TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Nemani Nadolo

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:16 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:08 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:14 pm

...only if the price (contract) offers value for money to The Club.
I’d imagine the current England scrum half would be worth the money and value to us. Especially when I can’t think of another scrum half to bring in. Do we really want to be left with young scrum halves when it’s such a vital position?!
Without going too much off topic , this is not necessarily so.Any player , scrum half or otherwise, has to be worth the cost in terms of performance and contract.The moniker of 'England international' is only of value to any club if he plays like one.Not going to have a dig at Ben Youngs , but there are are scrum halves available (or potentially so ) and there is absolutely nothing wrong with youth so long as its coupled with ability.
I agree there’s nothing wrong with youth and both White and Simmons have potential. However, if we go into next season with those two as our number one and two scrum halves, I shall be worried. If Ben Youngs is our main scrum half, I shall have no worries at all. We will find replacing him very difficult.

Also, I’m interested in which scrum halves are potentially available next season?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:10 pm
kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:16 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:08 am

I’d imagine the current England scrum half would be worth the money and value to us. Especially when I can’t think of another scrum half to bring in. Do we really want to be left with young scrum halves when it’s such a vital position?!
Without going too much off topic , this is not necessarily so.Any player , scrum half or otherwise, has to be worth the cost in terms of performance and contract.The moniker of 'England international' is only of value to any club if he plays like one.Not going to have a dig at Ben Youngs , but there are are scrum halves available (or potentially so ) and there is absolutely nothing wrong with youth so long as its coupled with ability.
I agree there’s nothing wrong with youth and both White and Simmons have potential. However, if we go into next season with those two as our number one and two scrum halves, I shall be worried. If Ben Youngs is our main scrum half, I shall have no worries at all. We will find replacing him very difficult.
Difficult , yes.
Impossible , no
After all , one never knows when the next incarnation of Harry Ellis9 will come along. :smt023
Last edited by kk20gb30 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

After all , one never knows when the next incarnation of Harry Ellis will come along.
I remember when Ben was exactly that - the exciting young prospect who would we hoped one day would replace Harry. Happened sooner than any expected or wanted (apart from Ben perhaps). Stuff happens to players and scrum halves are at least as vulnerable as any other player. Ben at his best IS a great player, I expect he'll stay, but just as we've begun to trust other youngsters to develop so we should with White and Simmons. Neither is the finished article, yet, but then Ben wasn't back then either. Indeed the best players stay sharp by not believing they've become that finished article.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Grimlish wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:38 pm
After all , one never knows when the next incarnation of Harry Ellis will come along.
I remember when Ben was exactly that - the exciting young prospect who would we hoped one day would replace Harry. Happened sooner than any expected or wanted (apart from Ben perhaps). Stuff happens to players and scrum halves are at least as vulnerable as any other player. Ben at his best IS a great player, I expect he'll stay, but just as we've begun to trust other youngsters to develop so we should with White and Simmons. Neither is the finished article, yet, but then Ben wasn't back then either. Indeed the best players stay sharp by not believing they've become that finished article.
Agreed. Keep our best scrum half in Youngs as he is our best scrum half and he can help develop the others.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

If we don’t keep May he’s exactly the type of player we should be signing. Whether it’s him - a well known star - or not is another matter; Alex T and Seru Rabeni were relatively well known when they joined us. Few of us had heard of Niki Goneva.

It’s the point of difference we need. Imagine being able to pick (assuming May leaves) from a combination of someone like Nadolo, Olowofela (getting better...), Holmes, Thompstone. Then factor in Veainu, SAR and Steward, who can genuinely cover the back 3 and we’re relatively well stocked.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:56 pm
Agreed. Keep our best scrum half in Youngs as he is our best scrum half and he can help develop the others.
Keep him if retaining his services represents value for both parties (club and player) ; he then plays if he is worth his place.
Let form and ability dictate who is our best scrum half .The same applies to any other position also.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:24 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:56 pm
Keep him if retaining his services represents value for both parties (club and player) ; he then plays if he is worth his place.
Let form and ability dictate who is our best scrum half .The same applies to any other position also.
Yeah, he is still our best scrum half.