Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: What Now For Our Season?

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:54 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:51 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:40 pm So Borthwick will get a extended pre-season pretty much instead of a 3 or so month dog fight.
Clearly a target should be the Champions cup.

But I would like to see us be more adventurous in selections and attack.
Play strongest team but occasionally play the younger players also.
Has Borthwick been confirmed?
not officially.
But pretty much certain to be joining?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:55 pm

not officially.
Yes. Times seem to think so as do other reputable media outlets just nothing has been confirmed officially by Borthwick or Leicester Tigers as it stands.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:55 pm

not officially.
Yes
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Thanks both, things are looking up for next season!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:04 pm Thanks both, things are looking up for next season!
They certainly are. Ford, Manu and Genge all re-signed, Taufua and Lavanini have been top quality signings, rumors of Lam.. As for this season; a home QF in the Challenge Cup when we will be back to full strength post 6N, guaranteed premiership survival and some promising signs and great fighting spirit shown.

Things are looking up that’s for sure!

:smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Well I've unclenched! Not the way I wanted to stay up but it's a huge weight off my shoulders, drinks on me at the home QF! 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Our way forward now has to be all about balance of the squad. I think we made some very astute acquisitions this summer, we need to repeat this.

Spencer has been mooted as leaving. He’s not hit the heights expected really, perhaps down to injuries preventing him getting a run of form. If the rumours Alemanno are true, that could be a step in the right direction.

Johnny May also potentially not being renewed, but if we could secure someone like Ben Lam who offers something slightly different, and wouldn’t be away during international breaks, I could live with that.

Above all else, we need to improve the dynamics of our game plan, and more importantly execution of it. All too often, we show some spirit, but a distinct lack of accuracy and tempo. Our play is so slow at times. Borthwick’s arrival may stiffen you the pack, and provide more dynamic forward play, but our backs need to show more cutting edge also.

Beyond that, trim out some other fringe players, and provide opportunities for players from within, that has been the strength of the likes of Exeter and Sarries (ignoring the obvious). They have a defined way of playing, top to bottom. They invest in high calibre players who buy into their ethos, and supplement that with talented academy graduates, ensuring a consistent line of talent seamlessly coming through.

Heyes, Reffell, Lewis, Simmons, White, Hardwick are all showing they are very capable and getting better with more minutes on the park. Behind them, Jordan, Costelow and Steward have had minutes, and not looked out of their depth.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I have previously been critical of Murphy but above all he is doing a good job of bringing youngsters through. By mixing up the young vs experienced it is, I feel, starting to pay off. MOC and Cockers did not seem to have any kind of vision for this so a major factor in our decline is being reversed.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

If I were Murphs I’d now go full bore in Europe. I don’t think we’re top four material so in a sense the league doesn’t matter, so use it to continue the development of the youngsters and the newer players. If that results in a top 6 position then great, but put out a full strength side in Europe for the QF and hopefully further as a back up plan for qualifying for The Champions Cup next year. For one year make the European competition the main focus like the Irish Provinces do.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:11 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:04 pm Thanks both, things are looking up for next season!
They certainly are. Ford, Manu and Genge all re-signed, Taufua and Lavanini have been top quality signings, rumors of Lam.. As for this season; a home QF in the Challenge Cup when we will be back to full strength post 6N, guaranteed premiership survival and some promising signs and great fighting spirit shown.

Things are looking up that’s for sure!

:smt023
Feels a bit strange to think about from 11th place but yup, me too! Our squad is great we just need a better plan, and that seems to be slowly coming together.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I would hope the coaching staff would encourage the players to ignore the Saracens thing and look to build on the improvements that have been made already
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

We should make sure as a bare minimum that we don't finish 11th in the league.
Maybe the lack of jeopardy might free the players up, I genuinely believe we will give someone a right beating in the league this season, the signs are there.
Long term actually giving our home grown players an opportunity will only be beneficial.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Just adding my voice to the chorus of reminders that finishing 11th should be treated, internally, as though we had been relegated and other results should be seen in that light...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Don't let this reprieve get into the squads head.
Foot on the gas - go full out and move up the PL table on our own merit.
Any thing else and we'll be criticised by all and sundry

It will be as though - "Tigers should have been relegated as they were the poorest playing team in the PL"
I for one would relish another two teams, at least, to be respondents of that phrase which I know the pundits and press will churn out.

6N period will be tough but I have seen enough squad building to be confident we can hold our own.
Even in past glories we have slipped a little during 6N.
For me - the futures brighter.... :smt023
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Last season we very nearly went down, this season may well have been the same outcome if not worse were it not for the now infamous Saracens and if we do finish 11th then I would wager (potential ring-fencing aside) that it we wouldn't be so lucky 3rd time around next season.

That being said I have every faith that a corner has been turned and we will continue to improve and avoid finishing 11th this year. We have a tricky period to weather now during the 6N but come out of it within touching distance or even ahead of the likes of Irish and Wasps and I think we will kick on post 6N.

I'm not counting any chickens, merely drawing on the huge and continued improvement that we have all seen these past few matches. Tigers still have a long way to go and are yet to produce an 80-minute performance and lower to mid-table is clearly not where we should be doing our business but things are looking up. I hope you are all right that the BOD will see this as an opportunity for continued development for the remainder of this season, to finish in a respectable position and kick on next term .