Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Johnny May

Post by Big Dai »

BFG wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:23 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:07 pm True. But if you've not got the ball in the first instance where's the opportunity to score?

Fowards decide who wins the game, backs by how many. So I plump for a world class pack. Totally biased. Built on Tigers of old theory and scepticism on the backline that included a certain Australian that was supposed to win everything..........

The Manu argument posted earlier is an interesting one though.
I don't disagree, there is a balance to be found but it isn't the game that I and possibly you remember.
I welcome more class forwards and opportunities for the Leicester youth but May is a keeper in the current state, he does and will continue to score several tries a season that would result in more phases required from others.
I feel that balance is a more difficult thing to achieve now than it was before..... Look at the collosus that walked on as substitute for Saints today..... That's a winger?

Where we do need work is at centre. The midfield link.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

BFG wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:23 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:07 pm True. But if you've not got the ball in the first instance where's the opportunity to score?

Fowards decide who wins the game, backs by how many. So I plump for a world class pack. Totally biased. Built on Tigers of old theory and scepticism on the backline that included a certain Australian that was supposed to win everything..........

The Manu argument posted earlier is an interesting one though.
I don't disagree, there is a balance to be found but it isn't the game that I and possibly you remember.
I welcome more class forwards and opportunities for the Leicester youth but May is a keeper in the current state, he does and will continue to score several tries a season that would result in more phases required from others.
Quote father.
"We did have two Underwoods once upon a time?"

Cheers Dad!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Tigers must make every effort to keep May at Tigers
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Qbec wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:14 am Tigers must make every effort to keep May at Tigers
:smt023 +1 Agreed.

Just look at what he brings. Proven finisher with a great strike rate. High work rate. Superb under the high ball. Great defender.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:41 am
Qbec wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:14 am Tigers must make every effort to keep May at Tigers
:smt023 +1 Agreed.

Just look at what he brings. Proven finisher with a great strike rate. High work rate. Superb under the high ball. Great defender.
......and a great attitude.
As Good As It Gets
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Unfortunately the bigger picture has to be taken into account. If he can be kept while budgeting for other players then brilliant, but that isn’t always the case.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Seeing Olowfela develope and the running of TV and JM this weekend. I was inspired .
Therefore I would keep JM as this partnership was our break through moment.

I also worry that MT is injury prone and with the contract fee, I worry that we will he won't offer as much.
Predictable battering ram (although when on form unstoppable) Jumps out of the defensive line and out injured for periods.

Baby Rhino offers the same b*******k****g runs , aggressive tackling and great scrummaging.And resigned.
I can see MT agent (FT) commanding a big fee when his contract comes for renewal.

Can we afford JM against MT??
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:50 pm We may have no option if he gets a better offer elsewhere.
Also playing devils advocate of the 4 tries he has scored in the last 3 games, you would expect any premiership standard winger to have scored 3 of them, with the exception being his 2nd against Exeter.

I do appreciate there is more to his game than try scoring
No I am led to believe he wants to stay, but we are not offering him the money, the source I got this from was also the source who told me that Genge and Ford had re-signed and that Borthwick has confirmed joining us after the 6 nations so it is a pretty reliable source
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:31 am
Mark62 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:50 pm We may have no option if he gets a better offer elsewhere.
Also playing devils advocate of the 4 tries he has scored in the last 3 games, you would expect any premiership standard winger to have scored 3 of them, with the exception being his 2nd against Exeter.

No I am led to believe he wants to stay, but we are not offering him the money, the source I got this from was also the source who told me that Genge and Ford had re-signed and that Borthwick has confirmed joining us after the 6 nations so it is a pretty reliable source
I’m sure all tigers fans want all our internationals to stay but can’t always be the case.
It depends on what other offers are being made I suppose and whether that means staying in England.
I don’t necessarily think his England place is under threat at present but he is unlikely to be around for the next World Cup, and if as reported England are tapping up young Rees-Zammit he would be his natural replacement
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:59 am
Chobbsy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:31 am

I’m sure all tigers fans want all our internationals to stay but can’t always be the case.
It depends on what other offers are being made I suppose and whether that means staying in England.
I don’t necessarily think his England place is under threat at present but he is unlikely to be around for the next World Cup, and if as reported England are tapping up young Rees-Zammit he would be his natural replacement
My earlier point still stands - with a capped/limited budget, would you rather have, say, an international lock or an international winger?
Also - in exchanging Ed Slater for May, Matt O'Connor gave us yet another player who disappears on international duty, further unbalancing the side.
And finally - it takes two to make a contract. We can all see what he does on the field but we can only guess as to whether he is a positive or negative influence off it.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

International lock every day. I’ve said from the beginning of the season we are a lock short, with Jordan and Martin not quite there yet. This has been exacerbated by Liebenberg injury who could have filled in
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

It looks to me as though he is going - when someone is saying they may leave are they not also saying to the club do you want to pay me enough to stay as compared with what someone else is offering.

https://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id ... ers-summer

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... er-3708451
Hehehehehehehehe
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:40 am It looks to me as though he is going - when someone is saying they may leave are they not also saying to the club do you want to pay me enough to stay as compared with what someone else is offering.
So it doesn't look like he is off just yet then to me.
Although to get into the mind of what Jonny May is thinking I think would be a dangerous thing :smt002

Anyway if the daily mail are correct 17 players were out of contract this season, 4 have signed so 13 players are out of contract.
Educated guess potential 13 are
Gigena, Youngs, TPN, Stevens, Cortes, Spencer, Kalamfoni, Thompson, Youngs, Eastmond, May, Holmes, Thompstone.
Spencer, Kerr, Holmes the ones i'm most unsure on contracts wise.

If I was in charge personally.
I would try and keep on close to similar deal
Gigena,
Try to get pay cuts from but keep
Youngs (Honestly since brett has been in charge his lineout has improved), Kalamfoni, Thompson, Eastmond (Some days I like him others not sure on)
Move on from
Spencer (Although would 100% like to keep him just hard with his injuries), TPN, Stevens, Cortes, Thompstone

If that was the case would we have enough cap left to cover the Genge and Ford increase, re-sign May and Holmes to at least similar deals potentially have to pay higher and sign players to cover the leavers which IMO would be
1 Lock, 1 Hooker, Winger at least.

Could see both Kerr and Holmes potentially wanting to go to Wales and Scotland on top of that, would mean trying to get another Hooker and Winger.

Could do a Tiger special and try and move on mid contract McPhillips and Viljeon.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

The recent signings have all added something with Mcphillips and Viljoen being the exception. I would agree if they can be moved on mid contract to ease up cap it would be a good move. More than enough cover coming through particularly at 10
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I'd guess that Owen Hills is one of the 17 out of contract.

Spencer is a good back up to Lavanini but realistically we need a better starting lock in my opinion. Particularly with Spencer's injuries. If Spencer moving on allowed us to chase someone such as Alemanno or even Nick Isiekwe then it's a good move for the squad.

I'd release Eastmond and try to sign someone such as Alex Lozowski or Sam Hill who are both out of contract. They are also better players, especially in defense.

I was excited when McPhillips signed but with Hardwick settling into senior rugby and Costelow looking good against Cardiff it's hard to see where he fits into the squad. At fullback I'd prefer Steward to get game time ahead of his as well, which Freddie has.