Matias Alemanno

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ashurstwoodtiger

Matias Alemanno

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Just noticed this article in Rugby Paper.
From Discover on Google https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/domesti ... orge-ford/

First time I have tried a link so appologies if does not work. Basically saying we have approached Alemanno and offered George around £600k as £450k was not enough and Bristol had put a figure of that on the table.

Thoughts
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Matias Alemanno

Post by voice of the crumbie »

On Alemanno - a 61 cap international who's 28 i.e. in his prime, what's not to like? Imagine combining him with his mate Tomas? That would be some 2nd row. If Gloucester and Sale can pack their squads with South Africans then why not Tigers with Argentinians?

On George Ford - £600k to keep England's best fly half? After the way he played last season? Absolutely!

If the club is bringing in / retaining players of this calibre it shows they definitely have more ambition than in the days when they were recruiting the likes of Mike Williams and Mike Fitzgerald. This plus the appointment of Jan Mc Ginity and the acquisition of Borthwick (if confirmed) shows some signs of the board putting greater investment into the playing and coaching staff than they did in the latter stages of the Cockerill era and the subsequent Mauger and O'Connor debacles. Perhaps they are finally waking up to where effort and investment needs to be concentrated.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Hoping for a success from MacGinty’s searchings in Australia too.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I'd rather have Kremer or Petti if we're shopping in those parts but Alemanno and Lavanini would be a terrifying second row partnership. My only concern would be if they both get called up together that's a lot of investment for the familiar old problem of never having our full squad available.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:10 pm On Alemanno - a 61 cap international who's 28 i.e. in his prime, what's not to like? Imagine combining him with his mate Tomas? That would be some 2nd row. If Gloucester and Sale can pack their squads with South Africans then why not Tigers with Argentinians?

On George Ford - £600k to keep England's best fly half? After the way he played last season? Absolutely!

If the club is bringing in / retaining players of this calibre it shows they definitely have more ambition than in the days when they were recruiting the likes of Mike Williams and Mike Fitzgerald. This plus the appointment of Jan Mc Ginity and the acquisition of Borthwick (if confirmed) shows some signs of the board putting greater investment into the playing and coaching staff than they did in the latter stages of the Cockerill era and the subsequent Mauger and O'Connor debacles. Perhaps they are finally waking up to where effort and investment needs to be concentrated.
Agreed.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Definitely gets my thumbs up. Would be a considerable weight pushing through the scrum and in the loose, Matias looks fairly handy
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

It certainly would be a formidable pack with Genge Youngs Cole Lavanini Alemanno Thompson Taufua Kalumafoni and considerable impact off the bench.. let’s hope we can sort matters out this season first though and stay up in the hope or seeing that come to fruition next season.. maybe with a quality 9 coming in and a Naiyaravoro type winger we could be set for a return to the good old days! Although I fear the politics and coaching setup needs addressing first if we are to succeed.

Wishful thinking perhaps.. but why not, it’s the weekend :smt001
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Recruitment has definitely improved dramatically. If Genge and Ford both extend their contracts that's excellent work and would have been my priorities this season.

Alemanno could be a very good signing - . It's exciting to see emphasis placed on putting together a proper pack again. With Argentina picking most of their team from Jaguares, and having plenty of other very good (and younger) locks, we may find Alemanno (if he comes) and Lavanini don't get called up while they're over here. Perhaps that has already been discussed, otherwise it would be a big risk having both of them.

As mentioned by others, we just need to find a solution to the coaching problem. Hopefully it's Borthwick.