Paul Gustard

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Paul Gustard

Post by chewbacca »

BengalTiger wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:29 pm The Quins early drive at our 5m lineout that turned over our ball was the most blatant miss of the afternoon, not a peep from the TMO either, driving through when the jumper is in the air in a penalty or always used to be, I wonder what the officials are doing sometimes (most of the time!)
What's the official title for what I used to know as a touch judge or as I prefer to call them a spectator?
I'm not cynical just experienced
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I agree Bengal that was at least a penalty and if they hadn’t infringed we would have scored.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

I really cannot understand why Paul Gustard and Steve Diamond are not cited for their serious accusations against the Referees as our Geordan was given a RFU ban last season for his comments on the Referee. :smt017
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Not too impressed with "Sir". The trouble is, any criticism is taken as bad manners and unworthy of them. (Like doctors)
They are only human and frequently make mistakes and miss things. They also have their favourites.
I still can't be doing with a feed to the back of second row's feet resulting in a try. Likewise, the calls to Ben, Johnny etc fill me with horror. Familiarity breeds contempt Where is Clive Norling when you need him?
A life long Tiger
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I don't have an issue with the Ref calling the players by their first names in much the same way a teacher might do to his class to make sure that the individual knows that he is the one being spoken to.

I would happily see more penalties given/reversed/10m back for anyone but the captain speaking to the ref without first being spoken to. (Other than to clarify where to take the penalty from and the like).
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

BFG wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:16 pm Like Murphy at Leicester I think Gustard inherited a mixed bag at Quins and has a lot to sort out.
A justifiable comparison.Last season and this however, I personally see our squad containing the better players with the greater potential.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

If the ref addresses players by name in a teacher manner, then it's fine but if in a buddy manner that is when it becomes annoying.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

kk20gb30 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:14 am
BFG wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:16 pm Like Murphy at Leicester I think Gustard inherited a mixed bag at Quins and has a lot to sort out.
A justifiable comparison.Last season and this however, I personally see our squad containing the better players with the greater potential.
My feelings too. We have the better players than many sides they need to know what is required on the pitch as a collective.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

wormus wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:42 pm I really cannot understand why Paul Gustard and Steve Diamond are not cited for their serious accusations against the Referees as our Geordan was given a RFU ban last season for his comments on the Referee. :smt017
Just to nip this one in the bud, Diamond has been punished for the same offence as Murphy, and that is to verbally 'abuse' a match official. Gustard has made objective criticism.

There is perfectly good protocol to give feedback direct to refs, acting like a yob is not one of them.

In May this year Murphy got his just rewards by being cited for "verbal abuse of a match official and failure to respect the authority of match officials for his behaviour after the final whistle". Since then Murphy has correctly been a lot more 'diplomatic' as has Dimes.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

wormus wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:42 pm I really cannot understand why Paul Gustard and Steve Diamond are not cited for their serious accusations against the Referees as our Geordan was given a RFU ban last season for his comments on the Referee. :smt017
Well, here's an answer to one of those conundrums!
https://www.planetrugby.com/steve-diamo ... er-doctor/
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

fentiger wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:53 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:14 am
My feelings too. We have the better players than many sides they need to know what is required on the pitch as a collective.
I wouldn't disagree.
Quins look a talented bunch as do Leicester.
Neither look quite as robust or as disciplined as Saracens and Exeter.
I think some of Leicester's signings are encouraging as they look to be quite robust but obviously time will tell on that and also if they can attain that level of playing discipline that the really good sides possess.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I would say our squad is significantly better than Quins which is why our being at the bottom of the league is bewildering. How can a side with so many talented players make such a woeful team?

Leadership on and off the field.

Over the last year we have seen some poor refereeing but none I would say were biased in the league but our lack of understanding how to adapt to how the ref is applying the laws is an example of lack of leadership on it.

I guess coaches will be lead by interviewers into criticising refs but in doing so I think they are wrong to make their feelings known in public. Do the report but do we really see anything as woeful as the scrum calls at the 2003 World Cup final.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

DingDong wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:25 amSince then Murphy has correctly been a lot more 'diplomatic' as has Dimes.
CORRECTION: Dimes just got fined again yesterday for misconduct against a match official - doh!