Pau vs Tigers - Sat 18 Jan 20

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Pau vs Tigers - Sat 18 Jan 20

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

So another week another win.. Tigers are finally starting to gather some momentum with 5 wins from 5 in the Challenge Cup and 2 wins and a draw in the last 3 games in all competitions. I think the team have come along way in the last few weeks, certainly since the away matches against Irish and Saints .There are some very promising signs with some very impressive individual performances galvanised by a new found desire, team spirit and some impressive defence.

Today was an impressive second half showing with some great line speed, good defence and a huge try saving tackle by our new loan signing Hughes. Not to mention some lovely backs interplay by Olowafela and Veianu and some great game management by the ever dependable Ford. A huge win and a great way to continue the momentum.

So there are a still a few permutations as to how the final standings will look but we should certainly be in the mix for a home QF. Next week will determine whether we are 3rd, 4th or 5th seed depending on Worcester vs. Castres, our result away to Pau and Bordeaux-Begles’ result away to Wasps.

We could in theory get overtaken by Castres if they get a BP win away next Fri against Worcester and we fail to pick up anything in our match.

Bristol and Toulon likely to be top 2 then Tigers and Bordeaux-Begles 3 & 4. We will know about Castres and Worcester before our match on Sat so we will know what is required before KO.

With that in mind we may see the reintroduction of a few players that are expected to feature during the 6N period. Perhaps something along the lines of this:

15 George Worth
14 Jordan Olowofela
13 Jaco Taute
12 Kyle Eastmond
11 Rory Hughes

10 Noel Reid
9 Ben White

1 Greg Bateman
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Joe Heyes
4 Tomas Lavanini
5 Will Spencer
6 Sam Lewis
7 Tommy Reffell
8 Jordan Taufua

Replacements:

16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
17 Facundo Gigena
18 Nephi Leatigaga
19 Harry Wells
20 Jordan Coghlan
21 Harry Simmons
22 Tom Hardwick
23 Adam Thompstone

Perhaps the inclusion of Guy Thompson if he is available but not sure if he's fit? Just my initial thoughts.. what do people think?
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Pau vs Tigers - Sat 18 Jan 20

Post by Mark62 »

Personally I would go with as conservative a team as possible.
IMO there are players we need to protect before the Bath match.
Therefore I wouldn’t risk Lavanini Taufua, Reid or Vieanu in Pau.
My personal choice would be something like
Gigena, TPN, Heyes, Spencer, Batley, Coghlan, Reffell, Boladau
Simmons, Costelow, Olowefela, Hardwick, Taute, Hughes, Worth
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

TV was great again today against CB, but I must admit, I am wary of how much hes being played lately. He's going to be very important to us domestically - so would want to rest him a bit given his value to us during them prem.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

speedski wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:45 pm TV was great again today against CB, but I must admit, I am wary of how much hes being played lately. He's going to be very important to us domestically - so would want to rest him a bit given his value to us during them prem.
Veanu has been out injured for a few weeks during the season so has not really been overplayed. There are two weeks after the Bath game when there is no matches so he can get a break then, likewise some of the others too.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:48 pm
speedski wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:45 pm TV was great again today against CB, but I must admit, I am wary of how much hes being played lately. He's going to be very important to us domestically - so would want to rest him a bit given his value to us during them prem.
Veanu has been out injured for a few weeks during the season so has not really been overplayed. There are two weeks after the Bath game when there is no matches so he can get a break then, likewise some of the others too.
Was blowing heavily at the end of today's game. Hes too important to lose for the prem campaign - IMO of course.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:45 pm Personally I would go with as conservative a team as possible.
I agree about protecting some key players and I think perhaps Veianu would be one I would perhaps rest thinking about it. Maybe Worth at 15 and Taute in the centre.

That said, I think the 6N team need time to gel before the Bath game so this could be a good opportunity to see some if not all of that team in action to give those combinations a test against potentially decent opposition.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:13 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:45 pm Personally I would go with as conservative a team as possible.
I agree about protecting some key players and I think perhaps Veianu would be one I would perhaps rest thinking about it. Maybe Worth at 15 and Taute in the centre.

That said, I think the 6N team need time to gel before the Bath game so this could be a good opportunity to see some if not all of that team in action to give those combinations a test against potentially decent opposition.
Agreed and the nature of the game is such that injury is possible on any pitch at any time, so there is an argument that if players are fit and available they should be selected.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

1.Gigena
2.Kerr
3.Heyes
4.Batley
5.Spencer
6.Lewis
7.Reffell (v.c)
8.Coghlan

9.White (c)
10.Hardwick

11.Thompstone
12.Eastmond
13.Taute
14.Olowofela
15.Worth

16.Polota-Nau
17.Bateman
18.Leatigaga
19.Jordan
20.Thompson
21.Simmons
22.Costelow
23.Steward

Getting Hardwick game time with two of the experience centres is important before the 6 Nations in my opinion. With Youngs, Ford and Manu away we need the inside backs to still click.

Costelow is one injury to Hardwick or Reid from being important during the international windows as well so I hope he makes the 23. He was impressive against Cardiff earlier in the season.

Thompson and Spencer are needing game time. I thought Batley had a solid debut as well so hopefully he retains his place.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I feel like Leatigaga merits a start if he recovers from the knock he sustained yesterday and a lock partnership of Batley and Spencer is more than Premiership standard.

1 Bateman
2 TPN
3 Leatigaga
4 Batley
5 Spencer
6 Lewis
7 Reffell
8 Thompson
9 White
10 Hardwick
11 Hughes
12 Eastmond
13 Taute
14 Olowofela
15 Steward

16 Kerr
17 Gigena
18 Heyes
19 Jordan
20 Coghlan
21 Simmons
22 Costelow
23 Worth
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

How will Pau target this game though, they still can qualify but results will have to go their way if that is to happen?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Pau vs Tigers - Sat 18 Jan 2

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:27 pm How will Pau target this game though, they still can qualify but results will have to go their way if that is to happen?
I think a bp win for them would qualify them as one of the 3 best runners up, but would then likely mean to trip to either Toulon or Bristol, so who knows
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think for momentum reasons we should target a win, perhaps play similar to Cardiff away by kicking the ball away to keep the French forwards on the go and then go all out in the last 20.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Change of ref with Ben Whitehouse now the man in the middle for our game in Pau
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:52 pm Change of ref with Ben Whitehouse now the man in the middle for our game in Pau
That should give us a "slight" language advantage then. :smt002
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

The good news is Lavanini still appears (according to Instagram) to be at home. Taufua seems to be on his travels too (Amsterdam), so I doubt either of them are going to be around if they aren't training this week.