Saracens are relegated!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Saracens Cap Investigation

Post by JP14 »

The clubs might threaten to leave the Premiership and start a new one, but that might be an extreme reaction.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Six months and waiting, with a new season due to start in two weeks.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Sorry, eight months and waiting, with the new season due to start in a fortnight.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

And yet another week passes. Let's put this in context. The government enquiry into the financial collapse of 2008 and the role of RBS (one of the largest banks in the world at the time) took six months. The inquiry into Saracens has now taken eight months.

You would think that the honourable Nigel Wray, a man of integrity, courage and fortitude would want the spectre to be lifted from the club to which he is so utterly devoted. My heart goes out to him,. Tat he has to face the insinuation. of cheating without resolution. He deserves more.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Traveller wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:27 pm Let's put this in context. The government enquiry into the financial collapse of 2008 and the role of RBS.
There’s a problem with you context’o’meter
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

anz3001 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:18 am
Traveller wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:27 pm Let's put this in context. The government enquiry into the financial collapse of 2008 and the role of RBS.
There’s a problem with you context’o’meter
Expand?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Saracens also pay their players' companies hugely inflated image rights payments which might amount to tax evasion - in the opinion of a law firm who advise Saracens. Whether this has any bearing on the salary cap, I have no idea.

However, they certainly aren't the only sports club doing that, and I doubt they're the only rugby club.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

So it's official. The new season will start with the investigation into whether or not Saracens are cheating. Unresolved. That is a failure of leadership.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

HEADS HUNG IN SHAME.

Is not a failure to resolve " Bringing the game into disrepute". There by actionable.
or
Effectively a case of Sarries involvement in the World Cup a case of, lets not ruin our chances of trophy so we will deflect the result.?

My my makes me wonder if it had been Tigers under investigation how quick it would have been dealt with?

Just goes to show - YOU CAN BUY PREM TITLES
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Why the obsession with this, the truth will come out when everything is investigated properly, I’m sure other clubs make creative payments outside the cap to their players including Tigers.
Maybe the salary cap team that are investigating saracens are also looking at all the other teams in the league to make sure this practice is not widespread.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

BigDan50 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:15 pm the truth will come out when everything is investigated properly
Sadly, this is not the case.

Look back at the last (alleged) significant breach in 2015....
Premiership Rugby has concluded an investigation into alleged salary-cap breaches by an unspecified number of clubs but is not revealing any details after becoming mired in legal arguments other than to say no one will be docked any league points or fined because nothing was proved
(from The Guardian)

What gives you confidence that we'll be told what's actually happened?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I think the problem is mainly the fact it appears to have been a very small team (maybe just one bloke) who had to collate the evidence.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

I think we will get the same decision as last time, there are too many clubs who don't want any results of the enquiry made public.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

The matter was to be referred to an independent non-profit .org who to be fair seem to be pretty good at publishing decisions.

https://www.sportresolutions.co.uk/decisions

That said, I am not confident that we will hear the full details of any settlement, punishment, exoneration or indeed arbitration, but I agree with posters who have said this is a bit of a stain on the sport, so any resolution will be a positive step one way or another.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

BigDan50 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:58 pm I think we will get the same decision as last time, there are too many clubs who don't want any results of the enquiry made public.
If the reports are correct, there are at least 12 clubs who want the results to be made very public. The attitude is very different to the Sarries/Bath investigation a few years ago, which was meant to kept confidential (until some clubs made statements saying “it wasn’t us”).

Just one club doesn’t want it made public this time.