Exeter Chiefs 21st December

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Truefollower
Tiger Cub

Re: Exeter Chiefs 21st December

Post by Truefollower »

I believe today we saw some shoots of improvement, the first half was back to somewhere where we should be and the second was a team hopeful until 2 awful line outs that resulted in Exeter getting 2 scores. After last season improvement will be slow but we need all the support we can get, not the huge negativity on here or the mindless so called supporter shouting at Murphy. Remember Exeter are now the professional model of Tigers in the amateur era where the whole squad could interchange seamlessly. We have lost that and with the new signings need to slowly recreate it, Plus some of the more senior players are not what they used to be and need to realise they can/should be replaced.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Truefollower wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:50 pm I believe today we saw some shoots of improvement, the first half was back to somewhere where we should be and the second was a team hopeful until 2 awful line outs that resulted in Exeter getting 2 scores. After last season improvement will be slow but we need all the support we can get, not the huge negativity on here or the mindless so called supporter shouting at Murphy. Remember Exeter are now the professional model of Tigers in the amateur era where the whole squad could interchange seamlessly. We have lost that and with the new signings need to slowly recreate it, Plus some of the more senior players are not what they used to be and need to realise they can/should be replaced.
You know Murphy was Head Coach last season too, right? I suppose that was because of the squad O'Connor left him with though. The squad O'Connor took to 5th...

Why is the supporter "mindless" and not Murphy? By all accounts he responded with greater aggression and expletives, in front of children. If the so-called supporter had sworn at Murphy, or insulted him, then I'd agree with you, but it doesn't sound like he did.

Sorry if this comes across as an "I hate Murphy" post, he is a good bloke and a great Tiger but results and performances say that he is not a great coach, let alone Head Coach. Maybe he will be in future, but I don't think Tigers can afford to wait.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:01 pm
Truefollower wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:50 pm I believe today we saw some shoots of improvement, the first half was back to somewhere where we should be and the second was a team hopeful until 2 awful line outs that resulted in Exeter getting 2 scores. After last season improvement will be slow but we need all the support we can get, not the huge negativity on here or the mindless so called supporter shouting at Murphy. Remember Exeter are now the professional model of Tigers in the amateur era where the whole squad could interchange seamlessly. We have lost that and with the new signings need to slowly recreate it, Plus some of the more senior players are not what they used to be and need to realise they can/should be replaced.
You know Murphy was Head Coach last season too, right? I suppose that was because of the squad O'Connor left him with though. The squad O'Connor took to 5th...

Why is the supporter "mindless" and not Murphy? By all accounts he responded with greater aggression and expletives, in front of children. If the so-called supporter had sworn at Murphy, or insulted him, then I'd agree with you, but it doesn't sound like he did.

Sorry if this comes across as an "I hate Murphy" post, he is a good bloke and a great Tiger but results and performances say that he is not a great coach, let alone Head Coach. Maybe he will be in future, but I don't think Tigers can afford to wait.
You make very valid points. BUT if Borthwick is on his way, but not till after the 6 nations, do you feel that Tigers should get rid of Murphy, and leave Ford in charge, there’s no one else left, until Borthwick arrives, or do you have a suggestion as to who should come in the interim, or even who’s available. Honest question, as I don’t have the answer.

As for bad language, unfortunate by Murphy as the gent concerned obviously struck a nerve, but if you don’t want your kids to hear bad language don’t take them to a rugby match
MICK1236

Post by MICK1236 »

Most responsible parents take their children to the rugby because they don’t want them to hear bad language and see a game played with genuine sportsmanship. Unfortunately the game is changing and in my opinion not for the better.
I don’t want rugby to go along the football route.
There isn’t any excuse for bad language but there appears to be a number of supporters now who cannot control themselves.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

As usual I was at the game. When we stopped Chiefs scoring at the end of the first half I really thought that would lift the team’s confidence but the second half saw us implode.
My main worry is like last season Geordan doesn’t seem to think relegation is a threat! If we had kept our heads today to get a try late on we’d have got 2 points but we didn’t. I too have tried to keep faith with Geordan but lose the next two games and I cannot see us avoiding relegation.
As I’m at games I cannot comment about what happens at half time but am worried by Geordan reaction when we go behind: after the Saints game he said when we made two stupid mistake and went 2 tries behind the game was lost! Some of my friends have told me that when the BT cameras show the teams at half time very little leadership is shown!
TV, May, Tafau, Lavanini, Cole , Kalamafoni( apart from that first penalty) were excellent.
Chiefs reminded me of us in our pomp: wore us down then went for the kill.
Played the ref well and deserved the win.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:30 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:19 pm
Crofty wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:13 pm

Does it not frustrate you that a Leicester Tigers side that closely resembles our best 15 is seen as such a none threat that teams can rest some of their key players and still expect to take it on and worse than that not get that slight rammed back down their throats by one of our best performances in a couple of years? That's why there is anger here, we are now not seen as any sort of threat to the top teams despite having a line up with a goodly seam of internationals in it.

