Tigers during the 6N

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Tigers during the 6N

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

It only seems like yesterday that our International players were away representing their country at the WC and it’s almost time to lose some of the England players, maybe all of them again to the 6N. Granted on current form we might not lose the same England contingent that went to the WC but assuming that we do, we will be short handed once again for the following games:

*potentially away training:

25 Jan 20 - Bath (A)

15 Feb 20 - Wasps (H)
21 Feb 20 - Sale (A)
29 Feb 20 - Worcester (H)
08 Mar 20 - Sarries (A)

*potentially rested post 6N:

21 Mar 20 - Exeter (A)

Can’t see us getting much away to Bath sadly and back to back away matches in Mar vs Sarries and Exeter is extremely tough. We might have the lads back for the Exeter game although they may be rested, let’s hope they are available.

That makes the Wasps, Sale and Worcester games must win matches (although given our current position you could argue they are all must win games!)

Injuries permitting, Squad wise I'm thinking:

1. Bateman
2. Youngs
3. Leatigaga
4. Lavanini
5. Spencer
6. Kalumafoni
7. Taufua
8. Liebenberg
9. White
10. Reid
11. Olowafela
12. Hardwick
13. Taute
14. Holmes
15. Veainu

16. TPN
17. Gigena
18. Heyes
19. Green
20. Thompson
21. Simmons
22. Thompstone
23. Worth

Cover

Reffell
Lewis
Coghlan
Viljoen
Wells
Eastmond

Thoughts?
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers during the 6N

Post by JP14 »

Holmes might be called up to Wales, but that will be unlikely thanks to the rise of certain Rees-Zammit.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Do we think Cole and Ben Youngs will feature for England ? I think I’d be looking at options to get Spencer, Robson etc in at 9 maybe.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

On current form I can’t see BY getting called as there are far better options at 9
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Disagree on getting anything at Bath, they've looked average this season. Better at home but they will lose a lot of their backline and backrow to England. Watson, Joseph, Cockanasiga and Underhill will all be certain call ups. Roko, Obano, Mercer and Ewels also possible call ups. Falatau if fit might be with Wales.

If we can do a number on them up front then in poor conditions we can keep the scoreboard ticking over and get at least a bonus point potentially more. We will have the majority of our pack (props aside) and enough experience in the backline. Hardwick has good range with his kicking as well.

Games Vs Sarries and Exeter will be hard to get anything but Wasps is a very winnable game as their right five is poor and they'll lose Launchbury and possibly Willis. That is a game we have to get something from.

I'd imagine all 6 of our internationals will be in the frame. Ben Youngs is always selected, Spencer and Robson in contention as well. Ford, May, Manu and Genge are certainties. Cole less certain but few younger options are really hitting their straps and if Sinckler's injury is bad Jones will want the reliability of Cole. Painter is playing well for Saints and looks to be the only real challenge to Cole as Eddie will no doubt select three props from each side for the EPS and you'd assume Harry Williams and Sinckler would be in the reckoning as well.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I certainly hope you’re right about Bath. They will be hit just as hard as us if not harder so might be a good time to play them. We haven’t had the best run in the league against them over the past few years that’s all:

Lost 31-32 (H)
Lost 23-16 (A)
Won 34-19 (A)
Lost 23-27 (H)
Lost 27-21 (A)

But that said we haven’t had the best results against anyone really so here’s hoping for a repeat of the 2018 visit to the Rec and not last year! I think if we have close to full fitness of those players listed above it’s a very win-able game given Bath’s potential international absentees.. fair point
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bath rather annoyingly have managed to recover, their big pack is scraping wins at home and they were impressive against London Irish next week. But last year we were very unlucky not to get the win away and I’m sure we will target a win at the Rec again.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Who we have available depends on whether Jones is targeting the 6N on a must win basis or whether he is looking to the future.

(I suspect 4 years out from the world cup he may well be purely focussed on the 6N with the aim of a grand slam so probably only minor tweaking and those that are made or enforced injury by retirements (none announced so far) will be on a match by match basis about who is the best available for the intended game plan on the day rather than who might be the best in the future plan.

He may well play Cole for the France game to help negate the French scrum and quite possibly on current form Genge ahead of Macko who might just have been sent away to sort his scrummaging. Sinckler may survive, but again he was given a torrid time by Genge on Saturday and that may play on Jone's mind.

Props may not win too many matches but the world cup showed, they can lose them.)

Liebenberg may well not be fit by the 6N so might be another area of concern.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

The England squad for the 6N will be announced on Monday 20th January
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Holmes called up oh dear
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:06 am Holmes called up oh dear
But we wont lose him for the bath game at least. The premiership has no agreement to release players for training before the Six nations. Also means Barf will keep Faletau.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:06 am Holmes called up oh dear
Assume it’s for the wider training squad, so if he’s fit and available for Barf then great, after 2 weeks before Wasps when he could be deemed surplus to requirements.
I would have thought their priority for the wing would be to young Rees Zammit capped
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

WillGriff John? That selection almost made me laugh 😂 but then again the continuous selection of Francis shows to me that Wales have always been rather backward in their selections at tighthead prop.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:56 am It only seems like yesterday that our International players were away representing their country at the WC and it’s almost time to lose some of the England players, maybe all of them again to the 6N. Granted on current form we might not lose the same England contingent that went to the WC but assuming that we do, we will be short handed once again for the following games:

*potentially away training:

25 Jan 20 - Bath (A)

15 Feb 20 - Wasps (H)
21 Feb 20 - Sale (A)
29 Feb 20 - Worcester (H)
08 Mar 20 - Sarries (A)

*potentially rested post 6N:

21 Mar 20 - Exeter (A)

Can’t see us getting much away to Bath sadly and back to back away matches in Mar vs Sarries and Exeter is extremely tough. We might have the lads back for the Exeter game although they may be rested, let’s hope they are available.

That makes the Wasps, Sale and Worcester games must win matches (although given our current position you could argue they are all must win games!)

Injuries permitting, Squad wise I'm thinking:

1. Bateman
2. Youngs
3. Leatigaga
4. Lavanini
5. Spencer
6. Kalumafoni
7. Taufua
8. Liebenberg
9. White
10. Reid
11. Olowafela
12. Hardwick
13. Taute
14. Holmes
15. Veainu

16. TPN
17. Gigena
18. Heyes
19. Green
20. Thompson
21. Simmons
22. Thompstone
23. Worth

Cover

Reffell
Lewis
Coghlan
Viljoen
Wells
Eastmond

Thoughts?
scratch Holmes from that squad now
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

The fixture list isn't too bad this year at least; one away game we'd probably lose even at full strength, two kind home fixtures and Sale who are good but not unbeatable. If we can beat Bath and carry our recent improved form into the league we might come out OK.