Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: QUINS VS TIGERS 28TH DEC

Post by RagingBull »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:03 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:01 pm was happy with his signing but I fail to see what Green is bringing to us
Green looked good in the pre-season games. As soon as the premiership started he seemed to have fallen off a cliff. Anonymous in every facet of the game. Badly miss Spencer.
Top tackler 2 weeks running
18 made 0 missed this week
23 made 2 missed last week
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:58 pm The restarts were embarrassing and gifted them 3 points after we had worked to hard to get a try.
I was happier with our restarts in that we pinned then in their 22 and forced them to kick, when they decided to try and keep it on the park rather than into touch the decision to have Genge run it back was good thinking.

Receiving we were a shambles. I'm amazed we didn't see Murphy banging his head into his laptop in frustration. A full day of the forwards just practising their lifts and catches in order.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:07 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:01 pm was happy with his signing but I fail to see what Green is bringing to us
Green looked good in the pre-season games. As soon as the premiership started he seemed to have fallen off a cliff. Anonymous in every facet of the game. Badly miss Spencer.
Those stats always interest me because there is no stat for whether he won those collisions (conceded or made ground in the contact) and where they took place, I suspect most were within a metre of the breakdown. I like his work rate but I'd like to see more aggression from him, he seems a little passive.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Don't get the love affair with Spencer on here, not wanted at Bath, moved on to us by Worcester, big unit but doesn't hit his weight.
I think the board has a decision to make to improve Tigers back to where they were, get rid of the cartel of players that run the club or get rid of Murphy and bring in a DOR who is strong enough to take on the cartel and take their influence away from all things they influence within the club.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:14 pm

Those stats always interest me because there is no stat for whether he won those collisions (conceded or made ground in the contact) and where they took place, I suspect most were within a metre of the breakdown. I like his work rate but I'd like to see more aggression from him, he seems a little passive.
Not just Green, a few forwards need to be more dominant in contact. One of Spencer’s strengths is he is able to stop the carrier behind the gainline. I imagine Green would shine in a well functioning pack, just at the moment the forwards look a bit lost outside the scrum. Lacking any structure or any discernible pods, hence why we get turned over. We have good carriers, Genge, Lavanini, Taufua, Kalamafoni, get them ball in hand with the likes of Green, Cole, Youngs rucking out for quick ball.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean it's a lock, a lot of locks tackles tend to be within a metre of the breakdown.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:25 pm

I mean it's a lock, a lot of locks tackles tend to be within a metre of the breakdown.
It's where they should be but at the same time if you're making tackles at guard you need to be winning the collision and I don't remember Green doing that.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:20 pm I think the board has a decision to make to improve Tigers back to where they were, get rid of the cartel of players that run the club or get rid of Murphy and bring in a DOR who is strong enough to take on the cartel and take their influence away from all things they influence within the club.
This.
Noticeable that after certain players are subbed others almost immediately step up offering leadership :smt017
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Just got back from Twickers:
Well done all our fans who got there( took me nearly 4 hours)
Well done for the team digging in
TV full of enthusiasm and thought Ben Youngs had a very good game considering the poor ball he got.
Sam Lewis played well and chased back well stopping a try but then we defended poorly.
Both teams were poor.
Forwards still slow to clear out and must learn to offload.
Injury to Sinkler helped us.
Ref had a pretty good game.
Now beat Bristol to chase down those above us.
Let’s hope it’s a Happier 2020!
Happy New Year to everyone.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:24 pm

Not just Green, a few forwards need to be more dominant in contact. One of Spencer’s strengths is he is able to stop the carrier behind the gainline. I imagine Green would shine in a well functioning pack, just at the moment the forwards look a bit lost outside the scrum. Lacking any structure or any discernible pods, hence why we get turned over. We have good carriers, Genge, Lavanini, Taufua, Kalamafoni, get them ball in hand with the likes of Green, Cole, Youngs rucking out for quick ball.
With the changes and sanctions around tackle height the taller players aren't going to be taking the same risks to make a dominant tackle.
It is just a consequence of making the game safer.
In attack it is noticeable to me that sides doing well are carrying low one out to slow the defensive rush with the threat of head contact and then sometimes shifting it on again two out to a more upright runner/carrier.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:20 pm Don't get the love affair with Spencer on here, not wanted at Bath, moved on to us by Worcester, big unit but doesn't hit his weight.
I think the board has a decision to make to improve Tigers back to where they were, get rid of the cartel of players that run the club or get rid of Murphy and bring in a DOR who is strong enough to take on the cartel and take their influence away from all things they influence within the club.
Agree on this wholeheartedly.One way or another strong leadership is needed - the right kind of leadership.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:20 pm Don't get the love affair with Spencer on here, not wanted at Bath, moved on to us by Worcester, big unit but doesn't hit his weight.
Who is in this “cartel” ?
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:55 pm
Agree on this wholeheartedly.One way or another strong leadership is needed - the right kind of leadership.
This is a genuine question : I keep hearing mention of a cartel. Is this a fact? Based on what evidence?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Well our scrum won us 2 points, the rest of play is just really odd.
Eastmond offered nothing, YBY has perfected slow ball, we may as well not even offer a deal to Johnny May as we don't give him the ball.
There remains some players who really aren't earning their wages.

When our newer forwards in Taufua & Lavinini are the real stand outs you can see why we are where we are.
The team look really low on confidence & our game plan today was invisible, whether the coaches are actually to blame for that is debatable.

It took a angry Aussie in Dwyer to get us on the right path at the beginning of the pro era, we may well need someone similar to shake this lot up.

Still it was probably 2 more points than most expected..
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I agree our restarts may have been hampered by Kalamafoni’s injury but I still think we should have done better.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni