Fifteen Games To Go

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Fifteen Games To Go

Post by Traveller »

Tigers can earn a maximum 75 points if we win all remaining 15 games with bonus points. I don't think we will pick up points away to Saracens or Exeter, which leaves us 65.

Newcastle were relegated on 31. Using Newcastle as a benchmark and the fact we currently have 4 points. I'm interested to know where / how we will pick up 28 points from the 15 games remaining. It will require a win every other game (+/-) yet we have only won three of the last sixteen premiership games. What will change to enable us to pick up those points and against what teams will we pick them up.

Obviously if we enter the NY not having beaten Quins and Bristol that will be 28/55, and then we will be without our 6N players whilst Wasps, Worcester and Sale will not be as hard hit. Answers on a postcard.
Tigerbeat

Re: Fifteen Games To Go

Post by Tigerbeat »

Which game are we not bothering with? Make it that there are 22 games in the league and we have only played 6 rounds! :smt003
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

We only scored 4 tries or more in the league 6 times last season and we lost 2 of those games, so I wouldn't bank on too many 5 pointers (unless I've miscounted, very real possibility, the Christmas cheer has been flowing all week). We'll be OK though I still think, Wasps are just as bad and Irish looked blown out after a few injuries this weekend.
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

Don't write off Dai Young, he's been round the block, and Tigers have basically got to win two more games than the exiles just to draw level with them, and three more than Bath and Worcester to get in front of them. There's going to be no "gimme's", and points are going to be hard to come by. As the season progresses, it's going to get harder. Most people on here know what needs to be done, but those with the power to do it, seem to be just sitting there with brains in neutral. Time is passing, running out even.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Interesting thread.

I’m afraid that the mince pies have got to CitizenSmiff - too much expectation, and a blurred sense of reality (too much cream on those pies?).

Coleshillad is blunt and right. More whisky needed.
Valhalla I am coming!
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

The great American Football coach Bill Walsh lead the 49ers on the basis of ‘standard performance levels’. His logic being that if every aspect of the franchise was excellent, winning would look after itself. From receptionist, to groundsman, the sale of food and drinks, toilet cleanliness, team strips, stadium decor, the coaching etc. He also had a template for what excellent looked like in all of these aspects of the franchise.

At the end of his first season he had an identical losing record to the team he had inherited the year before, but when he analysed the seasons results, he could see improvements. The losses were closer, and were against the top teams. What is more the people in the franchise saw themselves differently.

In 2017-2018 Tigers finished 5th with a W13 L9 record. In 2018-2019 the Board appointed a new Head Coach. Tigers finished 11th with a W7 L15 record. This season they are P6 W1 L5.

I’d honestly be interested to hear from someone at the club on this forum how they believe things have improved since 2017-2018. In what areas of the club is the standard level of performance excellent. Catering? Coaching? Playing equipment. Performance? Governance? Public relations? The ticket office.

Walsh was also obsessive about contingency planning, leaving absolutely nothing to chance. Cold weather / flooding / communications difficulties between players and coaches etc.

If Tigers lose their next two games. I’d be interested to know if the Board have any contingency plan or are they fully signed up members of the 'it'll be alright on the night' school of management.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Yeah, we're getting relegated.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Traveller wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:02 pm The great American Football coach Bill Walsh lead the 49ers on the basis of ‘standard performance levels’. His logic being that if every aspect of the franchise was excellent, winning would look after itself. From receptionist, to groundsman, the sale of food and drinks, toilet cleanliness, team strips, stadium decor, the coaching etc. He also had a template for what excellent looked like in all of these aspects of the franchise.

At the end of his first season he had an identical losing record to the team he had inherited the year before, but when he analysed the seasons results, he could see improvements. The losses were closer, and were against the top teams. What is more the people in the franchise saw themselves differently.

In 2017-2018 Tigers finished 5th with a W13 L9 record. In 2018-2019 the Board appointed a new Head Coach. Tigers finished 11th with a W7 L15 record. This season they are P6 W1 L5.

I’d honestly be interested to hear from someone at the club on this forum how they believe things have improved since 2017-2018. In what areas of the club is the standard level of performance excellent. Catering? Coaching? Playing equipment. Performance? Governance? Public relations? The ticket office.

Walsh was also obsessive about contingency planning, leaving absolutely nothing to chance. Cold weather / flooding / communications difficulties between players and coaches etc.

