Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Saracens are relegated!

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:09 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:53 pm
northerntiger wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:08 pm The whole thing is a bit unsatisfactory, in my view.
They are still over the cap.
They are relegated irrespective of points gained.
I don't think they should be allowed to play this season any more. Chalk their results off and give teams an automatic four points. That would give fairness for all the rest of the teams
This happening would not surprise me. Take all the points off them that they have gained and then nil for the rest of their games. I would imagine that it will be quite difficult for them to motivate themselves in the Leauge, whereas in the Champions cup they can still win it.
Also, i guess that if the Internationals get injured they are scuppering a potential move or loan deal. Very difficult situtaion for them.
The points that Sarries do and don't take off teams this season will likely end up having an impact on the final play off and European qualifications.
This seems to have been overlooked, no doubt it'll cause a fuss.
Losing the Sarries fixture this season would also cause a fuss.
I wouldn't imagine that losing a fixture is financially viable for those teams that would lose the fixture from this point, and I wouldn't imagine that the television companies and competition sponsors would be very happy about it either.
Mrs G and I have had a similar conversation about influencing the outcome of the League. Seems totally illogical to have them continue unless the matches are declared either void or academy/friendlies.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Money talks and no club is going to want to lose those games. It should have been sorted out much sooner and Sarries relegated prior to the start of this season.

Even if you cancel Sarries matches and remove the results from those already played, they have still affected the league - teams have made selection decisions based on those fixtures, and any team who would now have one fewer match would have an unfair advantage over the others.

It's too late now, the season needs to be played out.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

The Premiership should publish the report, or if that is not possible due to legal restraints, seek the backing of the RFU to force the permission of Saracens to publish or face being thrown out of the game forever.

The RFU can and should force Saracens to open their book to proper scrutiny to see how long and how deep this mess goes, the tools are there, they just need the will to use them.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Yes agree the report should be published.

It looks like there is no real satisfactory outcome though, the rules are as they were written by those who wrote it, and now want to do different.

There are also calls for cap changes where I personally begin to question any mitigating circumstances but because we don't know exactly what the crimes are because they haven't been published we are left with more questions than answers!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... y-players/
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

From the Torygraph

“Childs said Saracens would be barred from securing a place in the top-four play-offs, thus preventing them from reaching this season’s Premiership final at Twickenham in the unlikely event that they did so, even with the 35-point deduction.”

At least that answers one worrying question
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
YoWaGoWan
Tiger Cub

Post by YoWaGoWan »

Saracens keen to see publication of long-awaited salary-cap report
://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/22
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Rumours that publication is close...

Ali Eykyn "Standby 🧨 At least some of the incessant Saracens/PRL smoke might begin to clear......"
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Apparently PRL are preparing to publish it now that Saracens have "withdrawn their objection".
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

One minute they do, next minute they don't.

Shouldnt be given the option IMO.
Roadsweeper
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Roadsweeper »

Just seen Farrell on the news. Wouldn’t acknowledge any of the issues or apologise.

Lives in a complete vacuum.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Roadsweeper wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:01 pm Just seen Farrell on the news. Wouldn’t acknowledge any of the issues or apologise.

Lives in a complete vacuum.

As he is one of the central characters, hardly surprising.....the humility needs to filter down throughout the club, but I am not expecting it.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Sky news has the report.

Itoje image rights bought for £1.6m by sarries - which they subsequently overspent on by £800k?! £2.4m spent on itoje - no wonder they can’t hit a cap - it’s like multiple marquees beyond the two available slots...

Other numbers... £440k invested in vunipolas, £200k invested in wigglesworth, And that’s all they’d manage to read before rushing the reporter on the breaking news spot...
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

speedski wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:43 pm Sky news has the report.

Itoje image rights bought for £1.6m by sarries - which they subsequently overspent on by £800k?! £2.4m spent on itoje - no wonder they can’t hit a cap - it’s like multiple marquees beyond the two available slots...

Other numbers... £440k invested in vunipolas, £200k invested in wigglesworth, And that’s all they’d manage to read before rushing the reporter on the breaking news spot...
https://news.sky.com/story/revealed-how ... s-11915269
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

So it wasn’t £2.4m on itoje - I heard it wrong - it was actually that they overpaid in value - with a secondary firm saying the ‘purchase’ was only worth half of what they actually paid. (Worth 800k, paid £1.6m - but still that’s £1.6m outside of cap!)

Press this morning reporting the report says that there was no sign players knew what was going on but...

Club A offers you £150k salary.
Club B offers you £150k salary.
Club C offers you £150k salary and a 20% property subsidy (which on this occasion was worth £280k).

It’s pretty obvious that something is a miss - I mean you would ask wouldn’t you - what’s they likely mean is Sarries told the players it was all legit - and the players were naive enough to believe or accept it...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Look, every time a player gets offers from different clubs, they're going to be offered different amounts. It's utterly ridiculous to say that the player should always assume that the club making the highest offer is breaking the rules.

If Sarries have overpaid on image rights then HMRC will be all over this. As I've posted before, Sarries have previously been warned about this by their financial advisors.