What Now For Our Season?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scuttle
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:13 pm

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by Scuttle » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:07 pm

Tigerbeat wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:11 pm
This may take some pressure off the team and we could see some more open rugby played, without the worry of relegation. Could be good for the development of players.
I think for me it is more that the team will be able enjoy their rugby and if they do that the fluency they are capable of will come through. I hope so because I still have the betting slip for us to win the Premiership 😂😂
As Good As It Gets

newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:06 pm
Location: Newport

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by newport tiger » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:49 pm

fentiger wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:07 pm
I have previously been critical of Murphy but above all he is doing a good job of bringing youngsters through. By mixing up the young vs experienced it is, I feel, starting to pay off. MOC and Cockers did not seem to have any kind of vision for this so a major factor in our decline is being reversed.
You make a valuable point and to be honest one that i'd previously been blind to, i was always a big supporter of Mauger and still feel the trigger was pulled far too soon. It's time to get behind Geordan and build a dynasty again.

mol2
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 5:48 pm
Location: Cosby

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by mol2 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:47 am

Not sure the Mauger appoint was ever a sound one. He was hardly a roaring success in New Zealand as a coach and had he not ticked the ex-Tiger box I would doubt his name would have ever been mentioned for any senior coaching role with us.

In terms of performance I'm not sure that we have taken big strides. Defense has improved but still a long way off the better sides in the league. The scrum has improved further to the point where we are the best scrum in the league. Taufua has added some dynamism and snaffling ability to the back row and the second rows have more grunt in the loose than last year(s).

However we still kick aimlessley to the opposition and don't chase so the opposition get the chance to run it back at our flakey defense. This has to be addressed - kick for touch or to contest.

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3174
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by Mark62 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:13 am

mol2 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:47 am
Not sure the Mauger appoint was ever a sound one. He was hardly a roaring success in New Zealand as a coach and had he not ticked the ex-Tiger box I would doubt his name would have ever been mentioned for any senior coaching role with us.

In terms of performance I'm not sure that we have taken big strides. Defense has improved but still a long way off the better sides in the league. The scrum has improved further to the point where we are the best scrum in the league. Taufua has added some dynamism and snaffling ability to the back row and the second rows have more grunt in the loose than last year(s).

However we still kick aimlessley to the opposition and don't chase so the opposition get the chance to run it back at our flakey defense. This has to be addressed - kick for touch or to contest.
I would agree that big strides haven’t been taken but there has been improvement which was lacking last season. Again with our kicking our policy seems to be, as with England, kick long then get the opposition to make a decision to kick or run, and if it’s run then the defensive line will take the play further up field. Unfortunately on Saturday Mr. Smith had other ideas .

ElvastonTiger
Tiger Cub
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:01 pm

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by ElvastonTiger » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:34 am

Out of interest does anyone know, if we get past Castres in the Q/F, is it predetermined which opponents we would face in the S/F i.e the winners of another specific Q/F?
Also are the Challenge Cup S/Fs on neutral grounds (god forbid not the Forest ground again) and, if so, how is it determined which country they would be located in?
If not on neutral grounds how is the home team decided for a S/F?
Apologies in advance if these are daft questions or the answers are widely available.

Tiglon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1522
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm
Location: Bath

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by Tiglon » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:43 am

ElvastonTiger wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:34 am
Out of interest does anyone know, if we get past Castres in the Q/F, is it predetermined which opponents we would face in the S/F i.e the winners of another specific Q/F?
Also are the Challenge Cup S/Fs on neutral grounds (god forbid not the Forest ground again) and, if so, how is it determined which country they would be located in?
If not on neutral grounds how is the home team decided for a S/F?
Apologies in advance if these are daft questions or the answers are widely available.
We would play the winner of Toulon v Edinburgh. In the semis, the team that won most points in the group stages gets the home advantage, so if we play Edinburgh it'll be at home, if Toulon it'll away.

If we beat Castres.

Tiglon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1522
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm
Location: Bath

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by Tiglon » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:45 am

Tiglon wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:43 am
ElvastonTiger wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:34 am
Out of interest does anyone know, if we get past Castres in the Q/F, is it predetermined which opponents we would face in the S/F i.e the winners of another specific Q/F?
Also are the Challenge Cup S/Fs on neutral grounds (god forbid not the Forest ground again) and, if so, how is it determined which country they would be located in?
If not on neutral grounds how is the home team decided for a S/F?
Apologies in advance if these are daft questions or the answers are widely available.
We would play the winner of Toulon v Edinburgh. In the semis, the team that won most points in the group stages gets the home advantage, so if we play Edinburgh it'll be at home, if Toulon it'll away.

If we beat Castres.
P.s. I think the Forest game was a choice by Tigers for a home match to get a higher attendance, rather than being a neutral ground.

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3798
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by strawclearer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:03 pm

We get to keep Dan Cole during 6N.

