Fifteen Games To Go

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Fifteen Games To Go

Post by fentiger »

MrPartridge wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:57 am Merry Christmas. Not been on here for a long time. We had our daughter in May 2018 so I’ve only been to 2 Tigers home games since, although I’ve been watching on TV.

The Bill Walsh stuff is interesting. I follow American Football and he is a very respected coach. The principles make slot of sense.

For me Cohen has to go, but who is going to tell him that. To me he is looking deluded. We had the misfortune of going to the Castres debacle a few years back when we threw the B team (and us travelling fans!) under the bus! The club did a lunch for us a few weeks later in effect to say ‘sorry’. Nice touch but the Q+A that followed was a disgrace. You’d think Cohen was heading up a team top of the league. A member of the audience asked why no youngsters are coming through from the academy and Cohen cocky response was as outrageous as it was arrogant.

For me it is about the reality of the situation. We have been in decline since 2013. We were fortunate not to go down last season. This year we are on the brink. Wasps did a job last night. Are we capable of that? The next 2 games are pivotal and we need absolute minimum of 6 points IMO. Don’t forget 6N is around the corner with the 10 pointer v Wasps without our internationals.

I’d like to see Cohen go now. And I’d add Murphy too if we don’t take 6 points from the next 2 games. Brutal? But these are brutal times. We need a Walsh-like character to come in and conduct a root and branch review of our club. Maybe that will start with Championship rugby. And that might not be a bad thing. We just can’t keep the same people steering us further into oblivion and irrelevance.
Agreed, it's bordering on arrogance. What right has he? Tigers social media is also a disgrace, continually living in denial!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Social media team are simply following instructions from above board, in my view is better than what it was pre-2016.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:14 pm Social media team are simply following instructions from above board, in my view is better than what it was pre-2016.
Compared to almost every other clubs our social media is pants! I give you Bristol and Wuss for starters :smt023
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

fentiger wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:16 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:14 pm Social media team are simply following instructions from above board, in my view is better than what it was pre-2016.
Compared to almost every other clubs our social media is pants! I give you Bristol and Wuss for starters :smt023
What's the matter, did Leicester not lose today and therefore you are needing something else to complain about?
Bristol's social media last night wasn't complimentary reading!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

BFG wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:03 pm
fentiger wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:16 pm
What's the matter, did Leicester not lose today and therefore you are needing something else to complain about?
Bristol's social media last night wasn't complimentary reading!
Exactly! My point being that our social media team are in continual denial to the point of arrogance.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Quins and Bristol social media are in the top bracket, Exeter’s is very lacklustre. When it comes to denial, the media team have their hands tied behind their back, your problems with them are mostly above board.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

MrPartridge wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:57 am Merry Christmas. Not been on here for a long time. We had our daughter in May 2018 so I’ve only been to 2 Tigers home games since, although I’ve been watching on TV.

The Bill Walsh stuff is interesting. I follow American Football and he is a very respected coach. The principles make slot of sense.

For me Cohen has to go, but who is going to tell him that. To me he is looking deluded. We had the misfortune of going to the Castres debacle a few years back when we threw the B team (and us travelling fans!) under the bus! The club did a lunch for us a few weeks later in effect to say ‘sorry’. Nice touch but the Q+A that followed was a disgrace. You’d think Cohen was heading up a team top of the league. A member of the audience asked why no youngsters are coming through from the academy and Cohen cocky response was as outrageous as it was arrogant.

For me it is about the reality of the situation. We have been in decline since 2013. We were fortunate not to go down last season. This year we are on the brink. Wasps did a job last night. Are we capable of that? The next 2 games are pivotal and we need absolute minimum of 6 points IMO. Don’t forget 6N is around the corner with the 10 pointer v Wasps without our internationals.

I’d like to see Cohen go now. And I’d add Murphy too if we don’t take 6 points from the next 2 games. Brutal? But these are brutal times. We need a Walsh-like character to come in and conduct a root and branch review of our club. Maybe that will start with Championship rugby. And that might not be a bad thing. We just can’t keep the same people steering us further into oblivion and irrelevance.
Your story about the Q & A is interesting. I asked Cohen to name the last Tiger to come through the academy and become a regular in the Tigers XV (not a regular in the England team which used to be the case, just the Tigers XV). He didn't know. The CEO couldn't give me a name. When I mentioned a certain named Manu Tuilagi (and how long ago was that) he laughed and told me I was "just being clever". This the CEO of the club. He might have said "well it was Manu, but after that we changed our strategy and looked for more experienced overseas players.........." but he didn't. He didn't know and I was the problem for "just being clever".

Years ago in the age of letter writing I wrote to Sean Edwards and was critical about something he had said. At work the following week and my PA called through, there is a Mr Edwards on the line. I thought he'd be sharp with me, and he was initially, but as things wore on we had a very civilised conversation and he finished with words to the effect "well good talking, the games about opinions, keep being interested, thats what matters".
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Traveller wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:46 am Tigers can earn a maximum 75 points if we win all remaining 15 games with bonus points. I don't think we will pick up points away to Saracens or Exeter, which leaves us 65.

