Exeter Chiefs 21st December

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Exeter Chiefs 21st December

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Picking 3 locks is probably an attempt to make the lineout not disastrous.

Didn't work against Saints, obviously.

It's a ponderous back row combination; Taufua providing the only dynamism. Armand, Vermeulen and Kvesic will be licking their lips.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:40 am Picking 3 locks is probably an attempt to make the lineout not disastrous.

It's a ponderous back row combination; Taufua providing the only dynamism. Armand, Vermeulen and Kvesic will be licking their lips.
A number of posters have made the same observation, so I’ll ask you the same question that I’ve asked them, Why?
It’s an honest question, I would like to know why people feel this.
Green I get though I can see the reason why, but surely the other 2 are nailed on starters when fit
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Today Tigers select eleven internationals (487 - forwards 226 / backs 261) compared to Exeter’s ten (157 caps - forwards 56 / backs 101).

Nine of Tigers XV are current internationals having participated in the WC2018 (455 Caps) v Two of Exeter’s XV (97 caps). (Four if one includes Moon and Williams (117 Caps).

1/3rd of the Tigers XV started the WC Final last month (410 caps). One Exeter player played 30 minutes (26 caps).

The XV’s are almost identical in terms of player representation for their clubs (1225+/-). Five players having played over 120+ for Tigers compared to Exeter’s 3. Four players have played fewer than 20 times for each club.

There is no difference in the average age of the teams, (around 28.3 years). However Exeter have the oldest players on the filed by some way (Taione 36 & Steenson 35) and the youngest (Maunder 22). Tigers oldest 32 and youngest 24.

Tigers are playing at home.

There can only be one winner, and a convincing one at that. Can't there?
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Traveller wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:36 am ...There can only be one winner, and a convincing one at that. Can't there?
If only games were won on paper!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:42 am
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:40 am Picking 3 locks is probably an attempt to make the lineout not disastrous.

A number of posters have made the same observation, so I’ll ask you the same question that I’ve asked them, Why?
Green I get though I can see the reason why, but surely the other 2 are nailed on starters when fit
Put simply, Armand and Vermeulen are better rugby players than Green and Kali and they have access to coaching on another level to ours. Taufua is a classy player but he's no 7. Of course I'd like nothing more for Christmas than to be proven wrong but I don't think that's likely.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I take your point about Green, as I’ve said numerous occasions he’s been picked there to do a job, so let’s wait and see.
Not sure how you put them above Kalamafoni who is regularly near the top of the stats on both sides of the ball, and is a multi capped international.
Taufua is an up grade on Thompson and can play at a high level across the back row.

All imho of course
Raimond
Tiger Cub

Post by Raimond »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:42 am

I've read plenty of people saying it can only be to 'match their grunt' but surely it's to disrupt their biggest weapon, the rolling maul; to have an extra jumper in there to try and disrupt their lineout but with the added bonus there's another big'un with good reach to combat the maul if they win the lineout.

Makes sense to me (I think!). Fancy a win today, should be a fine game
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Whichever way it goes there will either be people on here saying, what a good selection for this game, OR hundreds of posts saying I told you so, coaches are rubbish, players are rubbish, board are useless, and what’s the best way to get to Ampthill.

We’ll find out around 4.45
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’ll be there today so let’s hope my good fortune continues, lucky socks are on!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

With that back row who will win us the ball?

In an era where top side seem to favour playing two 7s we can't muster one.

Play our best 6 at 8 and our 8 at 7 with our 3rd choice lock at 6.

Yes injuries may well have limited the choice but this is either inspired or utterly bewildering.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

mol2 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:54 pm With that back row who will win us the ball?

Yes injuries may well have limited the choice but this is either inspired or utterly bewildering.
Taufua played a fair amount of Super rugby at 7 for the crusaders.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

mol2 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:54 pm With that back row who will win us the ball?

And Exeter are playing their out and out 7 at number 8 as you say bewildering
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm a bit baffled by the level of negativity for the back row. Kalamafoni has an incredible work rate and some of you might be surprised by Taufua's quality - he's a genuinely top class player.

Green is a worry and would be the weak link when it comes to instinctive decision making and positioning, but if he can help defend the maul and force Chiefs to look at other attacking options then it won't be the worst decision ever even if he is caught out in a couple of other situations.

As individuals, the XV starting for Tigers should be good enough to win, so I don't think a defeat could be blamed on selection. If those guys play to their potential and play like a coherent team with a sensible game plan then they will be strong enough. That's a big IF though...
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

people are worried because we are taking someone who isn't playing well in his actual position and playing him in the back row over in form players like Lewis and Reffel, not forgetting Thompson, unless he has an injury I've missed, its not that hard to grasp and its poor management, it may well work today but when you tell young players "this is your chance to show what you can do" they take it and play well and you leave them out in this manor they will lose trust in your words and start to think it doesn't matter what they do
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:17 pm people are worried because we are taking someone who isn't playing well in his actual position and playing him in the back row over in form players like Lewis and Reffel, not forgetting Thompson, unless he has an injury I've missed, its not that hard to grasp and its poor management, it may well work today but when you tell young players "this is your chance to show what you can do" they take it and play well and you leave them out in this manor they will lose trust in your words and start to think it doesn't matter what they do
1) Pretty sure Thompson is injured, since he's been involved in pretty much every Premiership match where he's been available.

2) Lewis and Refell have been in form against much weaker opposition than is faced today. A good showing against Calvisano doesn't automatically win you a start against Exeter. Have some perspective.

3) No one in Lewis or Refell's position, having played just a few senior matches for their club, would throw their toys out of the pram if they were further down the pecking order than an experienced and proven Premiership player, albeit out of position. I too would probably have gone with Refell, but I just don't see the apocalyptic and trust destroying consequences that you find so easy to grasp.

4) Manor/manner. It's not that hard to grasp.

Maybe you've had a few too many pre-match beers already.