Leicester Tigers on the pitch are currently significantly less than the sum of their parts, week in week out.
You expected that to be different to the past 2 years today?

I’m not expecting anyone to have a magic wand, IMO Murphy is trying to turnaround a decade of rot and decline and not just on the field.

The fact that some fans look at the badge and history and somehow believe things to be different because of them could be viewed as part of the problem.

We are where we are and today was the best I’ve seen us play for weeks and Exeter are probably the best (maybe 2nd) best team in the league. They have a structure that’s been imprinted for 10yrs and everyone in that club knows their role in it.

We are trying to put right a long period of wrongs and it won’t happen Overnight just by having a decent squad but we’ve got the start of a good squad thanks to decent recruitment this past summer.
The first half showed we can play. The second half showed we can't keep our heads. As someone else said on here it's not a playing coach we need but a decent "brain coach". Stop the headless chicken syndrome, keep calm and think clearly under pressure. We've got the talent to get us out of trouble, but not the attitude?
The first half showed that players can play as individuals. Once the pressure comes on there is a distinct lack of structure and composure which has been the culprit throughout. The inability to change the game plan when it is needed to blatantly obvious. Healy is right, with an Int at 9 and 10 there should be no problems in changing the game? I do not see the structure and the understanding between the players theat you do see in the Sarries, Chiefs and Bears? The Tigers can play and play well, as was shown in the first 50 of todays game, but the ability to play as a 23 where each knows their task no matter at what position and and where on the park remains the big issue. That for me is a coaching issue that has plagued the Tigers for the past few seasons. Until that is addressed it will be a dog fight with Wasps and maybe Bath on whom get to go down.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

TigerCam wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:48 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:19 pm

You expected that to be different to the past 2 years today?

I’m not expecting anyone to have a magic wand, IMO Murphy is trying to turnaround a decade of rot and decline and not just on the field.

The fact that some fans look at the badge and history and somehow believe things to be different because of them could be viewed as part of the problem.

We are where we are and today was the best I’ve seen us play for weeks and Exeter are probably the best (maybe 2nd) best team in the league. They have a structure that’s been imprinted for 10yrs and everyone in that club knows their role in it.

We are trying to put right a long period of wrongs and it won’t happen Overnight just by having a decent squad but we’ve got the start of a good squad thanks to decent recruitment this past summer.
The first half showed we can play. The second half showed we can't keep our heads. As someone else said on here it's not a playing coach we need but a decent "brain coach". Stop the headless chicken syndrome, keep calm and think clearly under pressure. We've got the talent to get us out of trouble, but not the attitude?
The first half showed that players can play as individuals. Once the pressure comes on there is a distinct lack of structure and composure which has been the culprit throughout. The inability to change the game plan when it is needed to blatantly obvious. Healy is right, with an Int at 9 and 10 there should be no problems in changing the game? I do not see the structure and the understanding between the players theat you do see in the Sarries, Chiefs and Bears? The Tigers can play and play well, as was shown in the first 50 of todays game, but the ability to play as a 23 where each knows their task no matter at what position and and where on the park remains the big issue. That for me is a coaching issue that has plagued the Tigers for the past few seasons. Until that is addressed it will be a dog fight with Wasps and maybe Bath on whom get to go down.
Three decent team tries and we can't play as a team? Really? I don't buy into that. But I do buy into the poor coaching issue. Healey (The despicable little scally) isn't right about the world class 9 and 10. You need a pack to deliver the ball to them and you need a back line that is equally classy and experienced to execute the plan and change the plan if it doesn't stand up to first contact with the enemy.

Healey's view is "scrumhalfist".

Agree with your structure and understanding comments, but that has to be with the hands, head and heart!

I think I agree with you......though possibly said very badly.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:09 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:01 pm

You make very valid points. BUT if Borthwick is on his way, but not till after the 6 nations, do you feel that Tigers should get rid of Murphy, and leave Ford in charge, there’s no one else left, until Borthwick arrives, or do you have a suggestion as to who should come in the interim, or even who’s available. Honest question, as I don’t have the answer.

As for bad language, unfortunate by Murphy as the gent concerned obviously struck a nerve, but if you don’t want your kids to hear bad language don’t take them to a rugby match
Difficult to answer because none of us know what's happening with Borthwick, if anything at all. If he is coming after Six Nations then we're kind of in limbo and there isn't much we can do - although, that depends what role he would be coming for, which I can only assume must be HC with Murphy moving to DoR. If we were in a comfortable position that wouldn't be a problem - I just hope that the first half today is a sign of things to come and we can survive this season.

To summarise, I think we've got ourselves into a bit of a pickle. That's putting it mildly and assuming that Borthwick is actually coming. If he isn't, then we are in something that resembles a whole vat load of fermented vegetables.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

MICK1236 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:37 pm Most responsible parents take their children to the rugby because they don’t want them to hear bad language and see a game played with genuine sportsmanship. Unfortunately the game is changing and in my opinion not for the better.
There isn’t any excuse for bad language but there appears to be a number of supporters now who cannot control themselves.
I can only assume you haven’t spent a lot of time inside local rugby clubs after games.
I am a very responsible parent, and both my sons were told whatever they may overhear at the rugby club stays there
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:01 pm
TigerCam wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:48 pm

Three decent team tries and we can't play as a team? Really? I don't buy into that. But I do buy into the poor coaching issue. Healey (The despicable little scally) isn't right about the world class 9 and 10. You need a pack to deliver the ball to them and you need a back line that is equally classy and experienced to execute the plan and change the plan if it doesn't stand up to first contact with the enemy.

Healey's view is "scrumhalfist".

Agree with your structure and understanding comments, but that has to be with the hands, head and heart!

I think I agree with you......though possibly said very badly.
I agree the 9 and 10 have a large responsibility in changing the game plan and adapting to the situation. If the forwards aren't doing the right thing in delivering the ball, the 9 and 10 should be identifying that and telling them what to do - likewise if their backs outside aren't lining up in the right way. That isn't to absolve others of responsibility, but you want your experienced international 9 and 10 to be leaders and to control the team.

However, in 9 and 10's defence, what do you do when you need to avoid lineouts because that particular set piece has started to implode, again, and it's started chucking it down so you don't want to keep ball in hand? I don't have the answers, but it seems very narrow to blame 9 and 10 when you have a whole team of experienced players turning into headless chickens. If they don't all know what to do in the middle of a game, it must be hard for a 9 and 10 to dictate and impose a new structure at that point.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Individual moments of brilliance that kept the score respectable, the chiefs are a united team, have a game plan and stick to it, disciplined in defence, attack the break down and always turn over points in the red zone. The tigers looked a shambles in defence, the Young’s brothers were embarrassing with their constant chatter to the ref, we need a new captain, it has been apparent for sometime. We are defensively frail, fitness is not what it should be as the team were shot after 60 mins, the team is rudderless when under pressure, panic stations and no game plan.
Murphy is out of his depth and so are the rest of the coaching staff, in defence, attack, team structure and game plan. In action now and we are relegated at the end of the season no question.
Taufua tho was a beast, super aggressive and up for the fight, Fordy deserves to play in a better team, so do May, Manu and Genge.
One of the greatest club teams in world rugby is becoming a laughing stock!!!
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:08 pm
MICK1236 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:37 pm Most responsible parents take their children to the rugby because they don’t want them to hear bad language and see a game played with genuine sportsmanship. Unfortunately the game is changing and in my opinion not for the better.
I can only assume you haven’t spent a lot of time inside local rugby clubs after games.
I am a very responsible parent, and both my sons were told whatever they may overhear at the rugby club stays there
If you want to be a family club you don’t want the head coach effing and blinding at fans. We’d be rightly critical of Brendan Ventner if he was swearing at fans. Geordan let himself down, and on tv...
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

teds wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:59 pm
If you want to be a family club you don’t want the head coach effing and blinding at fans. We’d be rightly critical of Brendan Ventner if he was swearing at fans. Geordan let himself down, and on tv...
most kids will know more swear words than their parents these days, swearing doesn't both me personally, its more how it is used than can be an issue
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:03 pm

most kids will know more swear words than their parents these days, swearing doesn't both me personally, its more how it is used than can be an issue
I agree that Kids will definitely hear worse stuff in the playground, but I don’t think that means it’s acceptable in this context.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Off topic now but people really do need to take a reality pill, about what they see and hear. He acted with some passion, wrongly some feel, then he apologised. Move on people