Ben Youngs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Ben Youngs

Post by Chobbsy »

Is it me or is his demeanour and lack of umph when playing seem similar to that of Matt Toomua's when he decided he was leaving?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Ben Youngs

Post by fentiger »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:39 am Is it me or is his demeanour and lack of umph when playing seem similar to that of Matt Toomua's when he decided he was leaving?
Could be, except it's been like for several seasons.....
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Until the pack start to show some umph then I wouldn't worry too much about Ben, and when they finally give him a decent platform to work from, I have no doubt he and all other SH's will show their umph! :smt023
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I love Ben Youngs but can't help but feel a change might be the best thing for both player and club. This is in no way a reflection on his abilities, just my opinion that he needs a change of scenery.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Last really good performance for Tigers was Munster away when we won there.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

If he box kicks no-one chases.
If he snipes close the breakdown no-one follows him so he can't offload and he gets isolated and turned over.
If he tries to pass to a forward, they are standing still and gets stopped behind the mainline.
He then has to run backwards to get to the breakdown and dig it out to pass to another stationary forward.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

DingDong wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:23 pm Until the pack start to show some umph then I wouldn't worry too much about Ben, and when they finally give him a decent platform to work from, I have no doubt he and all other SH's will show their umph! :smt023
He had a very good platform on Saturday,
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:39 am Is it me or is his demeanour and lack of umph when playing seem similar to that of Matt Toomua's when he decided he was leaving?
No. I think you’re seeing what you want to see and what you are suggesting is not quantifiable. It’s quite clear and regardless of form how much he and his brother love this club. That being said, all players have to perform so it’s also now up to Ben White and the others to put pressure on when they get their opportunities (which they have been getting and will continue to get with Sam having headed off to Oz) and I just haven’t seen that so far. I certainly don’t get the impression that it’s due to lack of trying, but as with your opinion that’s only mine.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

MCC1964 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 pm
No. I think you’re seeing what you want to see and what you are suggesting is not quantifiable. It’s quite clear and regardless of form how much he and his brother love this club. That being said, all players have to perform so it’s also now up to Ben White and the others to put pressure on when they get their opportunities (which they have been getting and will continue to get with Sam having headed off to Oz) and I just haven’t seen that so far. I certainly don’t get the impression that it’s due to lack of trying, but as with your opinion that’s only mine.
I am a big BY fans always have been, I think he is brilliant for England but I don't see that in a Tiger's shirt (anymore) I totally agree with your sentiment about him and Tom loving the club, but as we all know the life span of rugby player (in playing terms) is not very long, so I wouldn't blame him or be surprised if he was looking for a retirement package some where else.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Can’t understand people who say Ben plays poorly because he hasn’t got a platform. Faf de Clerk, Robson, Simpson et al all seem to be able to make breaks from broken play regardless of the platform they have.
In any case our scrum is probably the best in the premiership. Would much rather keep May and let Ben go and give White and Simmons a go :smt001
A2O
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

It's really sad that our 200+ cap little legend has become such a polarising figure. I can see the validity of arguments from both camps but myself I'm waiting until I see him play for a head coach with an actual plan before I make a judgement. Being the fulcrum in a rickety old see-saw can't be easy.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I don't think he has played too badly this season - seems to have reduced the tendency to tell the ref how to do his job rather than get the ball out.

Is the kicking aimless - I think that is more of a reflection that we don't have a chase plan for our kicks (from scrum half or fly half).

I think he is under more pressure from White this year (who was painfully slow to move the ball last season) which is a good thing.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

I don't think it helps that he tends to turn in better performances for England than he does for us, and that's not down to the presentation of the ball either - he's just sharper and seems to have less of a pickup, move three paces and then distribute for England than he does us.

Its almost as if hes playing the way the prem used to be pace-wise with the old ruck/scrum model than the new faster pack, wider distributed ways of today.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

If Ben Youngs does leave, I very much think it will be a case of you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone for many on here.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:42 pm If Ben Youngs does leave, I very much think it will be a case of you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone for many on here.
Because that has never happened before... :smt002
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere