TV coverage affects results

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

TV coverage affects results

Post by Mark62 »

Disappointing day, excellent 1st half which for whatever reason wasn’t backed up, still I am slightly happier than I was at 3 pm

What struck me today was how tv coverage is affecting decisions made in the games. I don’t mean the TMO, it’s more them showing instant replays of what happens on the pitch, and then it being acted on.
I refer mainly to the incident where Kevisic knocked the ball on at a line out near our line, nothing else was spotted by either of the 4 officials, and Tigers had a scrum.

That gobby little scouser Healey then shows a replay of the slightest brush if his hand by Lavanini which the TMO picks up and a penalty is awarded.
I really do feel that TV should be prevented from showing these replays until the next phase of play has been completed.
I have no problems with the TMO. but it is turning quickly into decisions by tv replay
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: TV coverage affects results

Post by JP14 »

Healey is just overcompensating so that one can accuse him of bias. But you’re absolutely right, one of the cheats decided to crawl about 5 yards before Armand’s try and that was never showed by the BT Director, hence the TMO never got a decent look at it. I understand he is in control of all the camera footage not just what BT choose to show but the bloke is looking at multiple screens.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

So, I had the discussion with my wife watching on TV, does the TMO hear the commentary?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

fentiger wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:32 pm So, I had the discussion with my wife watching on TV, does the TMO hear the commentary?
I would say no but if he sees BT’s footage when Healey highlighted the incident he is bound to investigate further.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I thought he just had a load of screens playing all the cameras simultaneously during play and would have no idea what BT are showing.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:35 pm I thought he just had a load of screens playing all the cameras simultaneously during play and would have no idea what BT are showing.
No problem with him calling things during live play, but the particular incident was shown as a replay before the scrum was set. I assume he knows which screen is showing a replay. That to me is the issue, unless asked for by the officials who think there may have been an incident, these replays shouldn’t be shown immediately,
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

If the correct decision is made then I don't have a problem with it.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

fentiger wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:32 pm So, I had the discussion with my wife watching on TV, does the TMO hear the commentary?
The TMO has a number of screens in front of him and he has one screen which is about ten seconds behind.....this enables him to make a quick check of a situation from the ref without play having to stop unnecessarily.
I do not believe that he has the commentary feed into him.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:10 pm
The TMO has a number of screens in front of him and he has one screen which is about ten seconds behind.....this enables him to make a quick check of a situation from the ref without play having to stop unnecessarily.
I do not believe that he has the commentary feed into him.
Understood but he didn’t mention the line out issue until after Healey had shown the replay and highlighted it. Too much of a coincidence imho.
And I’m not just saying this because it’s Tigers it happens too often imo, and means that the match officials are making less live decisions
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

they also showed and commentated on Ben White being taken out off the ball after kicking, guess what the biased TMO didn't jump in to correct the error that the Exeter born, raised and residing ref had made
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

That's true Jimmy. Likewise, the try that was given despite Genge's hand underneath. It clearly showed that.
Although Austin commented that the ball may have slipped off, you never get to see that. A frame by frame replay
does not show it.
As for a referee living near one of the teams he is officiating? This has happened numerous times and I remember us loosing the cup to Bath, dodgy decisions and a ref living near Bath.

But the worst example was at international level when a supposedly neutral KIWI referee officiated in a game between England and Ireland. His name:? Paddy O'Brien! You couldn't make it up.
A life long Tiger
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:20 pm Disappointing day, excellent 1st half which for whatever reason wasn’t backed up, still I am slightly happier than I was at 3 pm

What struck me today was how tv coverage is affecting decisions made in the games. I don’t mean the TMO, it’s more them showing instant replays of what happens on the pitch, and then it being acted on.
I refer mainly to the incident where Kevisic knocked the ball on at a line out near our line, nothing else was spotted by either of the 4 officials, and Tigers had a scrum.

That gobby little scouser Healey then shows a replay of the slightest brush if his hand by Lavanini which the TMO picks up and a penalty is awarded.
I really do feel that TV should be prevented from showing these replays until the next phase of play has been completed.
I have no problems with the TMO. but it is turning quickly into decisions by tv replay
Unfortunately it was a penalty to the Chiefs though, you can’t touch the player’s hands in the air I know it’s frustrating that our misdemeanours were picked up and Chiefs weren’t but I don’t think it was much to do with Healey and the BT feed.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

It was strange how the TMO's words mirrored Healy's at both the controversial incedents, the try and the linout.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

BengalTiger wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:20 pm It was strange how the TMO's words mirrored Healy's at both the controversial incedents, the try and the linout.
Agree with that. My understanding is that the TMO gets the pictures and not the commentary. Either way it does still definitely mean the broadcaster can influence a game by either highlighting or not showing wrong decisions.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

If 2 players are competing for the ball at a lineout then hands will clash. Lavanini did not pull on the arm just bumped hands with the other jumper. This should have been a "rugby incident". The more worrying thing was how the ref penalised in at the side at one breakdown then ignored it at all breakdowns afterwards. To me it should be 1st offence penalty 2nd occasion warning any subsequent occasions yellow card every time.