Johnny May

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Johnny May

Post by norfolkexpat »

There is absolutely no way we should be letting him go... absolutely diabolical if we are contemplating it. He is our icing on the cake...
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Johnny May

Post by LE18 »

norfolkexpat wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:44 pm There is absolutely no way we should be letting him go... absolutely diabolical if we are contemplating it. He is our icing on the cake...
:smt023 :smt023 :smt023
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

We may have no option if he gets a better offer elsewhere.
Also playing devils advocate of the 4 tries he has scored in the last 3 games, you would expect any premiership standard winger to have scored 3 of them, with the exception being his 2nd against Exeter.

I do appreciate there is more to his game than try scoring
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Obviously after yesterday’s performances we’d want to keep Youngs and May. But only if the price is right sadly. I hope with May being good mates with Ford and other players at the club may help his decision. But if we only offer him 200k and Saracens say 325k, you could hardly blame for him for leaving. You also don’t want the club matching their offer if it means we can’t bring in the players we want for next season.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

In an ideal world we would resign May, but as we probably keep to the cap you have to assess where you need to spend it, if the cheats are willing to outbid us for a winger, so be it however good they are, maybe we could offer less money but a longer contract?
As for YBY l think its really up to him.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

With relegation and a wage cap still active in the Premiership I can understand why a side low down in the table will be hesitant in spending heavily on England Internationals. Players of May’s standard were essential when we were a top side pushing for trophy’s but now that is not the case the management need to assess the value of paying a chunk of our wage cap on players we don’t have available every game. This is where Rugby have got things oh so wrong. Allowing a situation where top class players such as Elliot Daly and Johnny May struggle to get a new contract at their present clubs due to the pressure of having to have a squad that needs to be effective when clubs are without their best players when internationals are on.

Meanwhile a couple of clubs will offer very little to the RFU yet they don’t have such problems and could stay in the top flight at the cost of a club who’ve just supplied 6 players to the World Cup finalists.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

This totally hypothetical figures wise, but as an example.
If Williams is being paid £350k by Saracens, and they offer May £250k, against Tigers £200k, they are saving money and getting an international player, whereas Tigers have that £50k earmarked for another player.
I believe something happened similar with Munipola.

There of course could be other clubs interested but it would surprise me if Jonny went to a club where he was playing half his games on a plastic surface, given the comments from Englands coaches about him needing to be treated like a fine tuned sports car
10mill
Tiger Cub

Post by 10mill »

Re England players it is a double edged sword..

Clubs get paid by RFU for providing England players.
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

10mill wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:16 pm Re England players it is a double edged sword..

Yes I know there is a plus side but the risk of relegation outweighs those payments.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

It’s all a balance. We have Holmes, Thompstone, Olowofela and potentially Veainu (not mentioning the others). If it comes down to money then just with the depth in the position, May becomes more vulnerable perhaps than Youngs.

It’s a tough call. His post match interview was interesting yesterday.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Mayocaz wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:24 pm
10mill wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:16 pm Re England players it is a double edged sword..

Yes I know there is a plus side but the risk of relegation outweighs those payments.
Isn’t it the case that the premiership clubs share that money out equally?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Personally, I think May is worth his weight in gold.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:14 pm Personally, I think May is worth his weight in gold.
So you would put his signing above those of Ford and Genge
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:22 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:14 pm Personally, I think May is worth his weight in gold.
Tricky one. Certainly not above Ford.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:25 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:22 pm
Tricky one. Certainly not above Ford.
The reason I ask the question is that their salary increases are likely to have an effect on what the likes of May and Youngs will be offered