Tigers vs Cardiff - 12th January 2020

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Tigers vs Cardiff - 12th January 2020

Post by teds »

speedski wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:26 pm White can be a great player for us, of that I have no doubt, but the idea that its somehow the forwards fault is just ridiculous. Even Ford was on his case throughout the second half, notably keeping him up to speed and pushing on.
The thing that surprises me most about this, is that you imply Ford was silent on the matter in the first half. As 10, captain, or even as just a far more experienced player, he should be in his 9’s ear all the time.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

White is showing himself to be an exemplar of the young prospect with whom we must be patient.

I've seen enough in his play to suggest he's already at least a Premiership-level scrum-half. Whether he can push on or not remains to be seen. We're going to have to accept that his performances will be patchy as he gains more experience.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

teds wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:09 pm
speedski wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:26 pm White can be a great player for us, of that I have no doubt, but the idea that its somehow the forwards fault is just ridiculous. Even Ford was on his case throughout the second half, notably keeping him up to speed and pushing on.
The thing that surprises me most about this, is that you imply Ford was silent on the matter in the first half. As 10, captain, or even as just a far more experienced player, he should be in his 9’s ear all the time.
I suppose if Ford is in the ear all of the time then nobody finds anything out and potential flaws are covered up, and planned development doesn't happen.
Talk on the terrace around me yesterday (which was getting very frustrated) was that White hindered Leicester in general, as the half went on this frustration grew amongst the crowd.
It was not just a few negative minority voices but frustration at slow play and missed opportunities that can be seen from the stands, anyone that was there would know this.
Up the jumper didn't really play to young players such as Lewis and Reffell's strengths and Leicester didn't beat the defensive reset much or create much in the way mismatches yesterday.
White is a development player and not better than any of the other young 9's of which there are a few and who we are yet to see, Leicester have a lot of talented options and White will need to get much better yet in my opinion.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

dpoc74 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:48 am Slightly off topic but that win means we top the group and have a quarter finals at home? Correct?
I assume these tickets aren’t included in the season tickets, and will be released nearer the time.
Does anyone know if season ticket holders can get first dibs on their usual seats?
It may only be the Challenge cup, but a knockout game at WR is a must watch for me.
we need 2 points vs Pau to guarantee a home quarter final
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

teds wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:09 pm
I'd love to see Ford in YBY ear all game to he is often glacially slow
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:06 pm
dpoc74 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:48 am Slightly off topic but that win means we top the group and have a quarter finals at home? Correct?
I assume these tickets aren’t included in the season tickets, and will be released nearer the time.
Does anyone know if season ticket holders can get first dibs on their usual seats?
It may only be the Challenge cup, but a knockout game at WR is a must watch for me.
Should know on Friday night I think Castres travel to Wuss.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think White has a lot to go but there is enough potential there, yes he was picked by England to play the Baabaas but that was Voldemort coaching not Jones.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

A lot more complicated than that. If Worcester beat Castres at home Friday night we will qualify as 4th seed we may move up to 3rd seed depending on other results, particularly at The Ricoh, and how we get on at Pau
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:42 pm
A lot more complicated than that. If Worcester beat Castres at home Friday night we will qualify as 4th seed we may move up to 3rd seed depending on other results, particularly at The Ricoh, and how we get on at Pau
they said on RL post match pod get 2 points at Pau we get a home quarter, didn't go into seeding
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:56 pm I was very disappointed that Simmons only got 4 minutes on the pitch, why was White left at SH and Simmons stuck on the wing?
We desperately needed to see what Simmons could do at SH, is he back to full fitness, I really cannot see why White played the full 80 mins, most on this forum thought that he was very slow, me included, so why was Simmons not given 15/20 mins at SH? Wonder how the lad felt? Sorry to moan about White but I can see why Shazzam decided to chuck it in. In Whites defence he backed up to cross for his try, well done, it was his best moment, very pleased we won as I was very dubious about the whole of our selection. Thanks GF, TV, and a few more of our team.
Harrison "chucking it in" had nothing to do with rugby and more to do with lifestyle. He wanted to make a change whilst his body was in good condition rather than play another 3 years and to end up like some other players.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Good to get another win. Was that the first time in a while that Tigers came out in the second half and hit the ground running?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:48 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:42 pm

they said on RL post match pod get 2 points at Pau we get a home quarter, didn't go into seeding
That is correct. 2 points puts us on 24 and Castres are currently on 18 so can only get a maximum of 23 assuming they get a BP win away to Worcester. The only other teams in the mix with us are Bristol and Toulon (likely top 2) and Bordeaux-Begles.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Yes but if Worcester win Friday night we have a home quarter and if doesn’t matter what happens in Pau.
The 2 points means we don’t have to rely on other results, but as mentioned if the right result happens on Friday night I.e. Castres don’t win we are guaranteed a home quarter.

The tables are widely available for viewing for posters to work out for themselves
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Also, Tigers have a better points difference by 40 points at the moment.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:49 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:56 pm I was very disappointed that Simmons only got 4 minutes on the pitch, why was White left at SH and Simmons stuck on the wing?
We desperately needed to see what Simmons could do at SH, is he back to full fitness, I really cannot see why White played the full 80 mins, most on this forum thought that he was very slow, me included, so why was Simmons not given 15/20 mins at SH? Wonder how the lad felt? Sorry to moan about White but I can see why Shazzam decided to chuck it in. In Whites defence he backed up to cross for his try, well done, it was his best moment, very pleased we won as I was very dubious about the whole of our selection. Thanks GF, TV, and a few more of our team.
Harrison "chucking it in" had nothing to do with rugby and more to do with lifestyle. He wanted to make a change whilst his body was in good condition rather than play another 3 years and to end up like some other players.
Whilst it was a "tongue in cheek" statement by me, if you were a quality scrum half like Sam, and from last season, you become a permanent understudy to White, would you not have yearned for a life in the sun? Similarly, after the snub that young Simmons received yesterday, surprised if he didn't have similar thoughts to Sam. I don't wish to be a White basher, but why with a substitute SH on the bench, why was he allowed to play a full 80 mins, he put us under pressure right from the first minute with that dreadfully telegraphed box kick?