Exeter Chiefs 21st December

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Exeter Chiefs 21st December

Post by LE18 »

It was frightening to see how easy it was for Exeter today to score around the driving maul/ruck, can we stop them doing that?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

LE18 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:49 pm It was frightening to see how easy it was for Exeter today to score around the driving maul/ruck, can we stop them doing that?
Few sides can. Their forward work ball in hand is terrific. Simple things but they recycle very quickly and all their forwards carry well.

They were missing Skinner today as well who has become a vital part of their pack.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:49 pm It was frightening to see how easy it was for Exeter today to score around the driving maul/ruck, can we stop them doing that?
It’s the pick and go off the floor that is so effective and difficult to stop.
I may be barking up the wrong tree but their runners are very low to the ground which makes going to ground and getting quick ball easier. Might it be worth driving the man up and back and not chopping them to the deck
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Chiefs are so good at using their pick and go game to engineer good kicking positions as well as keeping ball in hand. They go through lots of phases but when they do kick it's very rarely from a poor position to do so.

A well drilled team who mostly have been playing together a long time now.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Exeter’s lineout is the perfect example of practise makes perfect, they also have good positioning and leg-drive.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Yeah, they’re very good. They’ve been a bit mediocre in Europe in previous seasons but they’re beginning to get it together now. I can’t see past Leinster at the minute though.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

MCC1964 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:17 pm Yeah, they’re very good. They’ve been a bit mediocre in Europe in previous seasons but they’re beginning to get it together now. I can’t see past Leinster at the minute though.
I think Clement and Toulouse will push them, a lot obviously depends on who gets the home quarters and then the semifinals.
A French team will be difficult to beat in Marseille in May
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

If you squint, don’t look too closely at it and kind of just gloss over the team selection and fact it was in the cup.. we have already beaten Exeter 27-7 this season and have won 5 out of the last 7.. come on Tigers! Looking forward to heading back to WR and seeing another Tigers win!

:smt038

*don’t look to closely! :smt002
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:31 pm If you squint, don’t look too closely at it and kind of just gloss over the team selection and fact it was in the cup.. we have already beaten Exeter 27-7 this season and have won 5 out of the last 7.. come on Tigers! Looking forward to heading back to WR and seeing another Tigers win!

:smt038

*don’t look to closely! :smt002
Yeah why not, it's Christmas! If England can beat the All Blacks in Yokohama we can beat Exeter at home.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

I'd play both Thompson and Reffell, we need to do something to try and stop Chiefs.

1.Genge
2.Youngs
3.Cole
4.Lavanini
5.Spencer
6.Thompson
7.Reffell
8.Taufua

9.Youngs
10.Ford
11.May
12.Taute
13.Tuilagi
14.Veainu
15.Steward

16.Kerr
17.Bateman
18.Leatigaga
19.Green
20.Kalamafoni
21.White
22.Ried
23.Worth
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Have to be playing Kalamafoni at 6, his best position and his work rate will be crucial against Exeter. First name on the team sheet for me in this game. Him and Taufua at 8 will hopefully give us some stopping power in defence. Lavanini and Spencer together for some added grunt in the engine room.

Pity Holmes and Olowofela are injured and having to pick a more conservative back three. Worth won’t let anyone down at 15, keep things simple from the back.

Sad thing is I’m sure we’ll look at our team on paper and we can win this game at home. Play however like we have in our first batch of premiership games and we’ll get a hammering. Down to the coaches and players to up the intensity and come with a game plan. Even if we lose, come away with a performance and we can build on that going into Harlequins and Bristol. LBP would be massive for us, sad indictment where we are currently but would almost be a victory in itself.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Spicer wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:49 pm I'd play both Thompson and Reffell, we need to do something to try and stop Chiefs.

1.Genge
2.Youngs
3.Cole
4.Lavanini
5.Spencer
6.Thompson
7.Reffell
8.Taufua

9.Youngs
10.Ford
11.May
12.Taute
13.Tuilagi
14.Veainu
15.Steward

16.Kerr
17.Bateman
18.Leatigaga
19.Green
20.Kalamafoni
21.White
22.Ried
23.Worth
I think I'd start with Kalamafoni at 8 and drop Taufua to the bench for a last 20 mins. impact. Otherwise not a bad call.

It will be the hardest game yet this season but if we play smart and contest the breakdown well it is there to be won. We do need to play more pick and go as a variation to first out but that style of play requires players to read play well and be alert. We'll see.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Frankly it will depend on the ref. Have an astute but picky one like Barnes, their blocking runs and sealing off dives may get penalised. Have a non-ref, and we may get clobbered. We have the power up front to stop them, it will test our maul and close defence.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Spicer wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:49 pm I'd play both Thompson and Reffell, we need to do something to try and stop Chiefs.

1.Genge
2.Youngs
3.Cole
4.Lavanini
5.Spencer
6.Thompson
7.Reffell
8.Taufua

9.Youngs
10.Ford
11.May
12.Taute
13.Tuilagi
14.Veainu
15.Steward

16.Kerr
17.Bateman
18.Leatigaga
19.Green
20.Kalamafoni
21.White
22.Ried
23.Worth
Good idea but Sale had the Curry twins out against them yesterday and it didnt work all that effectively (although they did lose one for a failed HIA).

Still, as others point out, the officiating will be a key factor.

Realism is coming in now and as long as we play well and get a loosing bonus point, I shall be happy (I am a pessimist by nature....)
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:51 pm I would go Spencer over Green, who I think is poor at the moment, Reffel over Thompson, and I don’t think Holmes is fit now till the new year
So would I
God created rugby so footballers have heros too