Mark Bakewell - gone? - now confirmed

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mark Bakewell - gone? - now confirmed

Post by CitizenSmiff »

The fact that he stopped showing up to games or training was probably a bit of a giveaway. The BBC story I read a week ago had a quote from Geordie so I don't think it was meant to be a big secret, just poorly handled for whatever reason.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I have absolutely no axe to grind with Brett Deacon. He is a wonderful servant of the club. Nonetheless for Murphy to claim in the Mercury that BD is "a world class coach" is silly, and undermines Murphy's credibility and that of Deacon.

An Assistant Coach, with five years experience, in minor roles, in a struggling club, who has won nothing as a coach, cannot be a 'World Class Coach'.

That BD went to NZ to learn is laudable. He may have the potential to become a World Class coach. But how can any element of the teams performance support the claim that BD's contribution makes him "world class".

All it does once again, is to highlight just how ill prepared GM was for the role of Head Coach and how out of his depth he is. A competent Head Coach would have been supportive of BD without making a ridiculous claim. Not least because it was only in September that GM was saying how delighted he was with the coaching group he had assembled, which included a certain Mark Bakewell as forwards coach.

Which all goes back to the Board.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

And the award for reading too much into a comment goes too....
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:31 pm And the award for reading too much into a comment goes too....
My apologies on reflection I now realise Geordan Murphy is right. Brett Deacon is a world class coach.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Traveller wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:17 pm I have absolutely no axe to grind with Brett Deacon. He is a wonderful servant of the club. Nonetheless for Murphy to claim in the Mercury that BD is "a world class coach" is silly, and undermines Murphy's credibility and that of Deacon.
The idea may have been to try and fool the 80% of rugby watchers/readers who have absolutely no idea who Brett Deacon is.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Just another example if any more was needed of how the club try to spin the truth. The reality is Deacon is still an unproven and inexperienced Ex Tiger. As I have said before I believe we should always recruit the best coach for the job and hopefully this will be a very short term appointment.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

What happened to Louis Deacon. I know he was involved with England u20s for a while
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:19 am What happened to Louis Deacon. I know he was involved with England u20s for a while
Well the answer to that question can be found in our Head Coach's previous insights to the Leicester Mercury this season, before (and after) away defeats to Worcester, Irish and Saints.

"Louis Deacon has turned the corner, but has more corners to turn. He got on the bus, but never got off it. He went to their house to play, found the house, but didn't play. After each games there are even more things we can improve on. So, I am satisfied with the coaching team assembled for this season. We've got the excellent Mark Bakewell in charge of the forwards. And such is the wealth of coaching talent we have at Tigers, I happened to be walking around the training ground the other day and happened upon another "world class' coach in Louis Deacon. Or is it Brett? Or Deacon?"
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:19 am What happened to Louis Deacon. I know he was involved with England u20s for a while
Forwards coach at Coventry I believe.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Forwards coach at Coventry.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

And M.D for Matt Hampson Get Busy Living.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:46 am And M.D for Matt Hampson Get Busy Living.
Thought I remembered something about Coventry wasn’t aware of the Hambo thing. Thanks all
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Its nearly Christmas so time for a bit of the old Blarney there, must have been referring to one of the Leprechauns at the bottom of his garden.