Joe Batley signed on loan today

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Joe Batley signed on loan today

Post by fortysix »

All right I apologise to the young lad, who no one has any personal grievance against . Certainly not me.
I am sure in time, he will be a Genge replica. At 20 stone, even the latter might be a tad awed....

But obviously I put the point in an incorrect and unfair fashion---inasmuch we are bottom of the league, our star signing is injured, and we really need some star input to dig / drag us out of this unholy mess.

So if Liebenburg was on a good wedge, then surely but surely we could have signed a like for like, to see us through ????

No one really can expect a callow youngster, good as he might be, to pull up any trees. It really is not fair on him, for starters.
And , if he was or is highly prized at Bristol. why would Lam let him go to another relegation rival.???
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

It's a sign of the times at Tigers, when a young lad coming in on a loan deal, engenders such an interest. Good luck to him.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

fortysix wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:11 pm All right I apologise to the young lad, who no one has any personal grievance against . Certainly not me.
I am sure in time, he will be a Genge replica. At 20 stone, even the latter might be a tad awed....

But obviously I put the point in an incorrect and unfair fashion---inasmuch we are bottom of the league, our star signing is injured, and we really need some star input to dig / drag us out of this unholy mess.

So if Liebenburg was on a good wedge, then surely but surely we could have signed a like for like, to see us through ????

No one really can expect a callow youngster, good as he might be, to pull up any trees. It really is not fair on him, for starters.
And , if he was or is highly prized at Bristol. why would Lam let him go to another relegation rival.???
All good points, but the issue where are the players to replace one of our summer signings, wouldn’t say he was star, is also a valid one. All northern hemisphere squads are settled and Southern Hemisphere will be going into pre season so again who’s available.
As for Bristol letting him go I refer the gentleman to a certain Mr. Genge
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fortysix wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:11 pm
He missed quite some time recovering from cancer. As such he could do with game time. Bristol don't have any injuries of note in positions he covers and also recruited those areas in the summer. He's been on loan at Hartbury working towards getting back into contention so it should be a win for all sides. Hopefully he gets a chance for us and shows what he can do.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

fortysix wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:11 pm And , if he was or is highly prized at Bristol. why would Lam let him go to another relegation rival.???
Perhaps because Bristol do not expect to be involved in our relegation battle?

For me Bristol are a top six team, full player budget, largely settled squad with no contribution to the national team, great coach, good recruitment, great facilities. They have a realistic chance of top 4.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I've no idea if he's any good but why has he been signed? Is it injury cover for someone or what?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

G.K wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:22 pm I've no idea if he's any good but why has he been signed? Is it injury cover for someone or what?
Try reading the posts before yours and you’ll see injury cover for Liebenberg mentioned quite a few times
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Sorry to hear the lad had cancer, but brilliant he has been given an all clear.
Let us all hope he replicates Ellis, as another prize from Bristol.
After all, Tigers were always the No 1 Club in Europe...
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I have known Joe and his family since he was playing mini-youth at Gosport and Fareham RFC.
Frankly I am delighted he is getting a go at Tigers. He needs a chance to prove himself at the top level
and I hope he will do so at Tigers. He has the physical attributes to be a great second row. Being laid low
by cancer was a crushing blow to us all and we are delighted he has come through it.
If the Tigers way gives him a harder edge he may surprise a few people. I sincerely hope so.
Above all, he is a fine young man who will give his all for the jersey.. Welcome Joe. The force be with you!
A life long Tiger
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Given Pat Lam's mindset on the type of player he sees as making the Bears a top side in all competitions, I believe Joe is a just the type of player that the Tigers will get good mileage out of while he is at WR? I read that Pat can take him back a any time and that he wants hime to get some good game time. This will happen at WR as most of it will be probably played on the back-foot the way the Tigers are playing in the Prem at the moment? If he does turn out to be another Genge - good on him!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Smudge wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:19 am I have known Joe and his family since he was playing mini-youth at Gosport and Fareham RFC.
Frankly I am delighted he is getting a go at Tigers. He needs a chance to prove himself at the top level
and I hope he will do so at Tigers. He has the physical attributes to be a great second row. Being laid low
by cancer was a crushing blow to us all and we are delighted he has come through it.
If the Tigers way gives him a harder edge he may surprise a few people. I sincerely hope so.
Above all, he is a fine young man who will give his all for the jersey.. Welcome Joe. The force be with you!
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Seems like a good bit of business and could see him being signed up by us for next season. Seems a great bloke, adds physicality to the pack and can cover 4, 6, 8. In an attritional season we’ll need players like this.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TigerCam wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:36 am Given Pat Lam's mindset on the type of player he sees as making the Bears a top side in all competitions, I believe Joe is a just the type of player that the Tigers will get good mileage out of while he is at WR? I read that Pat can take him back a any time and that he wants hime to get some good game time. This will happen at WR as most of it will be probably played on the back-foot the way the Tigers are playing in the Prem at the moment? If he does turn out to be another Genge - good on him!!
Didn't we also get farmer White from Bristol, he wasn't bad either?
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

LE18 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:58 am
TigerCam wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:36 am Given Pat Lam's mindset on the type of player he sees as making the Bears a top side in all competitions, I believe Joe is a just the type of player that the Tigers will get good mileage out of while he is at WR? I read that Pat can take him back a any time and that he wants hime to get some good game time. This will happen at WR as most of it will be probably played on the back-foot the way the Tigers are playing in the Prem at the moment? If he does turn out to be another Genge - good on him!!
Didn't we also get farmer White from Bristol, he wasn't bad either?
Oh yes, and Martin Corry I think...
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Ian Cant wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:08 pm Leicester Tigers have signed utility forward Joe Batley on loan from fellow Premiership side Bristol Bears.

The 23-year-old has turned out twice for the Bears so far this season, with both appearances coming in the Premiership Cup.

Batley can be recalled to Bristol at any time and has also been on a dual registration deal with Hartpury.

"This is a good opportunity for Joe to get game time at a very competitive level," Bristol boss Pat Lam said.

Is this due to an injury to someone?
... so not good enough for the Bristol first team but good enough to start for Tigers.
OH how low we have fallen in the eyes of the rest of the league.. this is such an insult to our history and leaves a bitter taste, which some of us on this platform are far too eager to swallow!!!