Johnny May

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Johnny May

Post by strawclearer »

Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, we lose May (international class/money) and Spencer (premiership class/money).

Would you prefer to replace with 'like-for-like' - an international wing and a premiership lock or would you rather secure an international lock and a premiership winger?

(I'd go for another Lavanini with an Aspland-Robinson any day and twice on Saturday!)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:29 pm Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, we lose May (international class/money) and Spencer (premiership class/money).

Would you prefer to replace with 'like-for-like' - an international wing and a premiership lock or would you rather secure an international lock and a premiership winger?

(I'd go for another Lavanini with an Aspland-Robinson any day and twice on Saturday!)
Totally agree
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:29 pm Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, we lose May (international class/money) and Spencer (premiership class/money).

You could argue that Saints have the better quality at wing and are doing quite nicely at the moment, but received wisdom of course favours strength in the forwards...
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Saints also have 3 very good locks in Lawes, Ribbans and Moon. Rutuniyarawa is getting towards to end of his career but he's a very fine 4th choice lock as well.

Chatting with a Saints fan during the Wasps game today he made the interesting observation that their squad is very streamlined now. There's some extra fat in the front row (a couple of hookers and Paul Hill will likely be released in the summer) but outside of that they have a fairly small squad with quality options who offer versatility.

In the back row they have Harrison, Ludlam, Wood, Gibson and Eadie. Only 5 options but they rotate well with Lawes able to cover blindside when needed.

At centre they have Francis, Hutchinson, Dingwall, Proctor and Symons. Again they rotate well will Proctor and Symons covering wing when needed.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

ABClub wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:20 pm Saints also have 3 very good locks in Lawes, Ribbans and Moon. Rutuniyarawa is getting towards to end of his career but he's a very fine 4th choice lock as well.

Chatting with a Saints fan during the Wasps game today he made the interesting observation that their squad is very streamlined now. There's some extra fat in the front row (a couple of hookers and Paul Hill will likely be released in the summer) but outside of that they have a fairly small squad with quality options who offer versatility.

In the back row they have Harrison, Ludlam, Wood, Gibson and Eadie. Only 5 options but they rotate well with Lawes able to cover blindside when needed.

At centre they have Francis, Hutchinson, Dingwall, Proctor and Symons. Again they rotate well will Proctor and Symons covering wing when needed.
A squad that is competitive in the Premiership but not when they play in Europe. I guess it depends where your ambitions lie.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:34 pm
ABClub wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:20 pm Saints also have 3 very good locks in Lawes, Ribbans and Moon. Rutuniyarawa is getting towards to end of his career but he's a very fine 4th choice lock as well.

A squad that is competitive in the Premiership but not when they play in Europe. I guess it depends where your ambitions lie.
I think they are, quite sensibly, aiming to do well in the Premiership before they set their sights on conquering Europe.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:55 pm

You could argue that Saints have the better quality at wing and are doing quite nicely at the moment, but received wisdom of course favours strength in the forwards...
I think you could argue Saints have a greater variety at wing (or those they choose to select on the wings). We could certainly add variety, probably in the form of a big carrier with the versatility to play centre (Rabeni/Goneva-esque).
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Aspland-Robinson hasn't done much here.
Surely Browning and the other academy lads deserve opportunities to come through under the likes of May than signing another Aspland-Robinson type.
It'll cost to get May's signature, it'll cost to replace May's finishing with another, and it'll cost a lot more not to sign or replace it or bring through young Leicester talent.
Importantly though not keeping May and signing another (any other) is just adding to the player merry-go-round, a factor in Leicester's troubles.
We can't keep blaming the coaching for how well the machine is running when we keep swapping for different or cheaper parts!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I like Aspland-Robinson I just think he's been unlucky with injuries. Considering how little he will cost to retain I'd keep him on as he's also versatile. I agree with BFG it's important to keep developing the next generation, it'll be far cheaper to bring through Steward, Browning and Gilliand than it will to cut them loose and then go looking for replacements elsewhere.

We've seen with Owolfela that it won't happen overnight but a young lad who'll put his body on the line for his club and who isn't being laid to relocate. Wil allow us to prioritise high profile signings in areas of need which will hopefully lead to a stronger committed squad. It's what we used to do and what Sarries and Exeter are doing so well.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Functional analysis?

Win the line out, win the scrum, big carries in play, big defensive hits.
Versus
Catch, run and fall over?

Forward over back all day.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Who is worth paying more, Manu or Johnny May?
I’d jokingly suggest Manu do the decent thing and give up £100,000 of his salary to go towards keeping Johnny who plays regularly, scores regularly and tackles brilliantly! I remember years ago fans moaning about keeping Lewis Moody when he hardly ever played for us! Manu cannot help getting injured but he’s hardly helped us win any games for the last 3 seasons.
If Manu is fit next week he should play v Cardiff otherwise he will then be off with England and in probability come back broken again. Harsh, but this is the professional era. Yes, look after Manu, but not to the detriment of the whole team! Hope Manu proves me wrong and comes back from the Six Nations to play, alongside May, in our battle to avoid relegation.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:32 pm

Functional analysis?

Win the line out, win the scrum, big carries in play, big defensive hits.
Versus
Catch, run and fall over?

Forward over back all day.
And add to the number of breakdowns!
Any player that can potentially reduce the amount of breakdowns to score is worth keeping in my opinion!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

True. But if you've not got the ball in the first instance where's the opportunity to score?

Fowards decide who wins the game, backs by how many. So I plump for a world class pack. Totally biased. Built on Tigers of old theory and scepticism on the backline that included a certain Australian that was supposed to win everything..........

The Manu argument posted earlier is an interesting one though.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

It is interesting how certain positions seem to have more perceived value than others, Tight head and outside centre being 2 examples.
I thought that they were managing Manu’s groin issues but it seems to have reappeared after a game where he was used as a battering ram, a tactic previous coaches were criticised for
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:07 pm True. But if you've not got the ball in the first instance where's the opportunity to score?

Fowards decide who wins the game, backs by how many. So I plump for a world class pack. Totally biased. Built on Tigers of old theory and scepticism on the backline that included a certain Australian that was supposed to win everything..........

The Manu argument posted earlier is an interesting one though.
I don't disagree, there is a balance to be found but it isn't the game that I and possibly you remember.
I welcome more class forwards and opportunities for the Leicester youth but May is a keeper in the current state, he does and will continue to score several tries a season that would result in more phases required from others.