European Weekend

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: European Weekend

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Exeter vs La Rochelle is a bit of a step up from our game, we certainly do still have some way to go.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

2 refereeing first this weekend.
Whitehouse pings the Pau 9 for not clearing the ball within 5 seconds, one of the few things he got right.
Exeter have a try ruled out for a blocking player in front of the ball
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:20 pm Exeter vs La Rochelle is a bit of a step up from our game, we certainly do still have some way to go.
I don’t disagree but that is Exeter’s first choice
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:22 pm 2 refereeing first this weekend.
Whitehouse pings the Pau 9 for not clearing the ball within 5 seconds, one of the few things he got right.
Pinging the 9 for not 'using it' was great. However, I counted 3 times when he told our 9 to "Use it!" when the ball was at our 8's feet in the scrum. Have I missed a rule change here?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Exeter blocking and slightly holding in to defenders, rather than knocking them over, like Tigers did, was one of the differences which won them the game at Welford Road. It is good to see it being penalised as cheating, which this gamesmanship is. I would have any contact with defenders in front of the ball a free kick or scrum to the defender. Penalty would be too severe in my view.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:25 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:22 pm 2 refereeing first this weekend.
Pinging the 9 for not 'using it' was great. However, I counted 3 times when he told our 9 to "Use it!" when the ball was at our 8's feet in the scrum. Have I missed a rule change here?
[/quote

If the ref feels the scrum is static he can tell the 9 to use it, it does tend to negate a secondary shove though
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Offside wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:28 pm Exeter blocking and slightly holding in to defenders, rather than knocking them over, like Tigers did, was one of the differences which won them the game at Welford Road. It is good to see it being penalised as cheating, which this gamesmanship is. I would have any contact with defenders in front of the ball a free kick or scrum to the defender. Penalty would be too severe in my view.
My biggest gripe is how they fly off their feet over a tackled player before a ruck is formed but the presence of their players stops the opposition getting yo the tackled player
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

On a slightly different note Batty got a red card today so I’m guessing he will be suspended for the Bath Tigers match in a few weeks
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Chiefs are one of the worse offending teams I've seen in every facet, especially at the BD, up there with Leinster, Ireland and NZ etc. How they get away with it all game angers me, maybe we need to cheat better!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:33 pm On a slightly different note Batty got a red card today so I’m guessing he will be suspended for the Bath Tigers match in a few weeks
Think he’s 3rd choice behind Dunn and the ex u20s hooker who’s name escapes me, so may not make much difference
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:36 pm Chiefs are one of the worse offending teams I've seen in every facet, especially at the BD, up there with Leinster, Ireland and NZ etc. How they get away with it all game angers me, maybe we need to cheat better!
I agree.
Whiter than white though ain't they! :smt003
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

So it’s going to be:

Toulon vs Scarlets
Bristol vs Dragons
Bordeaux-Begles vs Edinburgh
Tigers vs Castres

Matches to be played 03-05 Apr 20
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Confirmed Challenge Cup quarter-finals
The quarter-final matches to be played on 3/4/5 April are as follows:

QF 1: RC Toulon v Scarlets, Stade Félix Mayol
QF 2: Leicester Tigers v Castres Olympique, Welford Road
QF 3: Bordeaux-Bègles v Edinburgh Rugby, Stade Chaban-Delmas
QF 4: Bristol Bears v Dragons, Ashton Gate Stadium

NB The exact dates and kick-off times for the matches will be announced towards the end of next week.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Sarries get all the luck so far today - a dangerous Racing attack cut short for a knock on that looked like it went backwards, and now a yellow card for Racing at the end of a move that started with an undeniably forward pass from Saracens on their own 22.

Looks like Salarycens will be going through to the Quarters.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Billy V injury confirmed as a broken arm.