Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Cardiff - 12th January 2020

Post by Mark62 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:51 pm
Mark62 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:19 pm
jgriffin wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:13 pm Underpowered and untried team. No idea what GM is playing at. Full strength side, this side goes to Pau after cementing top place while top players rest? Would've turned out best team as Cardiff are! Could be another mistake amongst many. :smt009 :smt009
you’ve got England’s half backs
No Ben Youngs
My apologies I read Ben
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:07 pm Match fitness shouldn't be the big worry for Manu a month off isn't that big considering he has been playing/training form July. Doubt it will be of concern for Eddie unfortunately.
happywomble wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:24 pm
voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:15 pm What's happened to Jake Kerr? Seemed to be developing nicely last season but hardly seen in matchday squads so far this season? I thought they might rest Tom Youngs and start with TPN with Jake on the bench.
I agree, would have been nice to see Kerr.

Also, whats the fitness update on Liebenberg? I see Holmes is approaching return, which is very welcome, but would be good to have Liebenberg back for us as soon as possible!
February is the hope for Liebenberg
Thanks RB! Fingers crossed for earlier Feb! :smt018
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:07 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:52 pm
jgriffin wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:13 pm Underpowered and untried team. No idea what GM is playing at. Full strength side, this side goes to Pau after cementing top place while top players rest? Would've turned out best team as Cardiff are! Could be another mistake amongst many. :smt009 :smt009
Joe Batley is definitely under powered after all his is only 6 ft 7 in and a mere 19st 7lb !!!! :smt017
Sorry should have said untested, or unevidenced, and definitely untried in places. We've had big players before who turn out to be underpowered - you see the difference with Tuafua and Lavanini. And my argument stands over a mistake - this could be defensively costly initially and the team melds. It may well be that the front row crumples Cardiff and we profit thereafter, but don't bet against our defence being shredded initially by good backs patterns - something we've seen before (e.g. Dragons some seasons ago).
So you disagree with a player being selected because they are untested. How do they become tested then? What a bizarre point of view. I would have thought this is an ideal time to do just that.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I'm a fan of this team personally, we need depth for the annual grim old slog that is the 6N so I'm looking forward to seeing what the fringe players can do. I'd have played Taufua myself as a sort of get out of jail card but otherwise yeah let's have it!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:14 pmHopefully Clancy will officiate well enough, wasn’t he the ref for the home Racing fixture last year I remember him being quite poor?
They say Hope is the last to die.....and I fear you are hoping for the impossible. I know it's easy to 'bash' a ref but Clowncy really takes the biscuit, exceeded only by Lacey in the 'poor' stakes (neither are as high as 'quite poor') :smt023

Very happy to be proven wrong, win lose or draw, but I won't be holding my breath!
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:52 pm
Joe Batley is definitely under powered after all his is only 6 ft 7 in and a mere 19st 7lb !!!! :smt017
Joe Batley has also been very impressive in his two outings for the Dev XV too.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

So I thought the accepted wisdom on here was that we'd pick a strong team, whoop Cardiff, qualify and relax a bit in Pau?

What do I know?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:33 pm So I thought the accepted wisdom on here was that we'd pick a strong team, whoop Cardiff, qualify and relax a bit in Pau?

What do I know?
Not sure anyone was advocating a strong team Dai, no one realistic anyway. There is still enough strength and it looks like Cardiff are experimenting in the 13 channel, supposedly the most difficult place to defendv
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:01 pm
Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:33 pm So I thought the accepted wisdom on here was that we'd pick a strong team, whoop Cardiff, qualify and relax a bit in Pau?

What do I know?
Not sure anyone was advocating a strong team Dai, no one realistic anyway. There is still enough strength and it looks like Cardiff are experimenting in the 13 channel, supposedly the most difficult place to defendv
I don’t think anyone was suggesting a full strength team but there are plenty of posters that wanted to see us win this then rest key players away to Pau. Not sure if you class these people as unrealistic but surely everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Equally didn’t you say you ‘can’t see Cardiff sending up any more than a second team, they have nothing to gain’

Playing devils advocate one could argue you were the one being unrealistic as Cardiff have targeted this as a ‘must win’ game and have sent a fairly strong side, pretty much their best available.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I guess after seeing Wells and Green start at 6 and May, Youngs, Ford, Manu and Cole all starting at home to Calvisano anything is within the realms of possibility at the moment!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Fair point and I am surprised at the strength of the side they are sending. See I was wrong and I’ve got over it.

People seem to be looking on this as a weak Tigers side. I know it isn’t full strength but it’s hardly weak, premiership strength front row , flankers many people have been crying out to play along with a world class 10 and 15.
Add into the mix a hulk of a lock and a test capped winger who are basically on trial and will be wanting to impress.

People seem to complain about everything and I’m sure that it would be the same people saying why are we risking Lavanini, Taufua etc if they had been picked.

A weaker Tigers side beat a similar strength Cardiff side away and a win of any sort means we win the group
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

What do I know?
Same here.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:40 pm
People seem to complain about everything and I’m sure that it would be the same people saying why are we risking Lavanini, Taufua etc if they had been picked.

A weaker Tigers side beat a similar strength Cardiff side away and a win of any sort means we win the group
Agreed... seems GM is criticised whatever team he selects and the youngsters put in a great showing away from home so here’s hoping.

I really like the look of the back row and any backs division with Ford and Veianu will cause teams problems as you say.

While I would have liked to have seen slightly more experience for this match I’m looking forward to seeing this exciting squad play.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:45 pm

What do I know?
Same here.
A win and we top the group before the Pau trip , a weaker Tigers side won against a similar strength Cardiff side down there
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tigers will have to play well to win & that is probably a good thing.
No Taute is interesting, if 2 games is all his body can put together, he won't be the best signing will he.
As for the Ref, he used to be ok, but seems to of got dreadful, still better than Allan Lewis ever was...now how many players in a rugby union team?
To win is not as important as playing with style!