No Centres? (again)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

No Centres? (again)

Post by sapajo »

We always seem to have big problems at centre positions. Last season we signed Eastman, this season we signed Taute and Viljoen. Apparently Eastman is still injured, Taute has played one game and Viljoen a couple. Heard didly squat from the club concerning Taute or Viljoen. It's worrying times as its not going to improve our chances of staying up.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: No Centres? (again)

Post by RagingBull »

Why would the club say anything about Viljeon?
Was literally playing for the club on Monday.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Accept your point about signing players that struggle to stay fit and injury-free, but we are some way from the "no centres" situation of recent years. Reid, Hardwick and Tuilagi are all perfectly capable and as far as I know available. With McPhillips, Worth and Forsyth as backup if needed I wouldn't call it a problem area even with Eastmond and Taute injured. Viljoen I thought was seen as more a project player who isn't at the top of the pecking order anyway.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:14 pm Why would the club say anything about Viljeon?
Was literally playing for the club on Monday.
Thanks I was unaware of that fact.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Talking of losing Centres, did anyone else see Manu coming off yesterday? It looked as if he was either injured or completely knackered - he came to stand on the wing for a while, and then walked off the pitch before Worth was ready to replace him.
I think he had put in a good shift and I really hope it was the latter!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Young Strawclearer chatted to him afterwards - said he seemed fine and in good humour despite the loss.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Viljoen was pretty anonymous tonight in A team match, I don't know what to make of him.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:01 pm Viljoen was pretty anonymous tonight in A team match, I don't know what to make of him.
I'd never heard of him before we signed him, and I watch a fair bit of Super 15. Not every signing is meant for the stars though I guess, somebody needs to be the backup and he probably wasn't very expensive with the rand exchange rate what it is.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:01 pm Viljoen was pretty anonymous tonight in A team match, I don't know what to make of him.
A work in progress perhaps, he's what 22/23 and has an absolute cannon of a boot. A handy utility player we are hoping will develop into a talent during his time here. Hopefully he's just adapting and we'll see more of him going forwards.

He was up against Dingwall last night and he is a very good defensive OC.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Did you watch him constantly?
I think as a supporter you need to track a player constantly to really know all that they did and did not do.
The lad could've run tirelessly for miles covering spaces and you might not know whilst others just hang about waiting for the ball and then get a try and appear to have done something.
A player can work hard to get into some really good positions and not benefit through others mistakes.
Brad Barritt would not be in many Sarries highlights but he is often one of their most important players.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

BFG wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:25 pm
I think as a supporter you need to track a player constantly to really know all that they did and did not do.
The lad could've run tirelessly for miles covering spaces and you might not know whilst others just hang about waiting for the ball and then get a try and appear to have done something.
A player can work hard to get into some really good positions and not benefit through others mistakes.
Brad Barritt would not be in many Sarries highlights but he is often one of their most important players.
No I did not BFG, I only wish he was doing what you say, but sadly I didn't see any of that coming from him. We will have to wait and see but he seems to be too tall to me and not solid enough to match his height. I'm not decrying him, I just thought we had signed him as a 1st team squad player but so far I'm not convinced.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:36 pm
No I did not BFG, I only wish he was doing what you say, but sadly I didn't see any of that coming from him. We will have to wait and see but he seems to be too tall to me and not solid enough to match his height. I'm not decrying him, I just thought we had signed him as a 1st team squad player but so far I'm not convinced.
BFG I have just read the Tigers official report on their home website, they do not mention his name once in their report, I also read the Minute by Minute Commentary, again in 80 minutes of reporting absolutely no mention of him, so if he was doing all the things you suggest, surely the reporter would have mentioned something? :smt017
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

He played about 30 times in Super Rugby, scored some tried and was a Safrica U20 international, so you would imagine he must have some talent.

It's probably difficult coming with that experience and then trying to get yourself excited about a reserve team match in the middle of English winter.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:59 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:36 pm

BFG I have just read the Tigers official report on their home website, they do not mention his name once in their report, I also read the Minute by Minute Commentary, again in 80 minutes of reporting absolutely no mention of him, so if he was doing all the things you suggest, surely the reporter would have mentioned something? :smt017
I don't recall much contribution from Tuilagi being mentioned in the Saints match report and he is a pretty handy rugby player.