Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Bristol - 04th January 2020

Post by Spicer »

Wooohhhooo!! :smt026

That was far better, especially in the first half. Although we were helped a lot by Bristol having two yellow cards and Afoa getting injured.

That has brightened my day! Thanks Sam, we'll miss you!
CharlieTiger

Post by CharlieTiger »

:smt026 :smt007 Great result :smt051 :smt052
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:11 pm We scored 15 tries this Premiership season.
10 in the last 3 games.

7 points from Exeter, Harlequins (A) and Bristol

also last time we denied a team a point in the league
January 5th 2019 v Gloucester at home
Lots of positives to take from the last 3 games. Some huge individual performances and great team spirit shown to not only come back to draw away to Quins last week but also to weather the storm today after another terrible start to the second half! What goes on in our dressing room at HT I'll never know! It's just a shame it's all starting to come together as our Internationals are due to head off for the 6N!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:22 pm ...It's just a shame it's all starting to come together as our Internationals are due to head off for the 6N!
Personally, whilst it’s great to see our players representing various countries in tournaments such as 6N, I’m hoping Jones might leave some of our players alone, if only in recognition that some of them have played a lot of rugby, and bring on some new talent.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:22 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:11 pm We scored 15 tries this Premiership season.
10 in the last 3 games.

Lots of positives to take from the last 3 games. Some huge individual performances and great team spirit shown to not only come back to draw away to Quins last week but also to weather the storm today after another terrible start to the second half! What goes on in our dressing room at HT I'll never know! It's just a shame it's all starting to come together as our Internationals are due to head off for the 6N!
As a matter of interest how many players do people see us losing for the 6 nations.
I can see it possibly being just Ford, Tuilagi and May.
A lot will depend on planning for the future I.e. Spencer for Youngs and Williams for Cole, and whether or not Jones finally sees that Genge is better than Marler
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I'm hoping v Bath we get
Genge
Cole
Youngs
Ford
At least.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:27 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:22 pm ...It's just a shame it's all starting to come together as our Internationals are due to head off for the 6N!
Personally, whilst it’s great to see our players representing various countries in tournaments such as 6N, I’m hoping Jones might leave some of our players alone, if only in recognition that some of them have played a lot of rugby, and bring on some new talent.
Manu, cream crackered so I would hope so. Cole..... Maybe. Youngs...... Maybe. May, more doubtful. Ford...... No chance. Genge, ditto. He is the future.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Well the result is a welcome one, we survived the now seemingly obligatory implosion between minutes 40 and about 55/60 and it's against a Bears team up in the top 4, but we need to stop having that implosion if we're to build on it. Hopefully the up tick in confidence will carry on through the European fortnight and down the the wRec even in the absence of our 6N participants.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

10 in the last 3 games.

Much better indeed. However, if we average 7 points from every 3 matches for the rest of the season, that will still only give us 44 points - and that's if you round up! Just 3 points more than last season. Likely enough to avoid relegation, but hardly a huge improvement. Progress based on where we were 2 weeks ago, but not in the grand scheme of things.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I hope that Murphy takes a risk and starts Costelow v Pau.
Cardiff go full guns blazing nailed down 1st place potentially at home.
Pau try some players to replace the England players.

and for me Costelow is the most similar to Ford we have currently, and should be looked at.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:32 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:27 pm
Manu, cream crackered so I would hope so. Cole..... Maybe. Youngs...... Maybe. May, more doubtful. Ford...... No chance. Genge, ditto. He is the future.
May+Ford+Genge might be the limit, though Jones has stuck with Youngs even when his form hasn’t been that great. Not sure about Dan.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:34 pm
10 in the last 3 games.

Much better indeed. However, if we average 7 points from every 3 matches for the rest of the season, that will still only give us 44 points - and that's if you round up! Just 3 points more than last season. Likely enough to avoid relegation, but hardly a huge improvement. Progress based on where we were 2 weeks ago, but not in the grand scheme of things.
You can’t take averages though. I would suggest anyone that hasn’t seen it watches Fords excellent piece with LTTV where he says rightly so that the improvement is going to be by small steps every week and patience is required.
Improvement will come and with it results
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:38 pm I hope that Murphy takes a risk and starts Costelow v Pau.
Cardiff go full guns blazing nailed down 1st place potentially at home.
Pau try some players to replace the England players.

and for me Costelow is the most similar to Ford we have currently, and should be looked at.
I would possibly put the England men, if fit on the bench v Cardiff and bring them on if required. A bonus point win should be achievable with the likes of Bateman, Lady Gaga, White, Hardwick, Thompstone starting.
The game at Pau then becomes irrelevant
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Since Sarries seem to be 24-0 up already in their game, looks like the vital 5 points scored will maintain distance between us and them
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Means Tigers still stay 18 points ahead of them, but the top becomes more catchable.
It's a nice buffer but Saracens are not really the team we need to keep an eye on.

Harlequins, Worcester only 6 points off.
Bristol only 7 points off.
Bath Gloucester in a slog against each other.

Exeter and Saints play Irish and Wasps.
Here's hoping both those get nothing.