Shazzam

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Shazzam

Post by PGD »

Whatever happens on Saturday (& with that 23, in other times I'd expect a bonus point win), it's nice to see Sam in the replacements for the last time.

Whatever the state of the game, I hope Geordie sends him on for at least the last ten minutes, so we can thank him. He's served the Tigers well.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Shazzam

Post by RichieB »

Here here! A standing ovation is called for methinks.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would give him 20-25 but apart from that absolutely agree.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

No time for sentiment....the result is more important and if Sam gets the opportunity so be it.....Sam has been a Leicester stalwart and will be given a good send off by the fans.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Playing off the bench isn't sentimental, sentimentality was when some posters on here said that he should start and be captain. The bloke is a modest guy so will accept it even if he gets just 5 minutes on the field.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:12 pm Playing off the bench isn't sentimental, sentimentality was when some posters on here said that he should start and be captain. The bloke is a modest guy so will accept it even if he gets just 5 minutes on the field.
Even if he doesn't play at all (should that be the right call to get the result) I'm sure the Welford Road faithful will give him that standing ovation post match.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Crofty wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:26 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:12 pm Playing off the bench isn't sentimental, sentimentality was when some posters on here said that he should start and be captain. The bloke is a modest guy so will accept it even if he gets just 5 minutes on the field.
Even if he doesn't play at all (should that be the right call to get the result) I'm sure the Welford Road faithful will give him that standing ovation post match.
I think he deserves an ovation when he comes on to the pitch (as surely he will) rather than at the end - particularly if it is after a hideous performance. Would give him a massive boost.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Great servant of our once great club.
Tigers’ farewell matches have rarely gone well so let’s hope Sam brings us some luck with a win.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Perhaps some of us think the present captain isn't exactly a massive success & our First Choice 9 hasn't really put in a performance justifying his salary for some considerable time.....
We will be poorer without Sam, like Matt Smith he bleeds Green, Red & White.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

We won't miss him because he's a "true tiger" or any other amateur-era sentimentality. We'll miss him because he's a consistently decent player who does a good job for the team.

Hard to understand how he's the True Tiger, whilst the Youngs brothers get constantly slated. Low expectations perhaps.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Come what may he will get an ovation and the send off he deserves.The guy is Tigers through and through - he'll know and understand should the match not merit an appearance - and he wouldn't have it any other way.
Thanks for everything Sam - all the effort through all the years.You'll always be welcome back ' home'.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:55 am We won't miss him because he's a "true tiger" or any other amateur-era sentimentality. We'll miss him because he's a consistently decent player who does a good job for the team.

Hard to understand how he's the True Tiger, whilst the Youngs brothers get constantly slated. Low expectations perhaps.
+1 :smt023
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Matt Smith is doing really good things with our academy and will hopefully become a senior member of our coaching staff. I’m not saying that because he’s an ex-player but having watched the RugbyPass documentary, been coached by him and seen the results of the academy in the last two seasons (he coached them last year whilst still playing) I think he is a senior coach in the making.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Nice that he got to run and hoof the ball out in the manner he did at the end.

Great service from Sam over the years, listening to Radio Leicester on way home caught an earlier interview with him - very self deprecating about his abilities, OK, no show stopper but a game winner on more than one occasion.

Good luck in Oz.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:25 am Matt Smith is doing really good things with our academy and will hopefully become a senior member of our coaching staff. I’m not saying that because he’s an ex-player but having watched the RugbyPass documentary, been coached by him and seen the results of the academy in the last two seasons (he coached them last year whilst still playing) I think he is a senior coach in the making.
I would like for him to follow Allen pathway a bit.
Head coach of the academy for 2 to 3 seasons.
Move to a championship side and get some more coaching experience at a senior level.
Maybe try and get him some experience down in the SH like we did Brett.
After that who knows maybe a stint at Georgia or Spain etc as a assistant coach for a season.

Before thinking about Tigers senior team