QUINS VS TIGERS 28TH DEC

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: QUINS VS TIGERS 28TH DEC

Post by sam16111986 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:00 pm Paul Lasike is an absolute missile of a man, 18st former NFL fullback, not who I'd have lined up against two injury-prone centres ideally. Other than that I think we look pretty good, fingers crossed for another big one from Lavanini and Taufua.
Lasike is big but has not really delivered in the potential. Good athlete but not a great rugby player. Hopefully Ford exploits his tendency to shoot out the line and Smith's average defensive skills to creat some holes in the midfield. First opportunity he gets I'd hope is a delayed switch with Taute crashing straight into Smith.
fleabane wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:07 pm
« Matthew Carley will be the man casting his eye on proceedings at headquarters, joined by assistants Andrew Jackson and Roy Maybank and Rowan Kitt as TMO.«

Why can’t we have Wayne every week?
Other than the forward pass call for Thompson against Saints I thought Carley did a good job in his last game with us. One of the better refereeing displays I've seen this season.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:52 pm
drc_007 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:26 pm Leicester Tigers (v Harlequins, Twickenham Stadium, Saturday 4.30pm)

15 Telusa Veainu

14 Adam Thompstone

13 Jaco Taute

12 Kyle Eastmond

11 Jonny May

10 George Ford

9 Ben Youngs

1 Ellis Genge

2 Tom Youngs (c)

3 Dan Cole

4 Tomás Lavanini

5 Calum Green

6 Sam Lewis

7 Jordan Taufua

8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements

16 Tatafu Polota-Nau

17 Facundo Gigena

18 Nephi Leatigaga

19 Harry Wells

20 Tommy Reffell

21 Ben White

22 Noel Reid

23 George Worth
Where is Guy Thompson also?
Guy Thompson remains sidelined due to a neck injury
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

“We’ve got some bodies back but we’ve also lost some bodies but we’ve had a great training week” ....GM’s pre match waffle. Hoping for a win but these games normally go the same way as th Exeter game...some good bits followed by some mindless pathetic inexcusable bits...ending in a narrow defeat. Very difficult to be positive about anything in the current climate. Care always seems to pull out a blinder in these games as I recall.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Manu is “sore” and because of the long season he has had the week off, I back Murphy on this especially if Manu is to play in the Six Nations and as well he has a young daughter to spend Christmas with (he isn’t the only one of course).
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Looking at the teamsheets makes me confident. Memory of the league season so far makes me less so.

Not at all concerned about the lack of a "natural 7" - does natural mean someone who has been arbitrarily labelled as a 7? Or someone who when born the doctor immediately remarked "looks like a 7 to me!"? Or just someone who more often than not wears a 7 on his back?

Taufua showed better breakdown ability against Exeter than I've seen from anyone in a Tigers shirt for some years, so I don't think we'll be lacking anything there.

Eastmond and Taute are an unproven partnership so, for me, that is the only worry. Lewis is young and inexperienced but plenty of talent and has experienced guys all around him in the pack so hopefully he'll be able to show what he can do.

We all know Manu's injury history, so if the coaches and physios think it's wise to rest him it's hard to argue. If it's because he has a young daughter then either he or the coaches are living on a different planet. When you earn half a million a year you don't get to take a week off at a critical time to hang out with your family.

Looking forward to the match, but with that usual suspicion that it will all go horribly wrong....
manxleigh

Post by manxleigh »

I have 5 tickets for tomorrow's game for sale. Bought them and can't make it. £25 each face value, will take an offer for all, or some. Block 31 Row 17 seats 57-61. For sale elsewhere, so first come first served. I live in Farnham, Surrey - so local pick up only im afraid.
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I'd like to see Geordan being braver with these team selections. Dreadful start to the season, yet players that are bang out of form (T.Youngs, B.Youngs) continue to be picked.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:47 pm I'd like to see Geordan being braver with these team selections. Dreadful start to the season, yet players that are bang out of form (T.Youngs, B.Youngs) continue to be picked.
It's a tough one as I don't think BW is performing to the standard he has previously and TPN certainly isn't an improvement on TY. I would like to see JK getting more game time as he was in great form for us this time last year and is a good prospect moving forward. BY gets the starting jersey for me with SH on the bench and it's a toss up between T.Y and JK imho.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There would seem little to be gained from playing a half fit Manu when we may end up having to leave him out further down the line when fully fit simply because England will only let him play so many games.

Good to see Lewis get a game against serious opposition. Showed promise against Calivasano but they are no where near premiership standard so hard to judge how good he is. Far better to play 3 back rows than 3 locks, although Lewis may well have a future as a lock if he beefs up more.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

mol2 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:05 pm There would seem little to be gained from playing a half fit Manu when we may end up having to leave him out further down the line when fully fit simply because England will only let him play so many games.

Good to see Lewis get a game against serious opposition. Showed promise against Calivasano but they are no where near premiership standard so hard to judge how good he is. Far better to play 3 back rows than 3 locks, although Lewis may well have a future as a lock if he beefs up more.
Manu can play every game for the rest of the season and not go over the EPS limit.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Happy with the backrow, should be nice and mobile against Quins with Lewis. Taufua has the class to play anywhere, don’t think we lose anything at the breakdown with him at 7.

Eastmond played one of his best games against Northampton last season at Twickenham. Underrated in the second receiver role so hoping for a big game from him.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Same as last week. A very good team on paper that needs to perform to exceed the sum of its parts if it is to win.

Two "first half performances" from last week will do nicely. No brain farts permitted.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Would be very interested to know how Eastmond gets selected in front of Reid, Worth & Hardwick, it really is time for him to earn his wages.
Would prefer Reffell to start over Lewis purely for back row balance, but memory tells me Croft always had big games against the sequins.
That team should win, but I struggle to feel confident, but I am confident we will give someone an absolute spanking in the league this season at some point.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yes Croft’s try in 2013, was it really that long ago?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »