Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Cardiff - 12th January 2020

Post by Mark62 »

speedski wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:26 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:50 pm
fentiger wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:08 pm

My opinion, which is probably worthless, is that the Tigers game was crying out to be sped up. The ball was available at the base of the ruck on countless occasions whilst White spent time impersonating a windmill and/or prevaricating what to actually do!
Yes, he has some strengths but an awful lot of weaknesses.
Unless the ball is available at the base of the ruck within 2 seconds the opposition defence will be in place.
I’ll say again the speed of ball from the 9 depends on how quickly the ball comes from the forwards.
When there was quick ball today White was moving it quickly and accurately.
Btw that’s fact not opinion
In the first half White was atrociously slow at the breakdown. It had nothing to do with the speed of the ball from the forwards - not in a million years! He kept shepherding in more before picking it up and kicking it away yet again.

Case in point, the forwards delivered the ball at the same speed throughout the game and yet the second half from White was much faster than the first. His first action, stalling at the clear out and completely coming undone as Clancy told him HE had taken the ball back in the 22 very nearly led to a try for CB in the first few minutes.

I am glad White clearly had a talking to at half time - he really needs to stop kicking away ball too - we had enough in the backs to cause problems, so did CB, but the key difference was CB hardly kicked the ball away at all throughout the 80 minutes, Tigers the opposite.

White can be a great player for us, of that I have no doubt, but the idea that its somehow the forwards fault is just ridiculous.

Finally worth mentioning was the lack of offside being blown today - it was just ridiculous!
Your opinion which you are entitled too. I’ve made my opinion on White today known and I’m leaving it there.

I would agree about their offside and handling on the floor
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:38 pm With BFG here, told you Cardiff backs would be good. Would be far happier if we'd put 30 on them in the first half using our strongest.
This was either very confident from GM or a lucky roll of the dice. If the former, looks good for 6N.
This was (and is) my take on things too. I was surprised at the selection and am relieved (and pleased) we won.

Indications are better for the 6N period though it seems the tactical "nouse" was supplied by a guaranteed absentee. Who steps up at 10 and provides the tactical calmness spoken of today is my concern.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

My three Penneth. I think upto a few months ago we would not have recovered from that first half and lost the game.

The three outstanding players for me was Ford. Genge and Veainu.. Ford is now utterly world class and gave a lesson in game management (I’m still convinced that the penalty kick to the corner was inch perfect and the linesman bottled it!). Having seen Veainu link up in the last few games with May to devastating effect ,it was good to see this working with Olowofela..When Genge came on we just seemed to step up a gear.

My nagging doubt is can we maintain this, particularly in the Prem, with our internationals away for the 6N ?

But overall it’s a good day.for Tigers 🐯
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Watching the game from the stands didn't offer me the best view of certain incidents and situations which resulted me in being confused about what was going on in the scrum today. I had expected the scrum to be more dominant with their injuries and the quality and bulk of our replacements, but that didn't really materialise.
Jordan O was awesome in attack but not good enough in defensive situations. Nevertheless, he came close to my personal Man of the match. Watching White being so laboured and ponderous in the first half was painful and I hope he learns quickly.
Pleased with the result, although it was a good job Cardiff were not great today. Really pleased to see the likes of Lewis, Reffell getting valuable experience and game time.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:29 pm
speedski wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:26 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:50 pm

Unless the ball is available at the base of the ruck within 2 seconds the opposition defence will be in place.
I’ll say again the speed of ball from the 9 depends on how quickly the ball comes from the forwards.
When there was quick ball today White was moving it quickly and accurately.
Btw that’s fact not opinion
In the first half White was atrociously slow at the breakdown. It had nothing to do with the speed of the ball from the forwards - not in a million years! He kept shepherding in more before picking it up and kicking it away yet again.

Case in point, the forwards delivered the ball at the same speed throughout the game and yet the second half from White was much faster than the first. His first action, stalling at the clear out and completely coming undone as Clancy told him HE had taken the ball back in the 22 very nearly led to a try for CB in the first few minutes.

I am glad White clearly had a talking to at half time - he really needs to stop kicking away ball too - we had enough in the backs to cause problems, so did CB, but the key difference was CB hardly kicked the ball away at all throughout the 80 minutes, Tigers the opposite.

White can be a great player for us, of that I have no doubt, but the idea that its somehow the forwards fault is just ridiculous.

Finally worth mentioning was the lack of offside being blown today - it was just ridiculous!
Your opinion which you are entitled too. I’ve made my opinion on White today known and I’m leaving it there.

I would agree about their offside and handling on the floor
No problem

Murphs has his opinion too...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51007028

"I felt once we held on to a lot more ball, we would cause problems and that's how it turned out."
Last edited by speedski on Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Maybe a home QF against Edinburgh could be on the cards! Tasty !
Semper in excretia
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

White needs to stop taking his lead from Ben Youngs of Tigers and focus more on the one that plays for England.

