Saracens are relegated!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Saracens Cap Investigation / Grounds for Appeal

Post by Hot_Charlie »

fentiger wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:28 pm Apparently the Saracens fine is being divvied up to the other Premiership clubs (hopefully including Newcastle?) so about £500k each :smt023
Good, although looking around social media their fans seem upset it’s not all going to charity.

Last time I checked, the guilty party don’t get to choose where a fine goes; they seem utterly unable to grasp that the actions of Saracens were nothing to do with player welfare, but no more than a well coordinated operation to ensure their top stars would not go looking elsewhere for work. Some also seem unable to fathom that other clubs probably have lost out financially during “the cheating years”.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

See that Exeter have donated their cut to their foundation charity.

Wonder what Tigers will do with theirs?
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

If as reported Exeter have given their portion of the Saracen's fine (£350,000) to charity good for them. My pedantic question is as follows
£5.3m ÷ 12 clubs (presume 12th club is Newcastle) = £441,000 approx or if as reported each club is getting £350,000 = £4.2m does that mean administration costs of £1.1m. If so any jobs going with PRL or are they also in breach of something?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:34 pm If as reported Exeter have given their portion of the Saracen's fine (£350,000) to charity good for them. My pedantic question is as follows
£5.3m ÷ 12 clubs (presume 12th club is Newcastle) = £441,000 approx or if as reported each club is getting £350,000 = £4.2m does that mean administration costs of £1.1m. If so any jobs going with PRL or are they also in breach of something?
They will have to pay the forensic accountants and lawyers that have been helping sort the mess out and who will be now doing additional work with the mess that's left.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Coops wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:01 pm See that Exeter have donated their cut to their foundation charity.

Free bar at the next home game?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Coops wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:01 pm See that Exeter have donated their cut to their foundation charity.

Tony Rowe quick out of the blocks again.
Maybe my cynical mind but he and Baxter are very good at diverting attention elsewhere.

I would hope Tigers would do something similar, maybe Hambo’s foundation
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:14 pm

Maybe my cynical mind but he and Baxter are very good at diverting attention elsewhere.

Not sure I understand your cynical mind. Why would Exeter need to divert anyone’s attention?

I would love them to donate it to Hambo’s foundation.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

teds wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:23 pm

Not sure I understand your cynical mind. Why would Exeter need to divert anyone’s attention?

Rowe has been very critical of what happened, many would say rightly so. As I say it is probably me being cynical but I do wonder just how white they are down there compared to what has gone on.
Nothing to base this on just a gut feeling
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Latest on BBC is that they may have to reduce their squad to comply this year. Or get payers to take a pay cut. To my way of thinking, this implies that they are still over the cap - so what will happen to the points they have won so far?
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:42 pm

Rowe has been very critical of what happened, many would say rightly so. As I say it is probably me being cynical but I do wonder just how white they are down there compared to what has gone on.
I agree it’s quite possible other clubs have abused the cap, albeit not to the extent that Saracens have.

That said, I actually suspect Exeter have been able to recruit and retain their talent because they have a good culture and frankly if you are young and active Exeter is a great place to live. Also they have a good history of year on year improvement, which will appeal to players.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I too hope Tigers donate to the Matt Hampson Foundation.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

teds wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:20 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:42 pm

I agree it’s quite possible other clubs have abused the cap, albeit not to the extent that Saracens have.

That said, I actually suspect Exeter have been able to recruit and retain their talent because they have a good culture and frankly if you are young and active Exeter is a great place to live. Also they have a good history of year on year improvement, which will appeal to players.
Teds you make some very good points. Now they are at the stage where they are recruiting world class players, Hogg and Gray, it will be interesting to see how that is maintained, and whether or not once the squad starts plateauing whether they can keep producing the young talent.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

CJ wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:10 pm Latest on BBC is that they may have to reduce their squad to comply this year. Or get payers to take a pay cut. To my way of thinking, this implies that they are still over the cap - so what will happen to the points they have won so far?
And the Telegraph includes this...
“ Saracens players will be forced to take salary cuts or face redundancy, incoming chief executive Edward Griffiths has warned, as the disgraced club takes unprecedented steps to slash costs in line with new pay-cap checks.

The all-conquering squad - which includes Owen Farrell and a host of England internationals preparing for next month's Six Nations - will be told in meetings this week that several players are potentially facing the axe due to increased scrutiny by Premiership Rugby.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... executive/
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

CJ wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:10 pm Latest on BBC is that they may have to reduce their squad to comply this year. Or get payers to take a pay cut. To my way of thinking, this implies that they are still over the cap - so what will happen to the points they have won so far?
If that's true, they just need to reduce their total salary cost for this salary cap year to within the cap. It's not worked out on a monthly basis, just the total for the year. So, if they spend 60% of the salary cap in the first half of the year, it's ok as long as they only spend 40% in the second half. There would be no problem with results so far.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

If Goode and Williams don't play this season they won't count towards the cap correct? In which case those two might get an extended rehab period. With Mallins and Gallagher playing well they aren't short at 15.