Tigers vs Cardiff - 12th January 2020

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Cardiff - 12th January 2020

Post by kk20gb30 »

Showing my age a little here - Sam Lewis has obviously much more to achieve in the game but comparisons to Tom Croft are not out of place .Massive potential.Believe in every sense he will grow into a real top player.
Also have seen may debuts worse than Joe Batley's - took responsibility and fronted up well.Has the physical attributes to succeed.
Any win is a good win.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Truefollower
Tiger Cub

Post by Truefollower »

To all, today was an opportunity to test the squad and they did ok, see it as it is development of a squad that we need to complete the season and not a choice 15 who can't and won't be available every week. credit where credit is due they picked a side against a pretty much first 15 Cardiff and won. Celebrate move on and realise they the coaches know more. :smt001
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:20 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:08 pm Thought Hughes played alright, but struggle to see where he would fit in the squad with Aspland-Robinson signing an extension with the club. Especially with the rumours of maybe Lam joining too, surely there would be no room.
Reaching back a bit sorry but I've not heard that rumour, is that Ben Lam of the Hurricanes? That would be some capture if so.
Lots of chat about him recently on the Leicester Tigers 2019/20 Squad Transfers blog if you’re interested
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Truefollower wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:41 pm To all, today was an opportunity to test the squad and they did ok, see it as it is development of a squad that we need to complete the season and not a choice 15 who can't and won't be available every week. credit where credit is due they picked a side against a pretty much first 15 Cardiff and won. Celebrate move on and realise they the coaches know more. :smt001

Yes, I do agree that a positive approach is far more enjoyable than the often unnecessary negativity.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

Inclined to agree re Clancy, but seems to be a general demise amongst referees. Not enough help from TMO or anyone else. IMO.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:52 pm
Truefollower wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:41 pm To all, today was an opportunity to test the squad and they did ok, see it as it is development of a squad that we need to complete the season and not a choice 15 who can't and won't be available every week. credit where credit is due they picked a side against a pretty much first 15 Cardiff and won. Celebrate move on and realise they the coaches know more. :smt001

Yes, I do agree that a positive approach is far more enjoyable than the often unnecessary negativity.
I’m not against criticism after the event if it’s deserved, or lively debate if opinions differ, it’s the constant carping as soon as the squad is released, and criticism of players and coaches before a ball is kicked.
One poster actually said on Friday further proof that Murphy doesn’t know what he’s doing.

Something that a lot of us Keyboard pundits forget is that the coaches are having to start planning selections probably 3 games ahead, not a game at a time, and in order to do this they are having to take note of input from medics, physios and the S and C guys as well as tactical considerations.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Came back from the game feeling the whole team did well.
Again Ford gave a master class of Fly Half play and, as we realised when he was out so much last season,Telusa is ( along with Ford) the other player who really does make things happen.
Boladau again looked a more than useful number 8 and White played better in second half due to much better clearing out: in the first 50 minutes Coghlan looked a bit slow at the back of the scrum,seeming reluctant to deliver decent ball to White. I agree, however, that White needs to just play his game: Clancy largely ignored Cardiff being offside so White needs to learn, as he will, to take the ref out of the equation! Easier said than done.
Our problem during the Six Nations will be at 9 and 10 so whoever Murphy has in mind for this period must play next week with a decent pack.
Olowofela, again had an excellent game, helped by Telus directing and encouraging him.
Next week I’d certainly rest Telusa as he, in my opinion, is vital to getting anything v Bath and the huge game v Wasps.
Well done to the whole squad and the coaches for getting the win.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Having been at the game there was a collective relief around where I was when the Cardiff 15 went off injured.
The guy was causing chaos and until he went I thought that those who had questioned selection had indeed made a very valid point.
I don't mind a bit of luck though now and again, others seem to get some so why not Leicester!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I was very disappointed that Simmons only got 4 minutes on the pitch, why was White left at SH and Simmons stuck on the wing?
We desperately needed to see what Simmons could do at SH, is he back to full fitness, I really cannot see why White played the full 80 mins, most on this forum thought that he was very slow, me included, so why was Simmons not given 15/20 mins at SH? Wonder how the lad felt? Sorry to moan about White but I can see why Shazzam decided to chuck it in. In Whites defence he backed up to cross for his try, well done, it was his best moment, very pleased we won as I was very dubious about the whole of our selection. Thanks GF, TV, and a few more of our team.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I don't think White's delivery was slow for the whole game - there were situations where we, as.supporters, thought that he should have delivered the ball more swiftly than he did. However, there were a number of passages of play, mostly in the second half, where his delivery was more snappy and gave us opportunities to make progress up the field.

I believe that Simmons should be given some game time and I think he will get that in Pau, but could have done with 15-20 today too.

Either way, a ten point win with a much changed side at home cannot be sniffed at. A win is a win and can only help breed confidence in the players.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:56 pm I was very disappointed that Simmons only got 4 minutes on the pitch, why was White left at SH and Simmons stuck on the wing?
We desperately needed to see what Simmons could do at SH, is he back to full fitness, I really cannot see why White played the full 80 mins, most on this forum thought that he was very slow, me included, so why was Simmons not given 15/20 mins at SH? Wonder how the lad felt? Sorry to moan about White but I can see why Shazzam decided to chuck it in. In Whites defence he backed up to cross for his try, well done, it was his best moment, very pleased we won as I was very dubious about the whole of our selection. Thanks GF, TV, and a few more of our team.
Clear a couple of things up. Simmons will feel that when he gets his chance he will have to make the most of it. I would think he has been told the plan for the next couple of weeks, and he may well get the full game next week. Unless you’ve been at training or have inside knowledge you don’t know any more than the rest of us.
As for Sam Harrison his decision to move his whole family was non rugby related and more a complete life style change for them all, in my book that’s not chucking it in
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:30 pm Wells packing down at 8 for the defensive scrum
He did that last week and I think maybe against Quins too, it allows the quicker backrowers to spring up on the attack once the scrum is complete.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
dpoc74
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by dpoc74 »

Slightly off topic but that win means we top the group and have a quarter finals at home? Correct?
I assume these tickets aren’t included in the season tickets, and will be released nearer the time.
Does anyone know if season ticket holders can get first dibs on their usual seats?
It may only be the Challenge cup, but a knockout game at WR is a must watch for me.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

dpoc74 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:48 am Slightly off topic but that win means we top the group and have a quarter finals at home? Correct?
I assume these tickets aren’t included in the season tickets, and will be released nearer the time.
Does anyone know if season ticket holders can get first dibs on their usual seats?
It may only be the Challenge cup, but a knockout game at WR is a must watch for me.
Top the group yes, home quarter is dependent on Worcester v Castres on Friday and to a certain degree if we get anything at Pau.
As for season tickets the ticket won’t be included in your season ticket, but from memory the club do let season ticket holders and members apply before general salev
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Pleased to be wrong about the second half yesterday! :smt041
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.