 months and that was against the team that got relegated!) but the manner in which that match was played.. that’s what is so frustrating! Clueless kicking, unnecessary offloads and a shambles at the lineout from start to finish.

The positives; much better attacking structure by the forwards, some good defence at times and a LBP at least!

Very disappointing and doesn’t bode well for the 6N period that’s for sure. Gap at the bottom has increased once again. All I can say is thank Goodness for Saracens with respect to this season but if we don’t sharpen up then it’s extremely worrying for next season!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:51 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:01 pm From what I have just watched Glaws will be plummeting down the league unless Cips comes back.
The refs fault apparently, usual Glaws comment after being taken apart.
:smt003
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Can’t we just make GM DOR of catering and let Borthwick sort this out, honestly how did we mess that up!!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:19 pm Can’t we just make GM DOR of catering and let Borthwick sort this out, honestly how did we mess that up!!
I thought the food at WR was already bad enough as it is?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

G.K wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:26 pm
baz1664 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:19 pm Can’t we just make GM DOR of catering and let Borthwick sort this out, honestly how did we mess that up!!
I thought the food at WR was already bad enough as it is?
He certainly could make it go from bad to worse in record time. The greatest teflon man in rugby history.
Last edited by sapajo on Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:31 pm Such a frustrating game. I felt before the game we should win. With 15 minutes to go I was confident we would win, yet same old stories and we go to record another loss.

Dan Cole had a good game. Kalamafoni had his moments. The issue was really the lineout, Tom Youngs had a shocker sadly. Spencer was solid enough.

Bateman off the bench made two errors ball in hand that really didn't help our cause, killed two breaks. Firstly knocking on when making a half break under little pressure and then offloading to a Bath player instead of the three Tigers options.

We needed to move the ball with the forwards more, there was more of that in the second half but without getting in behind we were running the backs into brick walls. We need that momentum. It worked in parts.

A LBP away from home is a welcome change. More of that please.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Spencer was solid agreed, but where is that player who was being raved about and knocking on the door for England selection?

If he does stay next season, hopefully Borthwick can transform his game. Feel like he hasn’t been at the same standard he was last season. Wouldn’t be surprised if he did go though.

As for Olowofela needs to engage his brain. Gave away a stupid penalty for crossing. For their second try we had them outside our 22 until they went wide, 2 vs 2 and he went inside and created the overlap. He’s a very talented player as shown for Eng U20, but really needs to up his game.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:34 pm

A LBP away from home is a welcome change. More of that please.
More of those lesser spotted wins please never mind the LBPs!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!