Tigers vs Bristol - 04th January 2020

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Bristol - 04th January 2020

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Highlights available.. some cracking tries today...

https://sport.bt.com/video/highlights-l ... 4422677587
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:29 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:56 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:17 pm So we are 7 points behind 5th.
And IMO none of those clubs have shown much in terms of stable form.
Trouble is neither have we when you look at it.

But IF (It's a big IF) we can build on this I think all those clubs are very much targets.
I like your optimism, but after 1 win you're pointing at other clubs and saying that they haven't had stable form.

It's another very close season, other than a couple of teams. There will be plenty more ups and downs for most clubs over the next five months. No one other than Chiefs or Sarries are in danger of going on a 5/6 match winning streak, but every club apart from Chiefs and Sarries are in danger of losing 3/4 on the bounce at some point in the season.

I'd say that any of the clubs placed 5th-11th could go down, and pretty much any of those same 7 clubs could sneak 4th place.

I wouldn't be shocked if Tigers got 4th place after today, but I also wouldn't be shocked if they finished bottom. It's that close.
?
What does our win have to do about others form?
I even said Neither do we.

merely pointing out if we can find some stability in performances those clubs don't exactly look comfortable either currently.
Well then we're agreeing with each other, aren't we?

Form is relative, so if Tigers have won 1 from the last 3 and Bath (in 6th) have won 2 in the last 3, then their form by comparison is pretty stable.

Yes, "if we can find some stability in performances those clubs don't look comfortable either". But we've now won one game in a row so it is a very big "if". As I explained, the league is as competitive as ever so very few teams have particularly "stable" form - if any team goes on a good run they will climb up the table. Stating the obvious, no?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Some people are never happy unless they are negative
A2O
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Looking at the past 10 games all competitions we have W6 D1 L3. Even just looking at the GP we are W2 D1 L3 in last 6 matches. Far from stable but moving in the right direction after a shaky start and I would say far less of a crisis now than a few weeks ago. It will all come down to how the squad can perform during the 6N period. Just as we are getting some stability we lose a handful of players.

Time will tell, but I feel far more confident this evening than I did yesterday evening so perhaps greener pastures are on the horizon...
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:57 pm Some people are never happy unless they are negative
Negative/positive, you can describe me however you see it. I prefer "balanced".

I can see the positives:
-Performances and results have improved (very big positive).
-Bristol and Irish are in freefall and Worcester have been thumped in 2 of their last 3 games.
-Irish will likely lose their next 3/4 matches, confidence could drop and leave them stranded at the foot of the table.
-This seasons new signings have been very good, with Taufua in particular being exceptional in my view.
-We finally look like a team that could win 2 or 3 games in a row.
-Our 6N team, fitness permitting, should be much stronger than during WC, with Taute, Lavanini, Taufua and Veainu.
-Based on all of the above, it looks unlikely we'll be relegated.
-We have an opportunity to put a home run together.
-Ford and Genge have signed new contracts.
-We have some promising youngsters, who will only get better, although it is yet to be seen quite how good they might be.
-It's a very close table and it should be a really exciting 5 months in the Premiership, I'm looking forward to watching it unfold.
-We will probably get to watch playoffs without Sarries in them.

I can also see the negatives:
-Even in the last 3 matches there have been periods of implosion where we have either thrown it away or looked likely to.
-Wasps, Irish and Worcester will lose fewer players than us to the 6N.
-We have to play both Wasps and Worcester during 6N, as well as Sale away which could be a very bad day.
-We still have Chiefs and Sarries away to come, even if they have 6N players missing, still a huge challenge to get any match points.
-Although other teams from 3rd (or even 2nd) down look likely to lose games, most of them are also capable of putting in very good performances.
-Even a decent showing in the next 14 games will probably leave us in a similar finishing position or points total as the end of last season, and even if we win most of our home games we could still end up around 10 in the table.
-We will quite probably lose May, and perhaps B Youngs too, at the end of the season - both will need replacing.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:50 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:43 pm Wells was my man of the match today, dominant tackler, two charge-downs and did his bit around the rucks.
and there were people slating his selection at 6 before the game.... (myself included)... fair play to the coaches for the team selection today. Got it spot on it seems

:smt023
Agreed. And it’s good to see some humble pie being eaten for a change. And fair play to you for doing so.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

MCC1964 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:20 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:50 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:43 pm Wells was my man of the match today, dominant tackler, two charge-downs and did his bit around the rucks.
and there were people slating his selection at 6 before the game.... (myself included)... fair play to the coaches for the team selection today. Got it spot on it seems

Agreed. And it’s good to see some humble pie being eaten for a change. And fair play to you for doing so.
I'll have a slice of that pie.