Youngs, Ford, Genge, Tuilagi and May all retained by Jones.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Help save the Oceans - #RefuseTheStraw!

ElvastonTiger
Tiger Cub
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:01 pm

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by ElvastonTiger » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:31 pm

Thanks Tiglon.

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3174
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by Mark62 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:46 pm

Tiglon wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:45 am
Tiglon wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:43 am
ElvastonTiger wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:34 am
Out of interest does anyone know, if we get past Castres in the Q/F, is it predetermined which opponents we would face in the S/F i.e the winners of another specific Q/F?
Also are the Challenge Cup S/Fs on neutral grounds (god forbid not the Forest ground again) and, if so, how is it determined which country they would be located in?
If not on neutral grounds how is the home team decided for a S/F?
Apologies in advance if these are daft questions or the answers are widely available.
We would play the winner of Toulon v Edinburgh. In the semis, the team that won most points in the group stages gets the home advantage, so if we play Edinburgh it'll be at home, if Toulon it'll away.

If we beat Castres.
P.s. I think the Forest game was a choice by Tigers for a home match to get a higher attendance, rather than being a neutral ground.
I have a distant memory that back then the semi final location had to be a certain distance from the home clubs ground and have a minimum capacity of more than tigers had at that time. The choices muted were Forest ground or Villa Park.
I could well be wrong as it was a long time ago.
If we end up with a home semi this year we can play at Welford road, it doesn’t have to be a neutral venue in the same country

OakhamTiger32
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by OakhamTiger32 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:46 pm

This is from the EPC Rugby website:

KNOCKOUT STAGE
2.4 The clubs ranked 1 to 4 will have home advantage for the quarter-finals as follows:

Club 1 v Club 8 (QF1)
Club 4 v Club 5 (QF2)
Club 3 v Club 6 (QF3)
Club 2 v Club 7 (QF4)

The winner of QF1 will play the winner of QF2 in one semi-final, and the winner of QF3 will play the winner of QF4 in the other semi-final as follows:

Semi-final 1: winner QF1 v winner QF2
Semi-final 2: winner QF3 v winner QF4

The semi-final matches will be played at home venues, and the highest-ranked clubs from the pool stage will have home venue advantage in their respective semi-final matches:

(a) For Semi-final 1

If the clubs ranked 1 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 1 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 1 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 1 will have home home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 4 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home venue advantage

(b) For Semi-final 2

If the clubs ranked 3 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 3 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 3 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home venue advantage
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who yearns for the good old days!

Tiglon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1522
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm
Location: Bath

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by Tiglon » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:53 pm

Apologies, it's Toulon away or Scarlets home if we reach the semis. For some reason I thought Toulon were playing Edinburgh.

OakhamTiger32
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by OakhamTiger32 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:19 pm

Seems like the Challenge Cup might be our only hope of wrestling an ounce of integrity out of this season!

Another disappointing display away to Bath.. I was desperately trying to be positive this term but I really just can’t see how it’s possible anymore.. I think I need some time away from this debacle; maybe the 6N might be a welcome break from what has been another torrid season domestically.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who yearns for the good old days!

Scuttle
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 476
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:13 pm

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by Scuttle » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:36 pm

OakhamTiger32 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:19 pm
Seems like the Challenge Cup might be our only hope of wrestling an ounce of integrity out of this season!

Another disappointing display away to Bath.. I was desperately trying to be positive this term but I really just can’t see how it’s possible anymore.. I think I need some time away from this debacle; maybe the 6N might be a welcome break from what has been another torrid season domestically.
I will be honest. I have always been firmly at the extreme end of the happy clapper spectrum and as such thought a win very possible today. That may have been unrealistic but judging by what others have said on today's performance I struggle to see where wins will come from if we can't even beat an understrength Bath team. I am normally the first to try to balance out the naysayers but I am struggling to do that now.
As Good As It Gets

OakhamTiger32
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by OakhamTiger32 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:44 pm

Scuttle wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:36 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:19 pm
Seems like the Challenge Cup might be our only hope of wrestling an ounce of integrity out of this season!

Another disappointing display away to Bath.. I was desperately trying to be positive this term but I really just can’t see how it’s possible anymore.. I think I need some time away from this debacle; maybe the 6N might be a welcome break from what has been another torrid season domestically.
I will be honest. I have always been firmly at the extreme end of the happy clapper spectrum and as such thought a win very possible today. That may have been unrealistic but judging by what others have said on today's performance I struggle to see where wins will come from if we can't even beat an understrength Bath team. I am normally the first to try to balance out the naysayers but I am struggling to do that now.
Completely agree. I watched the whole match today and while there were a few positives they were sadly far outweighed by the negatives and against a Bath pack that had been decimated by England call ups and injury!

Like you I am desperately trying to stay positive but struggling to at the moment. I mean.. 1 win away from home in 18 months in the GP!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who yearns for the good old days!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bbfb10, Chobbsy, Dr H Flashman MBE, Mark62 and 2 guests