The ref will penalise the opposition irrespective of the arm waving of the scrum half. At times in the second half he got the ball out quickly and the impact was there for all to see. If he just sets his mind on getting the ball out ASAP he would be far better. Be that to kick run or pass.

If not replace him.

We have powerful forwards who are delivering the ball. Unless he uses it quickly their efforts are wasted.
The same applies to Youngs. Look how dynamic the scrum half play is from all the other Premiership sides.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I thought that the two loan players looked decent in their first outings. Batley especially fronted up well in second row.

The back play looked much better and Olowafela looks so much better this year than last - whether that's the return of TV I've no idea, but he's shown up well in the last two matches.

Ford's absence does worry me, however.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:09 pm There is also the issue of the players outside him being ready. If they aren't in position then flinging it out pronto will only result in being tackled behind the gain line. I think it's a little early in White's career to judge him as being utterly useful or a complete success. For me, he looks very promising. Simmons deserves a chance too and I hope he gets some game time over the next couple of months.

Two matches in a row now a lot of us have questioned Murphy's selections, and again he has been vindicated. Even if we hadn't won I feel that the selection was a good one. A decent performance from a team of players, many of whom had not played together before - it will only improve our chances during the 6N.

I'm still a little wary of the excitement about Lewis. Yes, he can run like Tom Croft, but he needs to be able to do the nuts and bolts of the flanker's role too and I feel that like Olowofela he is too lightweight. Hopefully he learnt a lot from facing Navidi today.

I would play a similar team against Pau, probably resting the first teamers who were starting today and throwing in a few of the others who had the weekend off. I would not be surprised though if we send more of a 1st choice team - there's always the danger going to France with a load of kids that you might get stuffed, and that's not going to help anyone's development. Taufua and Lavanini would be on my teamsheet to give that physicality and experience in the forwards.
Agree with a lot of that. Particularly the Murphy selections.

I think Lewis is bulking up. He's not naturally a massive bloke so he's always likely to be more Crofty in size. To his credit his work rate and tackle count are good, he saved a couple of tries in his AP performances so far. As with a lot of young players he'll learn by doing, you're right he'll have learnt a lot by playing against Navidi (a player who himself took time to develop).

We might make the pack a bit more meaty for next week but I'd expect to see some more youngsters particularly Hardwick in at 10 and Ford given the week off.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:42 pm Maybe a home QF against Edinburgh could be on the cards! Tasty !
It’s likely we will be playing the winner of the Castres, Worcester group
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:51 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:42 pm Maybe a home QF against Edinburgh could be on the cards! Tasty !
It’s likely we will be playing the winner of the Castres, Worcester group
Probably Wuss, as Castres’ away form is nowt to write home about. That said.........!
Semper in excretia
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The 9's on either side were like chalk and cheese today.
When Cardiff's systems weren't in place or an opportunity to break was on the Cardiff 9 took the initiative and attacked with real pace.
Leicester put a huge amount of pressure on the forwards to be in position constantly and it often came to a halt.
Folk were getting frustrated around me and I think it transferred to the pitch.
White doesn't look confident breaking, no idea if he is tied down by coaching orders or simply lacks pace off the mark.
I thought that Ford rescued a fair bit and would be concerned without him presently.
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

mol2 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:44 pm White needs to stop taking his lead from Ben Youngs of Tigers and focus more on the one that plays for England.

The ref will penalise the opposition irrespective of the arm waving of the scrum half. At times in the second half he got the ball out quickly and the impact was there for all to see. If he just sets his mind on getting the ball out ASAP he would be far better. Be that to kick run or pass.

If not replace him.

We have powerful forwards who are delivering the ball. Unless he uses it quickly their efforts are wasted.
The same applies to Youngs. Look how dynamic the scrum half play is from all the other Premiership sides.
Well said. Some very good points. I particularly like the one about the scrum half play in other premiership sides. Doesn't always leap out, but a lot of good consistent service.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:33 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:38 pm With BFG here, told you Cardiff backs would be good. Would be far happier if we'd put 30 on them in the first half using our strongest.
This was either very confident from GM or a lucky roll of the dice. If the former, looks good for 6N.
This was (and is) my take on things too. I was surprised at the selection and am relieved (and pleased) we won.

Indications are better for the 6N period though it seems the tactical "nouse" was supplied by a guaranteed absentee. Who steps up at 10 and provides the tactical calmness spoken of today is my concern.
Many big names had the weekend off.
Not Ford, on today's showing with good reason and one positive has to be that the coaches know it.
I'm also wondering what happens when he is missing!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:08 pm Thought Hughes played alright, but struggle to see where he would fit in the squad with Aspland-Robinson signing an extension with the club. Especially with the rumours of maybe Lam joining too, surely there would be no room.
Reaching back a bit sorry but I've not heard that rumour, is that Ben Lam of the Hurricanes? That would be some capture if so.