Are we in the worst league?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Are we in the worst league?

Post by Cardiff Tig »

In the last few seasons, it seems to me - and my other rugby friends that support Bristol/Gloucester etc - that the overall quality of the league has decreased. It does seem to me that there is a greater amount of poor quality rugby from a larger number of teams than I remember from a few years ago. Maybe that's because we now pay more attention to the matches at the bottom of the league, I don't know!

So, is the Gallagher Premiership moving towards the worst league to watch? I've never been a fan of the Pro14 for numerous reasons but I don't think we have much more going for us these days...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Are we in the worst league?

Post by JP14 »

Is this just in the Northern Hemisphere or is the Prem being compared to Super Rugby as well? I think we’re ahead or the Pro14 and ProD2 (for obvious reasons) but I believe Top14 is a more compelling league.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If you haven't watched the other leagues, not sure how you can judge who is the worst to watch.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I was mainly thinking about the NH leagues.

I've watched all of the leagues to varying extents (except the ProD2). The Pro14 has always been lower in priority due to the seemingly more frequent one-sided nature of the games and as a casual fan often the big names are missing.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The article the other day all about the impact of individual playing stats on the playing mentality had some substance but for me the refereeing is poor in England.
I hear refs shout "hands off" a hundred times over a weekend to players who are not in a legal position to have hands on!
Slowing the ball illegally at the ruck has developed into other boring exercises such as the caterpillar, I see the caterpillar in the Premiership more than any other league I watch.
This so called five second rule at breakdowns is a complete joke.
I heard a ref tell a player to use it at a caterpillar on three occasions at the weekend, at a guess it all took about twenty seconds and all started by what seems to now be the obligatory "hands off" request from Sir.
I've been watching Tuafua's look of bemusement at some officiating, it's funny and at the same time it's not!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

A forward looking bemused at a referee decision?! That would never have happened in the old days :smt043

For what it's worth, I find the Premiership as entertaining as ever. Some brilliant matches this season already. If you're mostly only watching Tigers games then I can empathise with you, there have been a few dull ones.

Pro14 rarely gets me excited when I turn it on, it just doesn't have the same competitiveness for much of the season.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

We are in a bit of a grey patch at the moment with the league dominated by two very efficient yet dull teams, and the new head protection tackle laws taking a bit of getting used to. Overall though I love the prem, it's great that teams from places unheralded in other sports get to play on the big stage and attract superstar players because everybody has the same kitty to play with. The standard of rugby would improve if we went regional but my interesting in the game would plummet.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Missing the point......

Teams are now able to compete for top players. So they are scattered amongst all Prem Clubs. Therefore able to compete in all areas So every team can beat anyone on a given day.

I agree that its a lottery what Sir is going to allow and Sirs inconsistency from game to game has tom have an effect.
How can you coach rules of the game when one says Yes another No.

The French league has all but done for their National Squad. Ours is developing.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think the caterpillar is a frustrating sight for the fans.

For me it is frustrating when refs tell players to use it and then don't pernalise those who exceed the permitted 5 seconds.

I would reduce 5 seconds to 3 and instruct the refs to enforce it.

As for hands in the ruck - once a ruck has clearly formed or the ref has called it a ruck, simply penalise the player don't warn him. Penalty advantage each time it occurs and it would certainly soon stop or reduce dramatically.

On a similar vein enforce the ruck laws for both sides - just because you are in possesion it doesn't give you the right to dive over. Drive over and stay on your feet fine but flying in horisontally to prevent fair competiton is dangerous and must be stopped.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Totally agree about the Caterpillar and 5 seconds.
Much as with repeated collapsed scrums, yellow card one from each side, I feel it needs one ref to take action when the ball isn’t used then the rest will grow a pair and follow.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

mol2 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:37 pm I think the caterpillar is a frustrating sight for the fans.
Especially when the players involved are often not even properly bound!
mol2 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:37 pm For me it is frustrating when refs tell players to use it and then don't pernalise those who exceed the permitted 5 seconds.

I would reduce 5 seconds to 3 and instruct the refs to enforce it.
I cannot remember the last time I saw someone penalised for taking too long. I fully agree with forcing them to use it as long as the offside line is equally strictly enforced
mol2 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:37 pm As for hands in the ruck - once a ruck has clearly formed or the ref has called it a ruck, simply penalise the player don't warn him. Penalty advantage each time it occurs and it would certainly soon stop or reduce dramatically.
This is one of the arguments that people make that I really just cannot understand "You don't just want the referee to keep giving penalties! You want the game to flow". Well I tell you something... the game would :censored: well flow if one team took the hint and the other went down to 12 men for half the match!
mol2 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:37 pm On a similar vein enforce the ruck laws for both sides - just because you are in possesion it doesn't give you the right to dive over. Drive over and stay on your feet fine but flying in horisontally to prevent fair competiton is dangerous and must be stopped.
...just realized that you you missed "blocking runners taking out defenders" from the "Exeter Coaching Handbook" :smt003
Mark62 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:22 pm Totally agree about the Caterpillar and 5 seconds.
Much as with repeated collapsed scrums, yellow card one from each side, I feel it needs one ref to take action when the ball isn’t used then the rest will grow a pair and follow.
Unfortunately enough teams cheat enough at the scrums already - let's not penalise the team that has actually bothered to try! If you are collapsing, wheeling, etc deliberately then you should be penalised. Likewise, if your technique is so poor that you cannot scrummage correctly, well, the referee should ensure you are getting splinters up your :censored: for the safety of the other 15 players involved!