Tigers vs Bristol - 04th January 2020

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Bristol - 04th January 2020

Post by BFG »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:32 pm Highlights available.. some cracking tries today...

https://sport.bt.com/video/highlights-l ... 4422677587
I didn't see the high tackle on Veainu clearly at the time but on seeing it for me it is a red card.
It's about time that talent like Veainu (suffered enough facial injuries already) were properly protected from reckless actions from lesser players, do it right or don't do it at all!
Enjoyed seeing Genge score.
Nice finishing from May, pay him his worth or someone else will and benefit!
Olowofela has much to learn about defending but has a lovely attacking arc with pace that panics defenders.
Agree with earlier comments on questionable Bristol tactics around the breakdown and their hooker kept taking a step their way just before the throw in, never in line!
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

BFG wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:44 pm
I didn't see the high tackle on Veainu clearly at the time but on seeing it for me it is a red card.
It's about time that talent like Veainu (suffered enough facial injuries already) were properly protected from reckless actions from lesser players, do it right or don't do it at all!
Enjoyed seeing Genge score.
Nice finishing from May, pay him his worth or someone else will and benefit!
Olowofela has much to learn about defending but has a lovely attacking arc with pace that panics defenders.
Agree with earlier comments on questionable Bristol tactics around the breakdown and their hooker kept taking a step their way just before the throw in, never in line!
I was actually impressed by Olowofela’s defence: there were several occasions when they had an overlap and he backed off, allowing the cover the come across.

We’ve got to offer May a contract extension. He is absolutely class and consistently performs at a 7/10 or above - those are the sorts of players we should be investing in.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:05 pm
norfolkexpat wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:35 pm Sitting in the Crumbie N today,there were a large number howlers from Doyle..at least 5 obviously forward passes byBristol, Randall was literally feeding the ball into their back row at scrum time , and as for the lineout, not one was straight from their No 2.... are there new rules being administered to keep the game flowing.???
Tend to agree on this point and overall view .Genuinely do not go with criticism the ref unduly , but this was not one of J.P.'s better days.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

A great game. Best I have attend for quite a while...I hope this means we have turned a corner.
Not the usual big effort from a tiring scrum but a great attacking game from the backs as well.
Plenty of open play from both sides with Bristol played their part too.
The thought of our key players shortly being away for 5 weeks angers me.
A life long Tiger
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Have to agree with everyone who has said it is only one win in the prem but I do think it showed we are going in the right direction. GM's job is probably safe for now but still hope to see Borthwick at WR in the very near future. Regarding JP, don't think he had a good one but some of the blame has to be carried by the other 3 - I will be amazed if the hit on Veainu is not referred by the citings officer - IMHO a clear red - shoulder to head, no wrap or lowering and done with force.
Yes, there were certainly some missed forward passes but on 2 occasions directly in front of me (the only one I will comment on - the lady behind me has 200% round the corner vision and yells "It was clearly forward" to almost every pass made by the opposition) JP line of sight was clearly blocked by several players - poor positioning I agree - but the touch judges didn't help him at all
Regarding the not straight line out problem (if it is a problem). Immediate free kick against any hooker who is not standing where the touch judge is indicating would make it much easier to judge as many throws are at 90 degrees but straight down their own line because the hooker steps a yard towards his own side.
Hehehehehehehehe
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Having missed the game, I'm sad to say, I've only got the highlights to go on and with only one commentator and no summarisers to debate with (along with the clipped elements of the highlights) it looks a horrendous attempt at a 'tackle'. How sir and the tmo failed to send the Bristol player off is absolutely beyond me.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

A much needed win and some excellent performances.

BUT we should not lose sight of the fact Tigers are still in the relegation zone and will need to back that performance up in subsequent premiership matches.

The two yellow cards had a significant impact on the result, both were fully deserved and the first possibly should have been red. It was great to see Tigers take full advantage of the situation. The implosion at the start of the second half was as disappointing as it was predictable, this happens with such regularity that it needs to be addressed. Whilst the defence was superb at times, there are still individual players missing 5-6 first up tackles per match.

Jonny May continues to impress, not only with his try scoring but also with his defence and work-rate.
Boris has done a fabulous job with the scrum, it provides a stable platform to launch attacks and is a potent weapon in its own right. It can also be relied upon to provide a solid platform for escape in defensive situations. The line out still needs work both in attack and defence.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

G.K wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:57 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:20 pm
G.K wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:11 pm Well better than many games I've seen. So far so good, now can they play well for two halves on the same day?
I do wonder what happens at half time...
I noticed Bristol were cheating right through the second half, they had 15 men on the pitch the whole time but despite that Tigers managed to sneak a win near the end. However apart from that Tigers were woeful, they need to change the supplier for the half time drinks otherwise there won't be very many wins at WR this season.
What is this second half hoodoo? Are we not really fit enough and take some time to wind up again? Whatever it is, it isn't good enough. While I'm here could someone explain something to me. On looking at the table, I noticed we have something called BP. I don't recall that phenomenon, it's significance has been lost in me but I assume it's a good thing!?
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

tigerssteve wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:53 am
markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:20 pm
I do wonder what happens at half time...
I noticed Bristol were cheating right through the second half, they had 15 men on the pitch the whole time but despite that Tigers managed to sneak a win near the end. However apart from that Tigers were woeful, they need to change the supplier for the half time drinks otherwise there won't be very many wins at WR this season.
What is this second half hoodoo? Are we not really fit enough and take some time to wind up again? Whatever it is, it isn't good enough. While I'm here could someone explain something to me. On looking at the table, I noticed we have something called BP. I don't recall that phenomenon, it's significance has been lost in me but I assume it's a good thing!?
Steve, Re BP. It stands for bonus points. A team scoring 4 tries or more receives a try bonus point irrespective of whether they win or lose. If a team loses but finishes the game within 7 points of the winning team they receive a losing bonus point. Therefore it is possible to lose yet still achieve a 2 point return if you fulfil these criteria.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:13 am
tigerssteve wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:53 am

Steve, Re BP. It stands for bonus points. A team scoring 4 tries or more receives a try bonus point irrespective of whether they win or lose. If a team loses but finishes the game within 7 points of the winning team they receive a losing bonus point. Therefore it is possible to lose yet still achieve a 2 point return if you fulfil these criteria.
I was sensing a tongue-in-cheek rhetorical question there about our lack of BPs thus far this season...
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I think the deciding factor on the yellow/red card debate was the fact Veianu was falling into contact. It certainly looks worthy of a red but this factor often reduces the sanction.

While player welfare and safety has to come first, with hindsight it was perhaps good that he didn’t see red. Comprehensively beating a stable, well coached team like Bristol that sit far higher than us in the table is no easy task and had we played the majority of the game against 14, the critics would cite this as the reason for our victory. Yes the yellow cards affected the result to some extent but playing 15 a side for the entire second half and still coming away with the spoils perhaps gives us more satisfaction than beating a team who are playing a large part of the match a man down. Hopefully it will keep the neigh-sayers quiet for a while if nothing else.
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Better, but still concerns over the defence and the apparent switching off at times. Teams are getting in behind us far too easily. Still, 5 points and some hope.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

tigerssteve wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:53 am While I'm here could someone explain something to me. On looking at the table, I noticed we have something called BP. I don't recall that phenomenon, it's significance has been lost in me but I assume it's a good thing!?
They have been so rare, I was beginning to think BP must mean Boson Particle. The secret of getting one must be to accelerate Jonny May up to quantum speed.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

The Guardian reports five tries scored by Tigers yesterday... :smt017
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... tch-report
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »