Exeter Chiefs 21st December

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Thomas

Re: Exeter Chiefs 21st December

Post by Thomas »

The standard of coaching is well suited and appropriate to rugby in the Championship........which will be useful next season.
Unless the board grow some balls and do the obvious thing!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Qbec wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:02 pm Well played Tigers a massive improvememt keep it up & GM & Co keep the faith
Well played? I’m sorry but losing at home to an under strength Exeter side 5-0 and for the 5th game out of 6 failing to even pick up a LBP... no chance.

Yes a massive Improvement in many respects but the lack of leadership and direction in the dressing room at HT has once again cost us. 17-0 second half at home after that first half performance does not deserve a well done! Unless you have very low expectations for our once great club. I certainly hope for more.

Lots of positives. Some huge shifts from Lavanini, Taufua, Manu, Ford in the first half but a rudderless second half coupled with another 0 on the points tally makes me very concerned
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think Murphy was bickering with a fan, despite only being about a few yards away I couldn’t hear what was being said.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Such a shame after that first half. With the exception of some great defense at the end of the first half it all seemed to unravel when Ellis opted to take the quick tap penalty rather than have Ford kick to the corner. Kick to the corner, back the lineout which was working well at that stage and bag the BP before HT, not to mention a healthy lead. Small margins but no room for error against the top sides
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TTRITH wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:05 pm Saracens are now only 17 points behind us. Wasps get a losing bonus point.

Yes, we played out of our skins in the first half, but this was a pathetic end to the match. Where was the intensity to force a losing bonus point?

Geordans team looks great on the front foot, but when things start to turn against us he has no clue on how to turn it around.
I think it's a lack of confidence, when things start to go against us we start trying to force things. We've got to get past that mental block. As the game went against we started playing too much in our own half not committing to the kick chases.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Such a shame really, Taufua, Lavanini and Tuilagi were class, top shift from Cole too it just fell away from us and then we overplayed.

As for Pearce, I have no words... he fell for Chiefs cheating as easy as Romeo fell for Juliet.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

OakhamTiger32: You have too have played well enough to get the level of improvement seen today, which i think with that what the team as a whole showed today deserves to be shown that some of us, feel for them & want to say well done keep the faith & keep it up & the levels you are aiming for will come.
I read enough on here that puts everything & everyone down.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

btw today we had JP Doyle reffing London Irish and Luke Pearce reffing Exeter, this would never be allowed in football so why do they do this in Rugby, its a pretty simple fix.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Showed the difference between a Head coach with 16 years experience and one with 5 years today.

I don't really agree that Murphy lacks the talent or intelligence to be a head coach, he certainly lacks the experience.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Excellent all round display from Murphy today, half time talk wiped out an 8 point lead, substitutions came on so late all they could do is watch the clock tick down to the inevitable defeat (without a bonus point, to a heavily weakened Exeter team) and then got into a kerfuffle with fans in the terrace. He's out of his depth and the longer this goes on the more I fear he's making the position such that we won't be able to attract a coach who can dig us out of this mess, but let's be clear, responsibility for this belongs to the Board of Directors who put him there!
Last edited by Crofty on Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Wonder which motor vehicle Geordie will have us falling in/out/under today. A Robin Reliant maybe?
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Dear Santa, please help our Tigers
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Crofty wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:24 pm Excellent all round display from Murphy today, half time talk wiped out an 8 point lead, substitutions came on so late all they could do is watch the clock tick down to the inevitable defeat (without a bonus point, to a heavily weakened Exeter team) and then got into a kerfuffle with fans in the terrace. He's out of his depth and the longer this goes on the more I fear he's making the position such that we won't be able to attract a coach who can dig us out of this mess, but let's be clear, responsibility for this belongs to the Board of Directors who put him there!
I'm sorry but you can't place that soley on Murphy.
The players need to shoulder some blame as well.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Qbec wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:23 pm OakhamTiger32: You have too have played well enough to get the level of improvement seen today, which i think with that what the team as a whole showed today deserves to be shown that some of us, feel for them & want to say well done keep the faith & keep it up & the levels you are aiming for will come.
I read enough on here that puts everything & everyone down.
I’m all for positivity and credit where it’s due and that first half was well worthy of such praise. However; the lack of leadership and direction at HT and that second half displays concerns me and failing to score a point in 5/6 matches isn’t good enough. Yes keep the faith, yes it may come but there aren’t that many games before we lose our England boys to the 6N, then what?

That said, it’s Christmas and yes, let’s try and be positive so I’ll just think about that first half and I’ll be a happy chap!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:24 pm Showed the difference between a Head coach with 16 years experience and one with 5 years today.

I don't really agree that Murphy lacks the talent or intelligence to be a head coach, he certainly lacks the experience.
Brilliant player but I've seen nothing to suggest he will translate in to a good coach. I've seen it before where a fantastic instinctive player is unable to transfer those skills to a team he is coaching and can't understand why.