Tigers vs Cardiff - 12th January 2020

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tigers vs Cardiff - 12th January 2020

Post by No6_Flanker »

Looking at that team I get the feeling that it’s a little underpowered. That’s what you get without Kalamafoni and Taufua starting.

Glad to see George at 10, there’s a big gulf between him and Hardwick/Reid. Also good to see Harry Simmons on the bench, time to see if he can fulfil his potential.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

That is a pretty strong Cardiff side and what a surprise: no Manu.
Hopefully this means he will need to play v Bath to get match fitness.
We will need another excellent performance to get a win.
I too wonder what’s going on with young Kerr!!!
Surprised Ford is playing. Is Hardwick injured??
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Ian Cant wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:55 pm That is a pretty strong Cardiff side and what a surprise: no Manu.
Hopefully this means he will need to play v Bath to get match fitness.
Think we will lose Manu et al for England training camps for the Bath game. Same for the Bath England players but no agreement in place for Welsh players, so they wont lose Faletau
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Match fitness shouldn't be the big worry for Manu a month off isn't that big considering he has been playing/training form July. Doubt it will be of concern for Eddie unfortunately.
happywomble wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:24 pm
voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:15 pm What's happened to Jake Kerr? Seemed to be developing nicely last season but hardly seen in matchday squads so far this season? I thought they might rest Tom Youngs and start with TPN with Jake on the bench.
I agree, would have been nice to see Kerr.

Also, whats the fitness update on Liebenberg? I see Holmes is approaching return, which is very welcome, but would be good to have Liebenberg back for us as soon as possible!
February is the hope for Liebenberg
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

With Slade injured Manu will be in the England squad game time or not.
I would be very surprised if he traveled to Pau
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:54 pm Looking at that team I get the feeling that it’s a little underpowered. That’s what you get without Kalamafoni and Taufua starting.

Glad to see George at 10, there’s a big gulf between him and Hardwick/Reid. Also good to see Harry Simmons on the bench, time to see if he can fulfil his potential.
Gulf between England’s best 10 and his understudy’s now there’s a surprise

Not sure on the under powering either there’s some big lumps in that front 5 with both Batley and Heyes nudging 20 stone and Coghlan and Lewis both around 17 1/2 stone in the back row.
Plenty of pace in the back row too
Last edited by Mark62 on Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Underpowered and untried team. No idea what GM is playing at. Full strength side, this side goes to Pau after cementing top place while top players rest? Would've turned out best team as Cardiff are! Could be another mistake amongst many. :smt009 :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:13 pm Underpowered and untried team. No idea what GM is playing at. Full strength side, this side goes to Pau after cementing top place while top players rest? Would've turned out best team as Cardiff are! Could be another mistake amongst many. :smt009 :smt009
Utter rubbish. Front row have all played premiership together you’ve got England’s half backs with a 12 that Ford knows well and one of the best attacking fullbacks in the country.
As for under powered none of the front 5 are lightweights.
GM has picked what he believes will be the best side to do the job
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:13 pm Underpowered and untried team. No idea what GM is playing at. Full strength side, this side goes to Pau after cementing top place while top players rest? Would've turned out best team as Cardiff are! Could be another mistake amongst many. :smt009 :smt009
Joe Batley is definitely under powered after all his is only 6 ft 7 in and a mere 19st 7lb !!!! :smt017
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:52 pm
Joe Batley is definitely under powered after all his is only 6 ft 7 in and a mere 19st 7lb !!!! :smt017
Sorry should have said untested, or unevidenced, and definitely untried in places. We've had big players before who turn out to be underpowered - you see the difference with Tuafua and Lavanini. And my argument stands over a mistake - this could be defensively costly initially and the team melds. It may well be that the front row crumples Cardiff and we profit thereafter, but don't bet against our defence being shredded initially by good backs patterns - something we've seen before (e.g. Dragons some seasons ago).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:07 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:52 pm
Sorry should have said untested, or unevidenced, and definitely untried in places. We've had big players before who turn out to be underpowered - you see the difference with Tuafua and Lavanini. And my argument stands over a mistake - this could be defensively costly initially and the team melds. It may well be that the front row crumples Cardiff and we profit thereafter, but don't bet against our defence being shredded initially by good backs patterns - something we've seen before (e.g. Dragons some seasons ago).
Well we can debate it after the game because until then it’s a lot of ifs buts and maybes.
Four points, though I think we’ll get 5 will be enough to win the group in a competition a lot on here didn’t see the point in, and at the same time giving key players the last chance of some proper rest before the end of the regular season
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Securing top place for the next round before Pau away does make sense.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:19 pm
you’ve got England’s half backs
No Ben Youngs
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:20 pm Securing top place for the next round before Pau away does make sense.
Exactly.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Cardiff have named a good team but they lost last week to the Scarlets, Adams at 13 is a peculiar selection I imagine the Cardiff gameplan is to run around our defence, but I have confidence we can beat this side as a weaker side managed to do so in the reverse fixture. Can’t make the game unfortunately but I hope Batley puts in a good performance, I saw him walking down the terrace he looks like a big unit. As for our backrow it was more or less the one that beat Cardiff, mobile and Coghlan has proved that he is no mug.

Hopefully Clancy will officiate well enough, wasn’t he the ref for the home Racing fixture last year I remember him being quite poor?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni