Tigers vs Bristol - 04th January 2020

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Bristol - 04th January 2020

Post by JP14 »

We have had a dominant scrum for 3 seasons now but for me yesterday was the first time we used the scrum to our advantage for more than just getting a penalty. Flankers were tied in to give an extra shove meant that it gave more time on the attack move, simple but brilliant. More of the same please.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:54 am Just seen highlights. Am liking that Veainu - May combination... :smt004
I like that back three combination. Owolfela coming into the line on those arcs really makes it difficult for defences to number up and to drift. That last try had three defenders bunching up onto him and that created the space for TV and May. Get Manu back into that midfield again and give Ford the chance to play flat and they'll be a lot of tries scored before the end of the season.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:43 am Better, but still concerns over the defence and the apparent switching off at times. Teams are getting in behind us far too easily. Still, 5 points and some hope.
You're spot on there, Bristol were allowed to run and outflank the Tigers defence all too often, making 20,30,40 yards or more all too easily. Sometimes this was after yet another poor pointless kick when Tigers were attacking, of which, again, there were too many. The result being that Tigers got turned over and found themselves a few phases later defending on their own 22 and in one case Bristol went pretty much the full length through midfield easily and one chip later scored a try.

I'm pleased for the win obviously but I do wonder how it would have played out if Bristol had kept 15 men on the field in the first half. Without Manu (on a good day) and Jonny May I don't see much Tigers attacking threat, which doesn't bode well in the 6N period.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

G.K wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:55 am
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:43 am Better, but still concerns over the defence and the apparent switching off at times. Teams are getting in behind us far too easily. Still, 5 points and some hope.
I'm pleased for the win obviously but I do wonder how it would have played out if Bristol had kept 15 men on the field in the first half. Without Manu (on a good day) and Jonny May I don't see much Tigers attacking threat, which doesn't bode well in the 6N period.
You can only play the team in front of you and if Bristol decide to make cheap/illegal hits on our players and slap the ball down when we had a decent overlap then they get punished accordingly. Saying 'I do wonder how it would have played out if Bristol had kept 15 men on the field in the first half' is like saying 'I wonder how we would have played with Manu in the side' or 'I wonder how the game would have gone if some of the calls by the officials went differently'. Ok, so we lost the second half 12-10 but apart from the 10 minute switch off we played well so it's a shame that people feel the need to tarnish what was undoubtedly our best performance of the season so far.

As mentioned by a previous poster I think the TV JO combo is starting to gel really nicely and yes, we will lose JM for the 6N which is a huge loss but hopefully these 2 will continue to show promise. KE and JT seem to be working together a bit better now and JH is expected to return 'early 2020' so should be in the mix to step in on the wing. He has shown great promise and is a top class finisher in his own right and I have every faith that the JH JO TV combo will be a great partnership. NR and TH have both shown promising signs too this season and while they aren't the same calibre as GF they are much better options at 10 than we have had previously.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

G.K wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:55 am You're spot on there, Bristol were allowed to run and outflank the Tigers defence all too often, making 20,30,40 yards or more all too easily. Sometimes this was after yet another poor pointless kick when Tigers were attacking, of which, again, there were too many. The result being that Tigers got turned over and found themselves a few phases later defending on their own 22
This is still a massive problem and has been endemic all season - most other teams seem to make yards from each play and we lose a lot of ground quickly which we've had to graft away at gaining (although to be fair, Bristol were forced to go side-to-side quite a bit yesterday)
G.K wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:55 am and in one case Bristol went pretty much the full length through midfield easily and one chip later scored a try.
Yes, obviously we would have still been pinned in our 22 and were only in that position from rank defending, but that try was from a very lucky bounce it could quite easily have ended up as our lineout on the 22! Ford tried it later in the game and Veainu was perfectly in place to collect (and more than likely score - only had the winger(?) to beat) were it not for a completely awful bounce that rolled straight on instead of sitting up
G.K wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:55 am I'm pleased for the win obviously but I do wonder how it would have played out if Bristol had kept 15 men on the field in the first half. Without Manu (on a good day) and Jonny May I don't see much Tigers attacking threat, which doesn't bode well in the 6N period.
There is a lot to work on but it is evident that a lot of progress has been made since the start of the season.

On the subject of ifs and buts... Massive shout out for Nathan Hughes - if he had not been playing, and the scrum actually officiated correctly (crooked feeds, early shoves, etc), we'd have had a penalty at pretty much every scrum. Some of his pick ups from the base when the scrum was crumbling were absolutely unreal
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Also thought Taute was a very good leader in defence, he led the drift defence, made some big tackles and overall kept the defensive structure. Something we’ve been lacking recently.

Eastmond also made some big hits and important turnovers. He also made sure we kept our depth in attack in the second receiver role. Sometimes Reid can stand too flat off second phase ball. Hopefully these two stay fit for the six nations period. With everyone fit I would like to see again Taute and Manu, think this is our best combination.