I called it bizarre. But it worked. I'm pleased to be shown that Geordan Murphy knows more about rugby and the respective qualities of the Tigers squad than I do!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:18 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:57 pm Some people are never happy unless they are negative

I can see the positives:
-Bristol and Irish are in freefall and Worcester have been thumped in 2 of their last 3 games.
-Irish will likely lose their next 3/4 matches, confidence could drop and leave them stranded at the foot of the table.
-This seasons new signings have been very good, with Taufua in particular being exceptional in my view.
-Our 6N team, fitness permitting, should be much stronger than during WC, with Taute, Lavanini, Taufua and Veainu.
-We have some promising youngsters, who will only get better, although it is yet to be seen quite how good they might be.
-It's a very close table and it should be a really exciting 5 months in the Premiership, I'm looking forward to watching it unfold.

-Even in the last 3 matches there have been periods of implosion where we have either thrown it away or looked likely to.
-We have to play both Wasps and Worcester during 6N, as well as Sale away which could be a very bad day.
-We still have Chiefs and Sarries away to come, even if they have 6N players missing, still a huge challenge to get any match points.
-Although other teams from 3rd (or even 2nd) down look likely to lose games, most of them are also capable of putting in very good performances.
-Even a decent showing in the next 14 games will probably leave us in a similar finishing position or points total as the end of last season, and even if we win most of our home games we could still end up around 10 in the table.
-We will quite probably lose May, and perhaps B Youngs too, at the end of the season - both will need replacing.
Good, well-balanced and realistic summary of our current situation. Nicely summed up imho.

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I can see the positives:

Fair play to you agree with all of that :smt002
A2O
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

G.K wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:57 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:20 pm
G.K wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:11 pm Well better than many games I've seen. So far so good, now can they play well for two halves on the same day?
I do wonder what happens at half time...
I noticed Bristol were cheating right through the second half, they had 15 men on the pitch the whole time but despite that Tigers managed to sneak a win near the end. However apart from that Tigers were woeful, they need to change the supplier for the half time drinks otherwise there won't be very many wins at WR this season.
In fairness, I suspect ay2oh was referring to this post... :smt015
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:24 pm

I can see the positives:

Good, well-balanced and realistic summary of our current situation. Nicely summed up imho.

I also agree with the above, but I think Tiglons earlier quote...."we have now won one game in a row" sums it up perfectly and simply. Onwards and upwards.
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Sitting in the Crumbie N today,there were a large number howlers from Doyle..at least 5 obviously forward passes byBristol, Randall was literally feeding the ball into their back row at scrum time , and as for the lineout, not one was straight from their No 2.... are there new rules being administered to keep the game flowing.???
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

norfolkexpat wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:35 pm Sitting in the Crumbie N today,there were a large number howlers from Doyle..at least 5 obviously forward passes byBristol, Randall was literally feeding the ball into their back row at scrum time , and as for the lineout, not one was straight from their No 2.... are there new rules being administered to keep the game flowing.???
Be careful. After the happy clapper and the doom monger comes the trafitionalst. AKA the grumpy old man!

I agree with your opinions on the laws.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Can’t comment on today’s officials as I wasn’t there; however, it is very frustrating that there seems to be no consistency with certain rules of the game. Not straight lineouts, feeding the scrum and players ahead of the kicker at the restart seem to be rules that rarely get implemented properly.

I’m all for a free flowing game and nobody likes a whistle-happy referee, but I think we all want consistency and parity as the minimum requirement.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think with a lot of laws the ref will only whistle it if he feels it affected the game.

E.g. If the lineout isn't thrown in straight, he'll only call it if the opposition challenges for the ball. If they don't compete, and the throw in is not wildly out of line then the decision is to let play go on as it made no difference. Likewise with attacking players sealing off or going straight over the top and to ground at a ruck - if the defensive side haven't tried to challenge for the ball the ref won't penalise it because it made no difference.

Scrums are what they are now, the feed has been the same for years I think we just have to accept it.

With the forward passes I get the impression that a lot of referees will spot it but let play go on unless it's really blatant, knowing that they can check it with TMO if the move ends in a try. If the move doesn't end in a try, then generally people forget about it.