May - heart on his sleeve!

Youngs - head up his a**e!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Johnny May

Post by RagingBull »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:41 pm
AndyM wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:35 pm If it comes down to only being able to keep either Ben Youngs or Jonny May who would you choose?
May, and see if we can pick Brad Weber up on the cheap
Yeh picking up a All Black scrum half for the cheap sounds easy enough.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:57 pm
Mark62 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:41 pm
AndyM wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:35 pm If it comes down to only being able to keep either Ben Youngs or Jonny May who would you choose?
May, and see if we can pick Brad Weber up on the cheap
Yeh picking up a All Black scrum half for the cheap sounds easy enough.
3rd choice 👍😂
Flash

Post by Flash »

Apparently he's not off to saracens.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 78001.html
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Flash wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:04 pm Apparently he's not off to saracens.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 78001.html
If Jonny gets a good offer elsewhere, which Sarries wing should we head-hunt in order to help them out of their little financial difficulty...? :smt003
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:30 pm I think what’s meant is that Williams can play test rugby at either fullback or on the wing, whereas May is really an out and out winger.
Maybe all round player would be a better choice of words
To be honest I wouldn’t be surprised to see England playing May at full back for the 6 nations. He can kick, good under the high ball (better than Watson and way better than Daly)
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:36 pm
Mark62 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:30 pm I think what’s meant is that Williams can play test rugby at either fullback or on the wing, whereas May is really an out and out winger.
Maybe all round player would be a better choice of words
To be honest I wouldn’t be surprised to see England playing May at full back for the 6 nations. He can kick, good under the high ball (better than Watson and way better than Daly)
Sorry to disagree but Watson is at least as good under the high ball as May and is kicking game is much better.
The only way May will be at fullback is if 5 or 6 other people are injured.
He’s still England’s best winger, why would you move him to 15
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Watson deserves more credit than that, I am hoping Jones ousts Daly in favour of Furbank.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:13 am Watson deserves more credit than that, I am hoping Jones ousts Daly in favour of Furbank.
Could be a moot point as Watson limped out of the dead rubber mud bath last night. Geez. How they (Bath) can get away with that pitch in the modern day is beyond me.

And as to the comment that JM is better than BY based on the number of tries he has scored I think that’s a little unfair. As per a centre forward in football, the primary responsibility of a winger is to finish off moves so I would naturally expect a winger to score more tries than any other position. I’m sure someone can look it up, but I bet the top try scorers in any league or international team will be a winger.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

MCC1964 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:52 am
JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:13 am Watson deserves more credit than that, I am hoping Jones ousts Daly in favour of Furbank.
Could be a moot point as Watson limped out of the dead rubber mud bath last night. Geez. How they (Bath) can get away with that pitch in the modern day is beyond me.

And as to the comment that JM is better than BY based on the number of tries he has scored I think that’s a little unfair. As per a centre forward in football, the primary responsibility of a winger is to finish off moves so I would naturally expect a winger to score more tries than any other position. I’m sure someone can look it up, but I bet the top try scorers in any league or international team will be a winger.
The top 3 all time premiership try scorers are Varndell, Cueto and Ashton.
Yes Bath losing Watson is a blow hopefully not long term, I think Quins lost another hooker too in what was a dead rubber.

Interesting you mention the pitch. Did you catch the comment the Ibitoye didn’t dive for his try because it’s all sand in that corner
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

A lot of posts on this thread seem to be concentrating on, and suggesting, replacements for Johnny May. That's what these threads are for, and everybody has their own opinions as to an ideal replacement, and those opinions are quite divers. Building a winning squad isn't just about buying new players, it's also got to be about keeping what you've got that is good. In my humble opinion, the bottom half of the table is littered with teams who have let good players go, without a like replacement. I would like to see May stop at Tigers.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Coleshilllad, I don’t think anyone disagrees with you. I think the discussion centres around the contract that he can be offered, taking all other factors into account, what he may be offered elsewhere, and what he feels comfortable doing. We have a wage cap to work within, which I imagine will involve making some tough decisions.
If this was France no problem just offer him what he wants
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:21 am
MCC1964 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:52 am

The top 3 all time premiership try scorers are Varndell, Cueto and Ashton.
Yes Bath losing Watson is a blow hopefully not long term, I think Quins lost another hooker too in what was a dead rubber.

Interesting you mention the pitch. Did you catch the comment the Ibitoye didn’t dive for his try because it’s all sand in that corner
No, I missed that. Bit like ourselves they have such a great set of backs (when all fit) that it must be a ‘mare for them playing there in winter. A picturesque ground, but not really fitting if they have genuine ambitions, although I appreciate they have been going through a bit of a battle over it.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Coleshillad wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:35 am A lot of posts on this thread seem to be concentrating on, and suggesting, replacements for Johnny May. That's what these threads are for, and everybody has their own opinions as to an ideal replacement, and those opinions are quite divers. Building a winning squad isn't just about buying new players, it's also got to be about keeping what you've got that is good. In my humble opinion, the bottom half of the table is littered with teams who have let good players go, without a like replacement. I would like to see May stop at Tigers.
I don't think anyone wants May to go. At the same time the rumour is he's on £300k and Tigers have asked him to take a bit of a pay cut and that is probably where we need to be. We need to reinforce other areas and tie down quality like Ford and Genge. May is a devastating finisher but he's 30 and is likely to continue playing international rugby and will tour with the Lions. He's heavily reliant on his pace and at his age one knee injury will virtually wipe out his pace.

Hopefully May takes the slight pay cut knowing that the money he isn't getting is making his life easier and moving him towards the bigger club games.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I’ve said it before: Johnny May is a great bloke on and off the field so hopefully Tigers can keep him on the same salary. Again, I’ve said it before, Manu( love him to bits) shouldn’t be on the amount he’s on because he rarely plays for us and rarely makes a difference in terms of wins when he does play. TV, Genge, Ford and May do come up with performances that win games.
Therefore, May is worth every penny of his salary and still has at least 2-3 seasons of World Class play left in him.
Finally, you know what you are getting with May instead of signing players who then play spasmodically both form and fitness wise! Taute, maybe a very good player but how many games has he played so far!