Also thought Olowofela was great, good link play with players around him and generally always a threat ball in hand. Some posters on here give him a hard time but he’s only 21 and could be dynamite in the future.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:36 am Also thought Olowofela was great, good link play with players around him and generally always a threat ball in hand. Some posters on here give him a hard time but he’s only 21 and could be dynamite in the future.
Worth remembering that one of the best wingers we have had, and also still holder of the top premiership tries scored record, was alway slated for his 'poor defence' even though his primary job was to score!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

fentiger wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:52 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:36 am Also thought Olowofela was great, good link play with players around him and generally always a threat ball in hand. Some posters on here give him a hard time but he’s only 21 and could be dynamite in the future.
Worth remembering that one of the best wingers we have had, and also still holder of the top premiership tries scored record, was alway slated for his 'poor defence' even though his primary job was to score!
Surely all players have their bits to work on.
To ignore them would be to ignore the opportunity to improve.
Given the ability that all sides possess nowadays indecision in defence can be very costly, just as someone with not so good handling can butcher a try.
The small steps that Ford mentioned can be the swing in a matches.
Even small margins such as one more try for and one try less against, and then you're beating sides like Bristol 38-11.
One more scored and one less conceded against Exeter and the swing is a 29-24 win.
One more for and one less conceded is a 37-23 away win against Quins.
Then maybe the side is closer during international periods and picking up points here and there instead of getting thumped all of the time.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

BFG wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:41 pm
fentiger wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:52 am
Surely all players have their bits to work on.
To ignore them would be to ignore the opportunity to improve.
Given the ability that all sides possess nowadays indecision in defence can be very costly, just as someone with not so good handling can butcher a try.
The small steps that Ford mentioned can be the swing in a matches.
Even small margins such as one more try for and one try less against, and then you're beating sides like Bristol 38-11.
One more scored and one less conceded against Exeter and the swing is a 29-24 win.
One more for and one less conceded is a 37-23 away win against Quins.
Then maybe the side is closer during international periods and picking up points here and there instead of getting thumped all of the time.
I'm not suggesting he shouldn't work on it! Just that sometimes other qualities help balance the books! :smt023
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

From what I could see another issue with their 2nd try was that Genge was stationed in the back field ready to run their kick back. Once the ball bounced, as only rugby balls can, he was like a fish out of water, where another back or back rower May have dealt with the situation better
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:54 am Just seen highlights. Am liking that Veainu - May combination... :smt004
+ me

With OLOWEFELA who is developing. :smt023
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

For me Bristol played on the edge of legality at times.JPD allowed the game to flow rightly or wrongly. So at times they got away with it -At times there were sanctioned. They need to cut out their indiscipline.

Likewise Harlequeens self destructed through ill discipline.

On the whole we have attempted to cut the ill discipline fromour game. Errors of judgement will always be part of the game.
Refs need to recognise the teams attempting to play fair.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

wellstiger wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:14 pm For me Bristol played on the edge of legality at times.JPD allowed the game to flow rightly or wrongly. So at times they got away with it -At times there were sanctioned. They need to cut out their indiscipline.

Likewise Harlequeens self destructed through ill discipline.

On the whole we have attempted to cut the ill discipline fromour game. Errors of judgement will always be part of the game.
Refs need to recognise the teams attempting to play fair.
Playing devil's advocate I would argue that all teams play on the edge of legality it's just some seem to get away with it. For me it is the lack of consistency amongst officials that I find frustrating. Exeter consistently running blocking lines and getting away with it and we do it once and get pinged. Week in week out we see lineouts consistently not straight and usually it's ours that gets penalised. How many times have we seen Lavanini still in the air when attempting to set up a maul at the lineout with the opposition driving straight through yet nothing is given. Randall blatantly fed every single scrum yesterday yet nothing was given. Runners ahead of the kicker at the restarts but once again nothing.. the list goes on!

The referees sadly aren't going to change and therefore it's up to us to be better at adapting to their style and interpretation of the laws. Teams like Exeter and Sarries have mastered this and we must too.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:05 pm From what I could see another issue with their 2nd try was that Genge was stationed in the back field ready to run their kick back. Once the ball bounced, as only rugby balls can, he was like a fish out of water, where another back or back rower May have dealt with the situation better
There was only one problem with their second try and that was that a forward (I think Kalamafoni) comes sprinting out of the line to try and take man and ball. He misses and then leaves Youngs and Cole covering some 10 odd metres Vs a quick back. He picks them off and punts downfield. Lucky bounce and it's a try. Keep the defensive discipline and he never makes it near the 22 and Bristol kick long for us to return.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:25 am
voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:13 am
tigerssteve wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:53 am

What is this second half hoodoo? Are we not really fit enough and take some time to wind up again? Whatever it is, it isn't good enough. While I'm here could someone explain something to me. On looking at the table, I noticed we have something called BP. I don't recall that phenomenon, it's significance has been lost in me but I assume it's a good thing!?
Steve, Re BP. It stands for bonus points. A team scoring 4 tries or more receives a try bonus point irrespective of whether they win or lose. If a team loses but finishes the game within 7 points of the winning team they receive a losing bonus point. Therefore it is possible to lose yet still achieve a 2 point return if you fulfil these criteria.
I was sensing a tongue-in-cheek rhetorical question there about our lack of BPs thus far this season...
Well spotted! Tongue firmly in cheek! Some of my best material gets wasted.