Saracens are relegated!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Saracens Cap Investigation / Grounds for Appeal

Post by biffer »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:29 pm here's a suggestion rather than a peanuts to Wray £5m fine would it not have been better to restrict Saracens cap by £2m for each of the next 3 seasons to reflect 3 seasons of known breaches and if they can be shown to be breaching the cap this season then the restriction should apply for the following season as well
This is what happens in the NFL. If you breach the salary cap, additional restrictions are put on your cap in following seasons. Also worth pointing out that they have to average a spend of at least 89% of their cap amount over any four seasons as well.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

They could have a transfer ban like Chelsea, but not sure that would work in this scenario.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:29 pm here's a suggestion rather than a peanuts to Wray £5m fine would it not have been better to restrict Saracens cap by £2m for each of the next 3 seasons to reflect 3 seasons of known breaches and if they can be shown to be breaching the cap this season then the restriction should apply for the following season as well
Far too satisfying. I will be content if the current penalty stands after the review.
As Good As It Gets
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Because I have bought tickets from Saracens in the past for the Tigers away game, I receive the regular Saracens emails. One arrived this morning. Standard weekly email: news about this week's team selection, interview with Callum Clark etc but nothing, absolutely nothing about you know what . It's as if nothing had happened. By way of contrast I read that Gloucester Rugby are to stop stocking Wolfpack Lager (a beer made by the microbrewery run by two former Saracens players) and existing stocks will be sold off cheaply this weekend. Under reaction and over reaction in my opinion.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

This is a bit off message but one thing I like about the Saracens email is that the team list notes the number of Saracens "caps" each player has clocked up eg Richard Wigglesworth (234), Jack Singleton (0)
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Jacko27 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:10 pm This is a bit off message but one thing I like about the Saracens email is that the team list notes the number of Saracens "caps" each player has clocked up eg Richard Wigglesworth (234), Jack Singleton (0)
Wow the old fella has done well with 234 appearances. Probably spent longer at Sarries than at Sale by now. Model professional in many respects.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Dosn't seem Worth Wriggling to try to get out of their Fine. :smt048
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Professional, class response from Dai Young in his interview on BT Sport pregame.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

JP14 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:23 pm Professional, class response from Dai Young in his interview on BT Sport pregame.
It was similar to the content and tone from Geordan on Leicester Tigers Rugby Show on Radio Leicester this week. Almost as if they had been given the same media briefing by their respective Communications Teams.
As Good As It Gets
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I don't understand why people say that the £5m fine is peanuts to Wray.

Apparently he's worth about £300m, so it's the equivalent of a person with a net worth of £300k (i.e. has finished paying off the mortgage on their 3 bed semi) being fined £5k. That's quite a lot of money.

Also bear in mind that net worth doesn't equal cash in the bank. You can be worth an absolute fortune but it doesn't mean you have millions in your current account ready to pay a fine like that. Trust me, you don't get to be worth £300m and brush off an unexpected £5m loss like it's nothing - he'll be furious.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Jacko27 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:02 pm By way of contrast I read that Gloucester Rugby are to stop stocking Wolfpack Lager (a beer made by the microbrewery run by two former Saracens players) and existing stocks will be sold off cheaply this weekend. Under reaction and over reaction in my opinion.
Perfectly reasonable, that stuff is rank. Bit odd to be selling beer with an opponents branding on it in the first place really.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I'm think of booking Will Fraser who runs the 'Saracens Way' Organisational leadership programme to give a seminar at my company. Although the company I started a decade or, has made a post tax profit every year, and employs a handful of people, I'm always keen to learn.

Referrals on the Saracens website describe how Will Fraser goes into the detail of how Saracens position as 'the preeminent rugby organisation in Europe" (albeit one which hasn't turned a profit in two decades) is predicated on the four core values of Honesty, Discipline, Work Rate and Humility' which 'are unique expressions of the Saracens Way'.

I wonder if anyone could offer any additional supporting referrals.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Well I am looking forward to the coverage on BT. Shed -v- Fez heads.
Bet the commentary team fudges the issue. Bet Mc Call and Sanderson fudges the issue. Camera pan in and hold on Wray
(if attending)
Bet the Shed doesn't fudge the issue . Come on the Shed. :smt023

Stowford Press any one. :smt007
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Hi,

The comment about Wolfpack lager is an interesting one. I would have thought Gloucester could have been inspired to make their own as breweries will Brand something for a pub etc of have one from a sponsor (why Tigers have poor beer). I do wonder about buying from Toolstation vs Screwfix as I do not explicitly want to support Saints but I think it better to support rugby rather than Yeovil town and football. If Wolfpack is a coninvestment that is different and I would not support.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Saracens Issue Grounds For Appeal...

Post by kk20gb30 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:18 pm After hasty consultation with their legal team , and in an effort to gain a quick resolution to any potential controversy Saracens RFC have issued the following statement and formal grounds for appeal against the recent Premiership Rugby ruling with regard to alleged Salary Cap infringements :

We misplaced the decimal point...

The confusion was caused by the uncertainty over Brexit....

Our accountants said it would be 'fine' (no pun intended)...

it wasn't our idea...

We got caught..(how did this get here ? Please remove N.W)..
What we actually meant to put in place was ... (to be confirmed at a much later date)...

They just enjoy playing for us...

We thought we were still covered by the 2015 cover up , err payment , err ...

There is a general election on Dec 12...

It wasn't us ..

We forgot to take into account the National Minimum Wage...

If the Salary Cap did not exist the rules could not have been broken (not that they were anyway)...

its all a misunderstanding...

This is victimization....

To follow this through would cause undoubted mental anguish and unnecessary strain to those players being subjected to what we regard as unwarranted and unjust public scrutiny - not to mention the huge financial implications for those involved - of which there is none...

They just needed second jobs to supplement their income...

is that really the time ?...

We will add more corroboration to our case as soon as we are able to (fabricate it )
During the period in question we were a registered charity.... (however this cannot be corroborated at this present time due to circumstances beyond our control)....

We strongly suspect a foreign government to have brought undue influence to bear on this matter....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....