Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ravens or Tigers

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Could this be us?

Might explain a bit of what’s been going on for a few years!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... ugby-union

Worth reading anyway just to see the level pro clubs go to to monitor & predict player performance.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ravens or Tigers

Post by MurphysLaw »

Could be Tigers, but given the two academics are from Bath Uni, and they interviewed a 'recently appointed Head Coach' (Hooper?), my guess would be that they stayed fairly local for their research.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

MurphysLaw wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:16 pm Could be Tigers, but given the two academics are from Bath Uni, and they interviewed a 'recently appointed Head Coach' (Hooper?), my guess would be that they stayed fairly local for their research.
Published research would have data collection 2 years ago or so, unless this was not a peer- reviewed paper. My reaction was Stains.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Fascinating read.

Particularly interesting is the part where it describes finding that these systems discouraged players from taking risks, which completely reflects what we see on the pitch. Perhaps this is part of the problem at Tigers? Complete speculation of course, but the idea of players doing something to protect their index or rating rather than because it's best for the team does fit with what I see.

E.g. player in trouble and isolated, team going backwards, behind the gain line, about to get smashed back in the tackle - offloads it to a teammate behind him who is then in exactly the same position but closer to his own line. The offload was completely wrong for the team because it makes the situation worse, but perhaps that first player knows that taking the tackle and being pushed backwards and possibly turned over will negatively impact his index?