If Tigers lose their next two games. I’d be interested to know if the Board have any contingency plan or are they fully signed up members of the 'it'll be alright on the night' school of management.
Traveller, why don't you email the club directly if you are looking for a response?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:18 pm
Traveller wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:02 pm The great American Football coach Bill Walsh lead the 49ers on the basis of ‘standard performance levels’. His logic being that if every aspect of the franchise was excellent, winning would look after itself. From receptionist, to groundsman, the sale of food and drinks, toilet cleanliness, team strips, stadium decor, the coaching etc. He also had a template for what excellent looked like in all of these aspects of the franchise.

Traveller, why don't you email the club directly if you are looking for a response?
I tried for a couple of years. No reply. Eventually had some email contact with Simon Cohen. He told me he was doing a great job. I didn't know what I was talking. Should stop being negative. Everything was going to be fine. If I didn't like it go support another club. Cheeky really considering I've been supporting Tigers longer than he has been alive, and a lot longer than his salaried involvement with my club.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Obviously a paraphrase of Cohen’s comments but if close to the truth, quite frankly shocking comments/insinuations. We might disagree on some things Traveller but you argue your points well and you’re no doomonger or take pleasure out of the club’s situation and a true supporter.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Traveller wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:34 pm

I tried for a couple of years. No reply. Eventually had some email contact with Simon Cohen. He told me he was doing a great job. I didn't know what I was talking. Should stop being negative. Everything was going to be fine. If I didn't like it go support another club. Cheeky really considering I've been supporting Tigers longer than he has been alive, and a lot longer than his salaried involvement with my club.
Should this be accurate , and there is no reason to doubt it, I find it deeply disturbing...........
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

kk20gb30 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:07 pm
Traveller wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:34 pm
Should this be accurate , and there is no reason to doubt it, I find it deeply disturbing...........
It was prompted by the transfer of Betham. He told me that he had done a pretty good job in the past. Ayerza and co. At first I was pretty amazed but since then I have seen what has happened to the club and it is entirely predictable given that attitude. Entirely self-referential.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

There are 16 Prem games to go, last year we got approx 27 league points from our last 16 games. So far we have scored a measly 88pts compared to Wasps 134, Irish 122 and Woos 102. Our defence is average but ok but we have zero TBP/LBP so far this season.

Wasps showed last night they have a realistic potential to climb the table, as do Woos and Bath, so let’s hope the Irish start to falter otherwise the real prospect of relegation is going to happen.

One win against an equally poor Gloucester side and a good 60 mins against a weakened Chiefs side (which we lost) is not enough to give me confidence we’ll avoid relegation. 80 mins of solid rugby today, win or lose certainly will, then repeat it again against Bears, Bath, Wasps, Sharks and Woos, will hopefully stop Sarries overtaking us early Feb!
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Merry Christmas. Not been on here for a long time. We had our daughter in May 2018 so I’ve only been to 2 Tigers home games since, although I’ve been watching on TV.

The Bill Walsh stuff is interesting. I follow American Football and he is a very respected coach. The principles make slot of sense.

For me Cohen has to go, but who is going to tell him that. To me he is looking deluded. We had the misfortune of going to the Castres debacle a few years back when we threw the B team (and us travelling fans!) under the bus! The club did a lunch for us a few weeks later in effect to say ‘sorry’. Nice touch but the Q+A that followed was a disgrace. You’d think Cohen was heading up a team top of the league. A member of the audience asked why no youngsters are coming through from the academy and Cohen cocky response was as outrageous as it was arrogant.

For me it is about the reality of the situation. We have been in decline since 2013. We were fortunate not to go down last season. This year we are on the brink. Wasps did a job last night. Are we capable of that? The next 2 games are pivotal and we need absolute minimum of 6 points IMO. Don’t forget 6N is around the corner with the 10 pointer v Wasps without our internationals.

I’d like to see Cohen go now. And I’d add Murphy too if we don’t take 6 points from the next 2 games. Brutal? But these are brutal times. We need a Walsh-like character to come in and conduct a root and branch review of our club. Maybe that will start with Championship rugby. And that might not be a bad thing. We just can’t keep the same people steering us further into oblivion and irrelevance.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I have no idea what Mr Cohen's KPIs are but clearly they don't include the performance of the team and consequently the protection of the value of the brand.
I'm not cynical just experienced