Pau vs Tigers - Sat 18 Jan 20

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Pau vs Tigers - Sat 18 Jan 20

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Another entry for bizarre back row combos...

We really shouldn't see Taufua as a 7, he is someone who can play there but it's not his best position.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Hasn't he played most of his rugby at 7?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Taufua has all the qualities needed for a top class 7 and plenty of experience there.

I think we need to move on from this set in stone idea of what a 6,7 or 8 looks like and that they all have very specific and different skillsets.

All modern back rowers should be able to compete at the breakdown, they should all be very good tacklers and they should all be able to carry.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:13 pm Taufua has all the qualities needed for a top class 7 and plenty of experience there.

I think we need to move on from this set in stone idea of what a 6,7 or 8 looks like and that they all have very specific and different skillsets.

All modern back rowers should be able to compete at the breakdown, they should all be very good tacklers and they should all be able to carry.
Agreed :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Pau team is up but I’m afraid I don’t know enough about them to comment on it’s strength.
Ben Smith is playing but Whitelock isn’t
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I'm not an expert either but from the looks of things only about half of those players, if that were in the match-day 23 that came over to WR so I'm guessing this might be a stronger squad as expected. More of these names seem to feature in their Top 14 match lineups from a quick scan through their recent games so looks stronger to me.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:43 pm Pau team is up but I’m afraid I don’t know enough about them to comment on it’s strength.
Whitelock is on the bench
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Boladau can compete at the breakdown, no real loss and from what I have seen Reffell doesn’t target the breakdown as much as what Thompson would.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:47 pm Boladau can compete at the breakdown, no real loss and from what I have seen Reffell doesn’t target the breakdown as much as what Thompson would.
I think with the modern day rugby player if you are in a position to carry out the jackal then you do so no matter what number is on your back.
BOD is the great example of this as he was often next man in following a tackle by Darcey or his back row.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:43 pm Pau team is up but I’m afraid I don’t know enough about them to comment on it’s strength.
I only recognise a couple of names so can’t say if it’s a first choice Pau team. Whatever, I’m looking forward to watching the game and a Tigers’ win!
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:52 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:47 pm Boladau can compete at the breakdown, no real loss and from what I have seen Reffell doesn’t target the breakdown as much as what Thompson would.
I think with the modern day rugby player if you are in a position to carry out the jackal then you do so no matter what number is on your back.
BOD is the great example of this as he was often next man in following a tackle by Darcey or his back row.
Oh yes I agree.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:38 pm Good to see Simmons plus Hardwick/Costelow.
+1 :smt045
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Hopefully we can adapt our game plan not to boot the ball straight at one of the cleverest back three players of all time in Smith. He's lost a few yards of pace so we should be able to close him down with a decent chase.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Non of the pack named were in the starting pack when they played La Rochelle in their last top 14 game - what that says I haven't got a clue
Hehehehehehehehe
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:07 pm ...He's lost a few yards of pace so we should be able to close him down with a decent chase.
Do you consider that we have developed a decent chase recently then?