Newcastle were relegated on 31. Using Newcastle as a benchmark and the fact we currently have 4 points. I'm interested to know where / how we will pick up 28 points from the 15 games remaining. It will require a win every other game (+/-) yet we have only won three of the last sixteen premiership games. What will change to enable us to pick up those points and against what teams will we pick them up.

Obviously if we enter the NY not having beaten Quins and Bristol that will be 28/55, and then we will be without our 6N players whilst Wasps, Worcester and Sale will not be as hard hit. Answers on a postcard.
Yeah Ampthill next season only a 10 minute drive and 15 minutes to Bedford !!!
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Traveller wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:46 am
Newcastle were relegated on 31. Using Newcastle as a benchmark and the fact we currently have 4 points. I'm interested to know where / how we will pick up 28 points from the 15 games remaining. It will require a win every other game (+/-) yet we have only won three of the last sixteen premiership games. What will change to enable us to pick up those points and against what teams will we pick them up.

Obviously if we enter the NY not having beaten Quins and Bristol that will be 28/55, and then we will be without our 6N players whilst Wasps, Worcester and Sale will not be as hard hit. Answers on a postcard.
After some promising signs these last 2 matches I’m going to be optimistic (naive?) and say something like this perhaps...?

28 Dec 19 - Quins (A) 2 points

Current points tally 6

04 Jan 20 - Bristol (H) 4 points
25 Jan 20 - Bath (A) 4 points
15 Feb 20 - Wasps (H) 4 points
21 Feb 20 - Sale (A) 1 point
29 Feb 20 - Worcester (H) 5 points
08 Mar 20 - Sarries (A) 0
21 Mar 20 - Exeter (A) 0
27 Mar 20 - Bath (H) 4 points
11 Apr 20 - Irish (H) 5 points
18 Apr 20 - Glos (A) 0 points
25 Apr 20 - Sale (H) 4 points
May 20 - Wasps (A) 1 point
16 May 20 - Saints (H) 1 point
30 May 20 - Bristol (A) 1 point
06 Jun 20 - Quins (H) 4 points

Final points tally 44

I’m still enjoying the festive cheer and looking forward to a much improved performance in 2020.. NY’s resolution.. be positive!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:58 pm
Traveller wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:46 am

After some promising signs these last 2 matches I’m going to be optimistic (naive?) and say something like this perhaps...?

28 Dec 19 - Quins (A) 2 points

Current points tally 6

04 Jan 20 - Bristol (H) 4 points
25 Jan 20 - Bath (A) 4 points
15 Feb 20 - Wasps (H) 4 points
21 Feb 20 - Sale (A) 1 point
29 Feb 20 - Worcester (H) 5 points
08 Mar 20 - Sarries (A) 0
21 Mar 20 - Exeter (A) 0
27 Mar 20 - Bath (H) 4 points
11 Apr 20 - Irish (H) 5 points
18 Apr 20 - Glos (A) 0 points
25 Apr 20 - Sale (H) 4 points
May 20 - Wasps (A) 1 point
16 May 20 - Saints (H) 1 point
30 May 20 - Bristol (A) 1 point
06 Jun 20 - Quins (H) 4 points

Final points tally 44

I’m still enjoying the festive cheer and looking forward to a much improved performance in 2020.. NY’s resolution.. be positive!
I'd say too much :smt030 :smt030
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

This weekend, we've scored one point more than Sarries. A positive result.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Coleshillad wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:12 am This weekend, we've scored one point more than Sarries. A positive result.
Do you think we are battling relegation with Sarries? It would be a lovely thought that they were relegated but come the middle of Feb they will likely have overhauled us. They got a bonus point from an away match at Exeter. Exeter seconds thumped us at home. The gulf between them and us is huge and I just don't see them in the relegation battle. The only concerns for them is whether or not they can get enough points to get into the top tier European competition and in order to do that will it compromise their European ambitions this season.

Our battle will likely be with Irish or Wasps unless Worcester get drawn into it.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Worcester scraped a win this weekend against the Exiles, won’t be challenging for Top 6 but unfortunately the favourites for the drop won’t be relegated this season.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

In an ideal world sling Saracens out, let Falcons come up and shut the door! Would prove that cheats definitely do not prosper :smt023
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

mol2 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:18 am
Coleshillad wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:12 am This weekend, we've scored one point more than Sarries. A positive result.
Do you think we are battling relegation with Sarries? It would be a lovely thought that they were relegated but come the middle of Feb they will likely have overhauled us. They got a bonus point from an away match at Exeter. Exeter seconds thumped us at home. The gulf between them and us is huge and I just don't see them in the relegation battle. The only concerns for them is whether or not they can get enough points to get into the top tier European competition and in order to do that will it compromise their European ambitions this season.

Our battle will likely be with Irish or Wasps unless Worcester get drawn into it.
My comment was meant to be very much tongue in cheek, and Saracens will undoubtedly overhaul Tigers and pull away. What happened yesterday was just a hiccough and unlikely to be repeated. As for a relegation battle, we need to win three more games than those half a dozen teams above us, just to get into a position to battle it out. As for Wasps. Dai Young has been around the block and although they may be in contention for relegation, I wouldn't put money on it. Unless there is a dramatic improvement in performances, Tigers will remain at the foot of the table on their own. We have seen an improvement in performances, but it's points that's needed.