Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Pau vs Tigers - Sat 18 Jan 20

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:57 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:52 pm So by my reckoning we are at home to Castres in the QF then potentially away to Toulon in the SF.
Or Castres at home in QF and then Scarlets at 'home' if they turn Toulon over (and we beat Castres of course)
Yes that’s right, I just think Toulon is the more likely match but you’re correct, could be either
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Yes but not neutral venues so their home ground.
So if Toulon keep winning their next 3 games in the competition will be in Toulon, Toulon and Marseille
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:00 pm Yes but not neutral venues so their home ground.
So if Toulon keep winning their next 3 games in the competition will be in Toulon, Toulon and Marseille
:smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Quite happy with a quarterfinal with Castres at home, we will have to be on the ball though with Castres beating Worcester away but they are 10th in the Top14 so could have other priorities.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Apologies if this has already been noted but I'd like to see us prioritise winning this trophy now that we're in no danger of going down and unlikely to reach the playoffs.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

POSTIGER wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:41 am Apologies if this has already been noted but I'd like to see us prioritise winning this trophy now that we're in no danger of going down and unlikely to reach the playoffs.
There is a fair amount of discussion about this on another thread called ‘what now for our season’.

I completely agree that winning silverware, regardless of the competition is great for any club. It would also guarantee us Champions Cup rugby next season so it's not to be sniffed at. On our day we are more than capable of beating all of the teams in the competition and especially as the QF games will be post 6N (03-05 Apr 20).
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:18 am
POSTIGER wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:41 am Apologies if this has already been noted but I'd like to see us prioritise winning this trophy now that we're in no danger of going down and unlikely to reach the playoffs.
There is a fair amount of discussion about this on another thread called ‘what now for our season’.

I completely agree that winning silverware, regardless of the competition is great for any club. It would also guarantee us Champions Cup rugby next season so it's not to be sniffed at. On our day we are more than capable of beating all of the teams in the competition and especially as the QF games will be post 6N (03-05 Apr 20).
Let's not count any post 6N chickens just yet, we don't know what the butcher's bill will look like yet...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Not sure that I'd fancy Toulon in Marseille. They've woken up recently. As they have a home QF, with a home SF if they beat Scarlets, they're a reasonable bet to win the whole thing.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:50 pm

Not sure that I'd fancy Toulon in Marseille. They've woken up recently. As they have a home QF, with a home SF if they beat Scarlets, they're a reasonable bet to win the whole thing.
Totally agree but I think we would get them in Toulon before Marseille
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:55 pm

If we beat Castres and Toulon beat Edinburgh, we will have a semi in Toulon.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Just checked and Beeb have Tigers away to Toulon/Scarlets in the semi,so looks like you're right (if Beeb haven't screwed up - Which never happens :smt002 :smt003).
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:05 pm

If we beat Castres and Toulon beat Edinburgh, we will have a semi in Toulon.
Other than the fact that Toulon are playing Scarletsv :smt046
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:08 pm

Just checked and Beeb have Tigers away to Toulon/Scarlets in the semi,so looks like you're right (if Beeb haven't screwed up - Which never happens :smt002 :smt003).
[/quote
Not sure even that’s right if Tigers and Scarlets win we will be the higher seeded team and get the home semi. I think who knows my brain hurts
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:10 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:08 pm
[/quote
Not sure even that’s right if Tigers and Scarlets win we will be the higher seeded team and get the home semi. I think who knows my brain hurts
From the EPC Rugby website:

KNOCKOUT STAGE
2.4 The clubs ranked 1 to 4 will have home advantage for the quarter-finals as follows:

Club 1 v Club 8 (QF1)
Club 4 v Club 5 (QF2)
Club 3 v Club 6 (QF3)
Club 2 v Club 7 (QF4)

The winner of QF1 will play the winner of QF2 in one semi-final, and the winner of QF3 will play the winner of QF4 in the other semi-final as follows:

Semi-final 1: winner QF1 v winner QF2
Semi-final 2: winner QF3 v winner QF4

The semi-final matches will be played at home venues, and the highest-ranked clubs from the pool stage will have home venue advantage in their respective semi-final matches:

(a) For Semi-final 1

If the clubs ranked 1 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 1 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 1 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 1 will have home home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 4 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home venue advantage

(b) For Semi-final 2

If the clubs ranked 3 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 3 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 3 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home venue advantage
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Thanks Oakham so yes if Tigers and Scarlets win we have the home semi