Saracens are relegated!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Saracens Cap Investigation / Grounds for Appeal

Post by Traveller »

The investigation was first announced in early March.

I would have thought all parties, the Premiership and Saracens in particular, would want this to be done and dusted.

Saracens is hardly Glaxo or Apple. It's a medium sized company with simple accounts for forensic accountants. The FRC investigation into Carillion only took three months. We are now deep into June.

I hope the delay is because the investigators are doing an extraordinarily thorough job. A cynic might think that some people are hoping the World Cup will be a distraction, and rather than the matter being 'done and dusted', the intention is to sweep things under the carpet.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Saracens Cap Investigation

Post by JP14 »

Wouldn’t be the first thing the RFU would have swept under the carpet.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

The appearance seems to be that the way Saracens players are compensated bears little relationship to how it might take place in a simple company.

For me it comes down to whether whatever Saracens are doing is that far away from what other clubs are doing. I’ve no objection to Saracens being hung out to dry, but any review would need to be of all 12 clubs to be fair.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

teds wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:07 am The appearance seems to be that the way Saracens players are compensated bears little relationship to how it might take place in a simple company.

For me it comes down to whether whatever Saracens are doing is that far away from what other clubs are doing. I’ve no objection to Saracens being hung out to dry, but any review would need to be of all 12 clubs to be fair.
I don't want to see any club 'hung out to dry'. Prem Rugby have already announced an investigation into Saracens.

Tournament organisers, don't need to investigate 'every club' because they investigate a single club, in order to 'be fair'. They investigate if they feel they have reason to do so, because the normal oversight processes they have in place are flagging concerns.. I simply wondered when we'd hear. It has been nearly four months now.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I believe Sarries have been treading on thin ice, and it will be interesting to see just how thin. However, the investigation may well evaporate before our very eyes, and if not, will possibly being found not guilty of any misdemeanour. Their being "hung out to dry," is highly unlikely imo.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Traveller wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:53 pm
teds wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:07 am The appearance seems to be that the way Saracens players are compensated bears little relationship to how it might take place in a simple company.

I don't want to see any club 'hung out to dry'. Prem Rugby have already announced an investigation into Saracens.

Tournament organisers, don't need to investigate 'every club' because they investigate a single club, in order to 'be fair'. They investigate if they feel they have reason to do so, because the normal oversight processes they have in place are flagging concerns.. I simply wondered when we'd hear. It has been nearly four months now.
And I was simply offering a possible explanation of why it might take four months or longer.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

teds wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:30 pm
Traveller wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:53 pm

And I was simply offering a possible explanation of why it might take four months or longer.
Honestly wasn't looking to be argumentative. The National Audit Office Investigation into Carrillion (which at the time of its collapse employed 45,000 people across seven / eight different countries) took three Months. In order for the auditors to be able to ensure that Saracens are within the salary cap each year, the business model would need to be open and transparent. Otherwise Premiership Rugby couldn't make an annual judgement now whether they are within the cap or not. My hunch.....the carpet has already been lifted, and someones got their hands on the broom. Just like 2012.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Traveller wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:09 pm In order for the auditors to be able to ensure that Saracens are within the salary cap each year, the business model would need to be open and transparent. Otherwise Premiership Rugby couldn't make an annual judgement now whether they are within the cap or not. My hunch.....the carpet has already been lifted, and someones got their hands on the broom. Just like 2012.
I suspect your hunch is probably close to the truth.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

I’ve no idea if Sarries are breaking the cap but some how they now manage to have the England, Welsh and Scottish fullbacks...some of their boys must be on minimum wage... :smt017
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

daktari wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:55 am I’ve no idea if Sarries are breaking the cap but some how they now manage to have the England, Welsh and Scottish fullbacks...some of their boys must be on minimum wage... :smt017
Hoggs going to Exeter.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think he was referring to Maitland.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

They've got all the money in the world and probably better accountants than the governing body has access to, no chance they end up getting punished. Our only hope is that Nigel Wray eventually gets bored after his 35th trophy and F's off to some other back end of sporting nowhere.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I think the question being asked is around the subject of players being encouraged and helped to set up business enterprises to provide them with something after their retirement (which, of course, could be after their next match!).

The idea is a good one, and should be followed by other clubs.

The issue is how the enterprises were set up, how are they financed, who are the shareholders, and whether they are sufficiently separate from the club in accounting terms.

You can bet that Sarries anticipated the questions, and will have already addressed them in the enterprises setup. If they have, good on ‘em!

Giving players, not all of whom are millionaires, a future is to be recommended.
Valhalla I am coming!
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:49 pm I think he was referring to Maitland.
Yup!
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes my bad,just was the first player who came into my head.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer