Fifteen Games To Go

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Fifteen Games To Go

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Wasps play Saints (H) and Wuss (A) next so I can't see them picking up more than a point on current form, so there's a decent chance we can go into the 6N not last. What happens then with our largely mediocre second string is anybodys guess.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Coleshillad wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:38 am
mol2 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:18 am
Coleshillad wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:12 am This weekend, we've scored one point more than Sarries. A positive result.
Do you think we are battling relegation with Sarries? It would be a lovely thought that they were relegated but come the middle of Feb they will likely have overhauled us. They got a bonus point from an away match at Exeter. Exeter seconds thumped us at home. The gulf between them and us is huge and I just don't see them in the relegation battle. The only concerns for them is whether or not they can get enough points to get into the top tier European competition and in order to do that will it compromise their European ambitions this season.

Our battle will likely be with Irish or Wasps unless Worcester get drawn into it.
My comment was meant to be very much tongue in cheek, and Saracens will undoubtedly overhaul Tigers and pull away. What happened yesterday was just a hiccough and unlikely to be repeated. As for a relegation battle, we need to win three more games than those half a dozen teams above us, just to get into a position to battle it out. As for Wasps. Dai Young has been around the block and although they may be in contention for relegation, I wouldn't put money on it. Unless there is a dramatic improvement in performances, Tigers will remain at the foot of the table on their own. We have seen an improvement in performances, but it's points that's needed.
And whilst our performances are, indeed, improving, Irish and Bristol have declined while both Glos and Bath remain enigmas. In my opinion it is far from black and white.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Two weeks ago, I predicated (not as a clever dick but to try to work out in my own mind because I am very nerdy on this stuff, what things might reasonably look like) after eight games, regarding the various relegation candidates. It looked as follows) 18 Worcester, 18 Harlequins, 13 Bath, 06 Wasps, 06 Tigers, -5 Saracens.

After 7 games it's: 17 Worcester, 17 Harlequins, 17 Bath, 11 Wasps, 06 Tigers, -12 Saracens. I've invited London Irish 12 along to to the party because it seemed rude not to.

If ever there was a 'must win game' then next weekend seems to have a. couple of them. It’s difficult seeing Irish get anything from Exeter. But Tigers v Bristol / Wasps v Saints are key games for Tigers. Wasps lose to Saints and Tigers beat Bristol - game on. Wasps beat Saints, Tigers lose to Bristol. Things really do look sticky. A return of 2/3 points from a possible 15 over Xmas / NY with a fully loaded team? 7/15 would constitute something of a turning of the ship given the first half against Exeter. Fingers crossed. February is going to be tough. But a pack that includes Bateman, (maybe Cole) Lavaninni, Spencer, Taufua, Leibenberg, Thompson, should be strong enough to contain most opposition. It's all down to Bristol.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

A member of the audience asked why no youngsters are coming through from the academy and Cohen cocky response was as outrageous as it was arrogant.
Good post Traveller.

Just to put more 'meat on the bones'... at the Q&A in Feb/March 2018 a member of the audience asked 'why are no players coming through the academy'... Cohen laughed and smuggly remarked to the coach at the time (I think it was O'Connor)... 'so... how do you feel about us only having 5 England under 21 internationals in the squad'? It was completely disrespectful to the person who asked to the questions and led to some pretty vocal calls across the room along the lines of 'why do we never play any of them then?'

Looking back 2 years on... where are all these prospects Cohen was revelling in. I rated Will Evans... not played enough and snapped up by Quins... George Worth... remains on the fringes, ditto Olowofela.

And don't even get me started on all the players who have left us in recent years that are playing better now than they did for us. We used to let players go who were on the decline... there is a whole team neigh squad of players in the Premiership now who have left us and who are now playing at a better level than they did for us. More atrocious management.

As for the Quins result... good fightback or lucky 2 points... we will find out on Saturday. Wasps beat Bristol away. If we can't beat them at home we really are... bleeped...
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

MrPartridge wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:10 pm
A member of the audience asked why no youngsters are coming through from the academy and Cohen cocky response was as outrageous as it was arrogant.
Good post Traveller.

Just to put more 'meat on the bones'... at the Q&A in Feb/March 2018 a member of the audience asked 'why are no players coming through the academy'... Cohen laughed and smuggly remarked to the coach at the time (I think it was O'Connor)... 'so... how do you feel about us only having 5 England under 21 internationals in the squad'? It was completely disrespectful to the person who asked to the questions and led to some pretty vocal calls across the room along the lines of 'why do we never play any of them then?'

Looking back 2 years on... where are all these prospects Cohen was revelling in. I rated Will Evans... not played enough and snapped up by Quins... George Worth... remains on the fringes, ditto Olowofela.

And don't even get me started on all the players who have left us in recent years that are playing better now than they did for us. We used to let players go who were on the decline... there is a whole team neigh squad of players in the Premiership now who have left us and who are now playing at a better level than they did for us. More atrocious management.

As for the Quins result... good fightback or lucky 2 points... we will find out on Saturday. Wasps beat Bristol away. If we can't beat them at home we really are... bleeped...
Just goes to show what an utter twonk Cohen is. I have less than zero respect for him. Asset stripper?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

fentiger wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:34 pm
Good post Traveller.

Just goes to show what an utter twonk Cohen is. I have less than zero respect for him. Asset stripper?
The word I heard on Saturday was Genge has signed for another 2 years, Geordie is going up stairs and Borthwick is confirmed, and worst of all we are willing to let May go because we won't pay his wages so we are happy for him to go to Sarries
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:01 pm
fentiger wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:34 pm

Good post Traveller.

The word I heard on Saturday was Genge has signed for another 2 years, Geordie is going up stairs and Borthwick is confirmed, and worst of all we are willing to let May go because we won't pay his wages so we are happy for him to go to Sarries
Still beggars belief the club remains silent!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Good post Traveller.

When we had 5 under 20 internationals back in 2018 they were Heyes, Lewis, White, Hardwick and Owolfela. All have had regular rugby under Murphy (MOC never had any interest in developing players).

A couple of years before that we had Thacker Jnr, Worth and Evans. We made less of their ability though Thacker Jnr probably didn't have quite enough to make the step up.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Unfortunately we’re going to have to be very utilitarian when it comes to re-signing everybody, who will be more beneficial to our future, unfortunately that will be Ford and Genge, not May. Going to Saracens won’t hamper any Lions ambitions if Gatland will select him but I have a feeling he will behind wingers like Adams, Cokanisiga and Stockdale.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:54 pm Unfortunately we’re going to have to be very utilitarian when it comes to re-signing everybody, who will be more beneficial to our future, unfortunately that will be Ford and Genge, not May. Going to Saracens won’t hamper any Lions ambitions if Gatland will select him but I have a feeling he will behind wingers like Adams, Cokanisiga and Stockdale.
Do you think the Tigers have a future? Titanic comes to mind. The orchestra are the board. Perhaps?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Nah the Orchestra were too noble.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:34 am Nah the Orchestra were too noble.
The Orchestra did what they were paid to do and were excellent musicians. It was the Captain and the people responsible for navigating the ship safely who were at fault. Now who would that be in the Leicester Tigers context.